X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tenons on a long board

Howdy all... I'm currently making my kids a bunk bed and I'm at a point that I don't want to screw...so I'd like some input or help...

I have to cute tenons on 4 boards 72" long. I'm fine with short boards and my dado, but I'm not sure how I'm going to cut them on these long boards. Makes me wish I'd bought that Craftsman Radial Arm Saw I saw on craigslist a few weeks ago.

Anyone have a howto? I'm thinking I should use my router because I'm not very good at free handing anything. Thanks again for the help!

Re: Tenons on a long board

what other powertools might you have to work with?

bandsaw or mitersaw maybe?

I can offer a solution if you don't.
    ---------------
    Light is faster than sound. That's why some people seem really bright until you hear them speak.
    ---------------
    “If I had my life to live over again, I'd be a plumber.” - Albert Einstein
    ---------
    "Its a table saw.... Do you know where your fingers are?"
    ---------
    sigpic http://www.helmetstohardhats.com/

Comment

Hey Bob! Glad to see you're up... I have a 14" bandsaw, router, and a 12" miter saw.

Comment

Do you have a circular saw? You could do the cheek cuts with that, after setting the depth carefully. Clean up the tenons with sandpaper. Do the shoulder cuts first with a band saw or jig saw. If using the circular saw for the cheek cuts, start at the end of the board and work towards the middle so the saw is well supported.

You could use a router with a spiral up-cut bit the same way as the circular saw. Just take thinner passes until you're at the right depth.
        I put it all back together better than before. There\'s lots of leftover parts.

Comment

hand saw, back saw, chisel, router,skil type electric saw,
          Push sticks/blocks Save Fingers
          ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
          "The true measure of a man is how he treats someone who can do him absolutely no good."
          attributed to Samuel Johnson
          ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
          PUBLIC NOTICE: Due to recent budget cuts, the rising cost of electricity, gas, and oil...plus the current state of the economy............the light at the end of the tunnel, has been turned off.

Comment

I've used a router will good success, if the tenons aren't overly long. Just make sure to set up the necessary support for the router base as you carve away the end of the board you are tenoning.

CWS

Comment

I made a long sled for my table saw to support the boards on the saw while i cut the tennons with my dado blade. I clamped the boards to the sled with hold-downs.My side rails were 77 inches long. It worked great.

Comment

I will also add to this, Router.
                Great Link for a Construction Owner/Tradesmen, and just say Garager sent you....

http://www.contractorspub.com

A good climbing rope will last you 3 to 5 years, a bad climbing rope will last you a life time !!!

Comment

If you have NOT already cut the long boards to finished length, it's a cinch to use your router.

Mark the both sets of cut lines for the cheeks of the tenon. Leave extra stock material past the outer cut line (this will help serve as router base support).

Using a straightedge guide to align bit and the outer cut line boundary, run the router with a straight bit cutting the outer edge of the tenon.

Then move the straightedge to mark the boundary of the inner cut line and cut that. Then just take your router back and forth in pretty much any manner to clean out the waste between cut lines. Flip board and repeat.

Comment

It's not even neccessary to cut the boards long to use a router. Simply leave about 1/4" of the shoulder uncut at the end. This will be enough to support the router. When the rest is trimmed down, simply take a chisel and remove the short segment at the end.

Comment

Working...
                    X