Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How About A Dime

Hello Everyone,
    I just wanted to thank everyone for giving me advice on my tablesaw purchase. Picked it up on Wednesday about 3pm and fired it up about 9pm to make sure it ran. For a second I couldn't tell if it was on. The saw is super quiet. I haven't had the time to use it yet but I just ran a little test. Set a dime on the table top and hit the switch. The dime never flinched from start-up to shut-down. Needless to say I am impressed with my purchase. Again I want to thank everyone for responding to my first post.

Gregg

And they say a dime wont buy much any more!!!!!!!! I ve done the same with my TS2424. It's a great saw. [img]smile.gif[/img]
    Dan<br /> <a href=\"http://community.webshots.com/user/pepaw101\" target=\"_blank\">http://community.webshots.com/user/pepaw101</a>

Comment

Now wait a minute, guys. I was born at night, but it wasn't last night.

You're saying that you can balance a dime (oh, hell, a 50 cent piece) on your table, then start the machine and the coin stands up? Thru power up and power down?

Y'all got some fine equipment there.

Jake, where's the end of the line for complaints? My Panamanian 5 centavo falls down every time I hit the switch...

JS

Comment

Joe Shelton,
        My TS2424LS runs smooth enough to stand a nickel up on the table, turn the machine on, run it for however long and power it down without falling over. I was able to do this several times in a row, finally putting the nickel back in my pocket... I believe the key is a nice level saw, true pulley alignment, and keep the nickel away from the wind the saw blade contributes. Other than that, next time I pull the TS out, I'm gonna try the dime test... Oh by the way, the saw is running on 220v.
        Regards,<br /><br />Big Johnson<br /><br />Pictures: <a href=\"http://www.woodworkersweb.com/modules.php?set_albumName=albuv85&op=modload&name= gallery&file=index&include=view_album.php\" target=\"_blank\">http://www.woodworkersweb.com/modules.php?set_albumName=albuv85&op=modload&name= gallery&file=index&include=view_album.php</a>

Comment

I just tried several times, and I can't get a dime to stand up on my desk. Guessing the tablesaw ain't going to fare any better.

Regulation U.S. dime, 2001 model, Denver mint. FDR on face.

Dave

Comment

Hello Dave A.,
            Pretend you are playing that old game Operation (Takes A Very Steady Hand). Anyway it was just a little fun and game test I was trying to see if the saw was really as smooth as everyone had stated. Including the magazine reviews. Oh by the way the first time I did the dime test the saw was up on the casters and not down on the feet. Makes it even more impressively smooth and vibration free. Gotta run.

Gregg

Comment

Couple more questions, Gregg.

(1) When on the casters, do you roll it around? Clock-wise or counter-clock-wise?

(2) Are you using the edge with the FDR face down?

I'm never going to get any more wood cut - between converting my saw's motor to kerosene as suggested elsewhere (thanks, Dan), and balancing my new scratch awl on the Ind-I-Cut pad, I'll never get off ground zero.

I wonder if that works with the blade tilted...

Joe

Comment

Hi Joe,
                I guess I am just really impressed with my new saw. I have never had a full size tablesaw only a benchtop. My wooodworking desires have far outgrown that model. And no the dime wasn't face down but I have not been able to duplicate the first dimes accomplishment. Maybe the first dime had a sweet spot. Any way you slice it as far I am concerned you can not find a better saw for the money. See Ya.

Comment

Gregg, I ain't accusing you of anything, but I think you got yourself a rigged dime there. I keep playing with mine and it doesn't even think about standing on edge.

Glad you like the new machine. I'm pretty fond of mine, also.

Dave

Comment

Dave,

I was able to do it once, but then knocked it over (on the desk). Cant do it a second time though. Gee are we all really this bored?
                    -Rob<br /> <a href=\"http://home.comcast.net/~robritch/\" target=\"_blank\">http://home.comcast.net/~robritch/</a> <br />Damn, I hit the wrong nail again. Ouch that hurts

Comment

OK, simple solution. All you guys send me your dimes (need at least 30 each. You know, large sample for valid test.)

Then I'll do a very fair, unbiased test. I'll report, in 25 words or less, exactly why you're my favorite group of contributors to knowledge and empirical inquiry.

All test materials become the property of the testing agent.

For multi-factor purposes, it'd be good for some of you to include other denominations. Anyone tried any dead presidents?

Hey Gregg - I'm with you, man. I only got mine going about a week ago, and the only reason I'm tapping these keys is that my wife says I can't go back out there and wax the top again.

Comment

Wow a dime, now that is impressive. We don't even advertise that you can start the saw with a nickle standing up (with RIDGID saw you can). All our ads say try standing nickle on the saw while its running.

Jake

Comment

Just have to throw my two cents in... well make that one cent. I purchased a TS-2412 last weekend and finally got everything set up and aligned, had to repeat some of the alignment steps due to operator error but here are the results. I can place a penny on edge and run the saw from start up to shut down without it even flinching . I followed a sage piece of advice "measure the wood not the machine". With the rip fence set to 4" by the scale I sliced off a piece of wood and measured it with my dial calipers the wood was only .001" inches off of being 4". I have to admit that this is one sweet machine and it beats the pants of the craftsman that now collects the sawdust from the ridgid.

Comment

Try the Fenner (red) link belts and busings. They are great at reducing vibration and, unlike the OEM belt, will never acquire a set from the motor hanging on it all day. Great inexpensive improvement to the TS2424.

Art

Comment

Art, my TS2424 is only about 3 years old, but the belt has never taken a set. I use Fenner link belts on some of my other equipment, and I would not consider them an upgrade for the TS2424.

Dave

Comment

Working...
                              X