X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Rumor Mill! Ryobi=Ridgid???

I just got back from HD's in Mesquite, TX where the tool corral worker just informed me that "Ryobi just bought out Ridgid". I explained to him that this is not the case and that Emerson has left the business of ww tool making and was to license out the making of their line to another manufacturer. He understood and re-phrased that Ryobi would now be making the entire Ridgid line exclusively for HD'S.

Sicne I have owned Ryobi tools in the past (cordless set), this really has me worried. I think of Ryobi as tools for the homeowner and part time hobbyist. If this is true, the tools on my long list will change brands.

Does this mean the new saws (MS-1290) are made by them? Does it mean that the entire line will come from Ryobi?

Sure hope this is not the case...
    Kelly C. Hanna<br /><a href=\"http://www.hannawoodworks.com\" target=\"_blank\">Hanna Woodworks</a>

I've heard reports for a couple years now of Borg employees saying that HD owns RIDGID. Ryobi, too. Had a Borg employee once tell me that Redwood is hardwood.

Could you find a less informed group overall? Probably, but it might be work.

Dave

Comment

You know, it's newsworthy when an HD employee makes a statement based on fact. In this case, I'll wait to hear it from the horses mouth. (no, not a different HD employee )

Comment

...And I'd still be interested in getting the facts on a report stating Craftsman, Ridgid, some other brands all came from the same factory.
        (Wonder if that's like a cannery where I worked where the top quality went to Campbells Soup and other stuff became other brands with the lowest quality being generic house brands for stores.)?

Comment

Believe me, I'm not stating the guy is correct by any means. I don't know him from any other HD employee. Personally I hope he's dead wrong...

We know the Craftsman/Ridgid rumor is not true because Emerson quit making the Craftsman tools in 1997/8. Now the tabletop castings could be another story. As for the future, we won't know until someone speaks up from within either company involved. One thing we do know for sure, it won't be an American plant making the tools.
          Kelly C. Hanna<br /><a href=\"http://www.hannawoodworks.com\" target=\"_blank\">Hanna Woodworks</a>

Comment

This would be a nightmear........
            I haven't gotten over the poor quality of my Craftsman...Ryobi..... table saw yet!!!
            Rob Johnson
            Orange, Ca.
            Just tilt your head a little and it will look straight!

Comment

Even the very knowledgable HD employees I've come across, I do not believe a single word of which they speak. I have informed more HD employees about Ridgid WW machinery and many other tools they sell than I care to remember. Some take offense when you know more than them, others perk up their ears and learn.

Somehow I think that in employee meetings, information get's juggled around or taken incorrectly. And this is how rumors get underway.

For myself, Ridgid has history, and I trust that history, and the name. When Bob posted controls are in place to secure quality, then I trust that's so. I've returned defective Ridgid machines made outside the US, with no problems. I see no change in this.

Whom ever manufactures the machine, you are buying a Ridgid, the warrenty, the reputation, the service and customer support. I trust it is made to Ridgid's strict standards, and if not, will be backed has it has been for over 1/2 century.

All you can do is go through the store holding your head high, knowing you are more aware of the products they sell, then the people representing the products.
              John E. Adams<br /><a href=\"http://www.woodys-workshop.com\" target=\"_blank\">www.woodys-workshop.com</a>

Comment

See the new topic WARRANTY by Matt S...looks like the HD guy mighta been right...YIKES!!

Comment

I too have been told by an HD employee that HD "owns" Ridgid AND Ryobi, and (quote) "That's why are prices are as low as they are.". I mentioned they were awfully big companies to be owned by HD. Was told HD was a very big company.

WOW!

Dick B.

Comment

It's not the employees fault...HD's management is told this by corporate HQ...They think they own everything they stock...

Comment

I agree
                      Andy B.

Comment

I guess I'm lucky here in NW Fla. Our HD has the largest display of Ridgid tools of any HD I've been in. I travel for a living and visit several HD's in the southeast. A lot of them have never even heard of the MS1290. Our local store has one on display and four more in stock. One of the employees told me this past weekend Emerson would still be building the motors for the WW tools but didn't know who would build the rest. I went to HD to buy cypress mulch for flower beds, but went through tools first to see if anything was on sale. One of the employees asked if he could help and I told him I wanted to buy three more Ridgid WW tools , but would have to wait for another sale. He then pulled out a 10% off coupon and loaded up the tools I wanted. Wife wasn't too happy when I got home without her mulch and a truck load of new tools.

Comment

I just made a post on the Ryobi foru web page m chech out.

[ 05-27-2003, 06:34 PM: Message edited by: Andy B. ]
                          Andy B.

Comment

Working...
                          X