X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• TS2412

My shop is almost ready...it has taken a lot longer than I expected but it is done right so I wont regret the extra time....Since the building was already in place and I just revamped it to turn it into a woodshop I have to live with the size....In place now are the scroll saw, the oscillating sander, drill press, planer and jointer...the last and probably most important to bring in is my table saw...I fell in love with the 2424 and it was my 1st choice, particularly hearing all the praise on this forum...but this is my dilemma...I dont have room for the 2424...will I be as happy with the quality and performance of the 2412?..this is just a small shop that will specialize in childrens furniture, birdhouses, etc...so I am thinking even if I could go with the 2424 I might be "overbuying"...so its going to be the 2412...have you guys that own this saw been pleased with its performance?...or should I just throw out the jointer and buy the 2424?...but I need the room to work also and the 2412 will fit perfectly...any feedback will be appreciated..
    Goldenwing

Goldenwing,

I have the 2424, and unless I am missing something, it is the same size as the 2412 (unless you redo the fence for 36" to the right). Either way I think that you will be happy, but if size is the issue, go with the 2424 (like I said, unless I am missing something)
    -Rob<br /> <a href=\"http://home.comcast.net/~robritch/\" target=\"_blank\">http://home.comcast.net/~robritch/</a> <br />Damn, I hit the wrong nail again. Ouch that hurts

Comment

I believe the TS2424 is a little wider on the left (it has 24"/24" cutting capability versus the 12"/24" on the TS2412). The work surface is the same but the fence on the 2424 extends further on the left. But even though I like the TS2424, I don't think I would sacrifice the joiner and would purchase the TS2412 but I guess I will like to see TS2412 owners give their opinion on that.

Comment

2412 is great it has done EVERY THING that I have given it, as for size, I figure who cares the differance should not make or break anything.. My regret now I wish that I had gone the 2424 for the wings, but I can upgrade the 2412.( I got a heck of a price in the 2412, story posted earler a while back)I am not unhappy with the 2412 only wish for the 2424 wings as I can see many applications to adapt differant assories. T his is an up grade in the future.. dd

Comment

Don't forget about the motor differances bewteen the saws.
          Andy B.

Comment

I have been trying to take all the differences and similarities into account....but since I am being forced to retire I will still consider myself as a hobbyist woodworker...the price is really not a major concern...the performance and personal satisfaction is what I seek...as much as the 2424 excites me I do not want to "overbuy" either...specializing in doll furniture and bird houses I think are not going to demand much of the 2424...My primary reason for posting was mostly to hear from 2412 owners and how satisfied they are with this saw...not that they would go to 2424 if they could but rather does the 2412 give them the performance they want and expect...thanks though for the input from everyone
            Goldenwing

Comment

Remember that the 2424 has the lift system so it can be moved easily and place some plywood on it and you also have a work area.

Comment

I have the 2412 and it is a really nice saw and does everything that I have asked of it. I suggest strongly that you pick up an Incra mitre gauge. It comes with an 18' fence. You can pick up the 36' fence and then you can get very very reliable and repeatable crosscuts. Tune up the fence and you will be set to go.

Comment

I purchased a TS2412 a couple of years ago, and kind of wish that I had got the TS2424 instead. The TS2412 does everything I ask of it, but by the time I paid for the saw, paid for the hercu-lift, the dado insert, and the dust collector, the total price was real close to the price of the TS2424 kit.
                  Also, in building birdhouses and dollhouses, it sounds like you're going to be working with small pieces of wood. Depending on how you cut them, small pieces of wood on a table saw are extremely prone to kickback, so your blade really needs to be adjusted parallel to the miter slot to minimize this from happening. From the posts I've read, it sounds like the TS2424 is a little easier to get this adjustment.
                  Just some thoughts to ponder.
                  Greg

Comment

thanks docdick.....all I wanted to know was how satisfied 2412 owners were...yes I realize it has the hercu lift system, etc, etc but I am trying to squeeze a tool into a space and still have room to work safely with it....in the future I might expand from my small hobbyists projects and then I can look for accessories...but despite that I cant expand the working space I have....and once I put the saw in place its not going to be necessary to move it on a regular basis so the hercu lift would just be sitting there....thanks again
                    Goldenwing

Comment

thanks woody and greg...glad to know you like your saws...you have both given me some insight into what to expect from the 2412 and your input is appreciated
                      Goldenwing

Comment

Working...
                      X