Woodworking is a contact sport!!

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Woodworking is a contact sport!!

Was cutting face frame pieces this morning for a big kitchen when a short piece of 1 1/2" wide cherry decided to attack me! Zero to OUCH in about 9 milliseconds!! Hit about 3" above my belly button!! And did that through my T-shirt too! LOL

Congratulations to Mr. "the sky is falling" Al Gore, nominated the new Village Idiot!

Re: Woodworking is a contact sport!!

Looks kinda painful, Meister! Glad that's all you got. Kickback can be pretty powerful stuff. Was it table saw or ???
    I put it all back together better than before. There\'s lots of leftover parts.

Comment

OUCH!! Whatever it was that you did, I bet you won't do it again.
      ================================================== ====
      ~~Don't worry about old age; it doesn't last that long.

Comment

Table saw. Little end piece flipped up and landed on the blade, blade grabbed it and shot it back. I got hit in the .........well.......Uh......you can guess, about 3 months ago. That put me on the floor and in my chair with an ice pack for about 2 days!
        Congratulations to Mr. "the sky is falling" Al Gore, nominated the new Village Idiot!

Comment

A few months ago I was running some wood through a planer and it kicked back and left a mark similar to that on my forearm. Thought I broke my arm. Its amazing how fast it can happen and the damage that can be done. Took me about two weeks before I felt comfortable using the planer again.

At the very least these painful reminders can be a good lesson so more serious damage isnt done, like losing a digit. I know in my case it taught me to use the tool excatly what it was meant for and nothing else.

Comment

so..what have we learned here?

1. be alert
            2. use the tool properly
            3. leave all tool guards on and in place!!!!!!
            4. concentrate on the task
            5. be alert [worth saying twice]
            6. address the tool properly, meaning standing in the correct position
            7. do not be rushed
            8. over confidence will cause accidents
            9. sloppy technique will cause injuries

Cactus Man

Comment

10. and what joey has always warned me about.

make sure to have clean underwear,

you never know when you end up at the drs. office

and i thought plumbing was dangerous

glad you weren't cutting form stakes

rick.

i still think ben has the years worst photo injury
              phoebe it is

Comment

I had a piece of cyprus decide to exit the tablesaw in many pieces a few years ago.17 stitches and 2 gone fingernails later my fingers were all back together.In 40 years using a tablesaw that was a 1st serious hurt.It happens no matter how careful you are.
                Sam

Comment

I did that exact same thing and the results were identical....except you look like George the Animal Steel compared to me.

Comment

Wholly cow...I was just coming to post in this forum what happened to me today and I found this thread! lol

I was cutting some 10" boards into 1 1/2 width when one of them kicked back and hit me right in the abdominals... I stepped back and said about 100 cuss words before I got back to work! Then about 4 boards later the EXACT same thing happened...in the same spot and everything...Needless to say, this is going to hurt for a while... lol

I have to also say, since this afternoon I've been a little gun shy about cutting small boards anymore today...

Comment

Biggest rule on a TS: Never stand in the line of fire for kickback. Most kickback will go directly backward, stand to either side.
                      I've had 2 kickbacks in my life. One was on a saw that had no splitter and I would've been in the hospital if I stood in the line of fire. The other would have killed me, it sent a spear of wood through 2 sheets of drywall. If I stood in the line of fire it would've gone through my gut.
                      www.TheWoodCellar.com

Comment

Scary stuff...

My friend was ripping full size sheet of 3/4" MDF on an industrial 15" table saw. When moving a cut sheet he dropped more than half of a full sheet onto the blade. The blade tore a crescent shaped "C" into the sheet and shot it across the room into a stack of wood denting it. Lucky for both of us, we wern't standing in the line of kick back. The way the table is designed is you stand to the side...

Comment

I was just thinking of something that happened to a manager where I used to work. He was using a bench top table saw ripping some boards in the back of his truck. Well, halfway through a board he hit a knot that caught the blade and the whole saw flip right back and landed on him... I ripped him right open. He lived because EMS was in the area and were able to get to him fast.

The reason I was also thinking about it was because his secretary (who hated him) came to work on Halloween with half a saw blade sticking out of her shirt around her stomach and with a mask of his face on. I know it's no joking matter but it's something I'll never forget.

Comment

My last hit was in my left.....um......well......take a guess. I ended up making this until the pain wore off! Everyone but me got a real laugh!!

Comment

Kickback twice in 3 months? Better rewrite the tagline.

Comment

Working...
                              X