X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• R4330/TP1300 Shavings Collection without DC

For those who have no separate DC unit aside from a shopvac, what do you find is the best way to handle the shavings?

Seems like the planer would get clogged up if I just had the shavings spewing out the hood, but a shopvac would fill up really quick. My shopvac does great hooked up to my 3660, but seems like shavings volume would be just too much.

Is there a common way of dealing with this? Or does everyone just build a trash-can separator? Any suggestions- trying to plan ahead before a planer shows up at my door.

Re: R4330/TP1300 Shavings Collection without DC

Sounds like you've already hit on pretty much all the ways to collect chips from a planer. Why not just pick one and run with it.
    Teach your kids about taxes..........eat 30 percent of their ice cream.

Comment

I currently use a 15 gal shop vac and have had no problem with it filling up to quickly. I even use the bags inside the shop vac. I'm not sure how much dust i've fit into one bag but i recently built 2 bookcases and a bathroom vanity and the bag still had a little room left with planning,jointing,table sawing, and routing.

Comment

My shop vac can't keep up with the volume if I am:
        1) taking off a sizable thickness (e.g. 1/8") or
        2) planing a wide board.

Once the hose clogs up, you'll get immediate backup of the chips and you'll probably start seeing a "chip" imprint on your wood. You *can* use just a shop vac, but you'll need to take off just the slightest amount per pass, in my experience.

I wound up getting a small, portable 4" DC from Harbor Freight. Only $99 on sale, and it works great for my planer and for my jointer, and general shop cleanup, and my lathe hood... overall, handy to have.

Here are some options (the product, not the stores):
        http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/cta...emnumber=99791

http://www.sears.com/shc/s/p_10153_1...0070921x00003a

http://www.toolmarts.com/del_ap300.html

Comment

I totally agree with Wood Junkie that a small dust collector like the ones he linked you to will do a very good job hooked up to a jointer or planer. Although they are a great improvement over a shop vac, they also tend to be just as noisy as a shop vac. For under $200 Harbor Freight also offers a full fledged DC that will run much quieter.

Harbor Freight 97869 Dust Collector
          Teach your kids about taxes..........eat 30 percent of their ice cream.

Comment

If you still want to use your shop vac check out the cyclone lid. You just drop this on top of a barrel and hook up your vac and all of the heavy stuff falls into the barrel and your shop vac just fills up with the fine dust, so you can use a bag. I have one and it works great.

Click here

Comment

I built a Thien Cyclone http://www.cgallery.com/jpthien/cy.htm separator lid for mine. Based on a 20 gallon galvanized steel trash can. These can be sized up to a 55 gallon drum if you have access to, and desire to empty such a beast, or down to a 5 gallon (at that point, what's the point?).

It was pretty simple to build, and works exceedingly well.

And YES your planer will fill up with shavings if you run it without some sort of extraction.

Comment

Working...
              X