X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• heater

winter is approaching and im starting to think of a new way to heat my shop. it needs to be cheap, puts out a lot of heat and adjustable. i am not worried about venting it. any ideas.

Re: heater

Whats cheap about heating? The best heating savings is your amount of insulation in the walls and ceiling. Slab heating is probably one of the best for the bang of your dollar.

Do not use open flame in your shop, way to dangerous.

Oh Levon, I see your in Georgia, so it won't take much heat in your shop, since you do not get cold like we do, so maybe a ceiling hung space heater will do, electric or gas.
    Last edited by garager; 10-26-2008, 04:18 PM.
    Great Link for a Construction Owner/Tradesmen, and just say Garager sent you....

http://www.contractorspub.com

A good climbing rope will last you 3 to 5 years, a bad climbing rope will last you a life time !!!

Comment

How cold can it get in Tifton, GA? C'mon up in this neck of the woods in a couple of months or so and garager and I will treat you to some really cold stuff.
      Teach your kids about taxes..........eat 30 percent of their ice cream.

Comment

i think both you guys are super, but i will have to stay in this arctic section, lol! it does get cool in the mornings and sometimes we have 3 or 4 cold days a year, (example) highs in the 30's. but i do still need a little heat. my shop is small but uninsulated.

Comment

all joking aside, i would like to visit you if im ever lucky enough to be in the area.

Comment

Badger Dave, i see you like to fish. what species do you fish for in your part of Wisconsin? do you have crappie up there? i fish for largemouth bass, crappie and bream. its not cold enough here for smallmouth bass to live. we do have shaol bass that look like smallmouth.

Comment

garager, would a gas ceiling hung space heater have an open flame??? Would a torpedo heater be safe??? Thanks Pat

Comment

I also live in the frigid north (North Atlanta that is) and am looking for some heat for my two car garage/workshop. I was at Home Depot yesterday looking at 20,000 - 30,000 btu/hr heaters, comparing the kerosene, LP convection and the LP infra red. The employee that offerred to to help happens to build mahagony sail boats in his workshop. He highly recommended the infra red (the kind that sits on top of a 20lb tank). His view was that kerosene leaves too much residue on hard wood and creates a finishing problem. The convection ones are a bit noisy and move air (and dust). He only uses the Infra red, which radiate and were also the cheapest. I got the one with the dual radiators on top and is rated up to 30,000btu/hr. Now to test it.

Comment

keep in mind that for every pound of propane you burn you are adding the same amount of water to your garage atmosphere. If you do not have good ventilation the humidity will increase to a point where you will begin to see flash rust on unprotected cast iron and your wood will also absorb moisture

Comment

I have been doing research on this for the last 2 years working in a cold garage. I tried the on the tank propane heaters. Very hot in front but did not heat the garage up. I thought about the so called torpedo kerosene heaters. They put out the heat but are as loud as a jet engine. Didn’t need the stress will all that noise. Then I found this heater http://www.pinnacleint.com/sunstream.html
                    I bought one and started it in my 2 ½ car garage. It was 55 degrees after ½ hour it was 80 degrees. I belive it will serve me well this winter in Michigan. At 20 degrees outside air temp I hope to only run it 15 minutes every hour or so. This is so much quieter than the other forced air kerosene heaters.
                    Click image for larger version

Name:	2721e96563a7aceeed13a22131a0bb9e.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	240.8 KB
ID:	4737

Comment

Levon, first off, insulate that shop. You will need less heat (btu's) to heat it up quickly reducing the amount you spend on a heater and the amount of time required to heat it up and retain the heat.

When you size for heating, one of the critical elements is R-value. You do not have insulation so you would require a larger heater and use more fuel. How big of area are you heating?

I have used kerosene, propane and electric to heat my shop. Kerosene was horribly expensive and stunk. Propane was sneaky. It secretly rusted my tools. Electric was the best if, I kept it on continually by thermostat. I ran a natural gas line to my shop this summer and I have a unit heater with sealed combustion on order so I'll see how that works out.

So, I guess my opinion for your area would be insulate the shop and use a small electric heater. Hope this help out.

Those leaf footed bugs are gone now! ya!
                      Anyone can tear a man down, few can build one up.

Comment

Working...
                      X