Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ridgid 12 slide miter

I have a question about calibration.
    how do you fine tune your miters? I have cut 3 sides to a square and they all fit but when I get to the 4th side it is out by 1/8 of an inch and this frame is only 6.5 inches square?
    I have started from scratch and set the blade square at least as far as I can tell. I checked the bevel also and reset it. but I still have this out of square problem???? What can I do to correct this?? thanks

Re: ridgid 12 slide miter

Are you making all your cuts on the same side of the blade? If not and you're not taking into consideration the kerf of the saw blade that could be your problem.
    ================================================== ====
    All of us could take a lesson from the weather. It pays no attention to criticism.

Comment

I use the following method and get real good frames.
      1. Make sure all the sides are cut to the exact length.
      2. Make all cuts from the inside cut to the outside on the miters.
      3. Set the first miter cut up and attach a small smooth block of wood tothe fence close to the blade so that when the miter cut on the 1st board is lined up on the saw correctly you can move the fence and the block of wood to touch the corner of the board being cut. Lock the fence down and for the rest of the cuts make sure the board comes in contact with the board on the fence.
      So far this has worked well for me.
      I also use a book The Picture Frame Guide that helps me determine the length of the pieces. It was written by the man who designed the Dubby.
      I think I saw it in Lowe's but you can also get it from the website that sells the dubby.
      I didn't realize that it was a miter saw at first. Sorry about that.
      www.in-lineindustries.com
      Last edited by harrison2119; 10-28-2008, 06:12 PM. Reason: Finially realized it isn't a table saw.

Comment

I am not trying to make picture frames I was checking my saw!!
        I can set the angle to 45 and square as well as the bevel on the left side but if I check the right side it isn't square nor is the 45 true amd the bevel isn't straight up amd down!!
        The left side calibrates but not the right???
        If I try to calibrate the right side then the left side is off!!!!
        ANY SUGGESTIONS??

Comment

One other thing you might check is whether or not the table is flexing when you lower the blade arm. In the past, this has been a problem with the non slider Ridgid CMS's. Although I don't recall anyone finding this problem with the 12" slider it's worth looking into. On the regular CMS's, If the blade arm isn't lowered into the wood at the angle of the cut or bevel the table had a tendency to flex which would cause an inaccurate cut. Try putting some side pressure on the blade mechanism as you lower it into the wood and watch the table to see if it flexes.
          ================================================== ====
          All of us could take a lesson from the weather. It pays no attention to criticism.

Comment

Another thing you can do is to buy a miter saw that is accurate. Ridgid miter saws are good for only rough framing and that's about it. They can't cut accurately.

Comment

Originally posted by Newman View Post
              Another thing you can do is to buy a miter saw that is accurate. Ridgid miter saws are good for only rough framing and that's about it. They can't cut accurately.
              I'm afraid that this is true.
              Great Link for a Construction Owner/Tradesmen, and just say Garager sent you....

http://www.contractorspub.com

A good climbing rope will last you 3 to 5 years, a bad climbing rope will last you a life time !!!

Comment

I had two of them. Now I have none. Brought both back and got my money back. I use my old Black and Decker chop saw which is 20 years old.

-Tom

Comment

Originally posted by garager View Post
                  I'm afraid that this is true.

I believe it. They are junk, I am disappointed in it. I am disabled and cannot afford to get anything else!!

Comment

Originally posted by pappy3 View Post
                    I believe it. They are junk, I am disappointed in it. I am disabled and cannot afford to get anything else!!
                    Well I'm not saying that they are junk. I do like mine alot, but I do framing/rough work with mine. Mine is a smidgen off, which I can still do trim work with this and they come out looking professional done. The reason behind this is, there are virtually no true corners in any buildings. Warped lumber, mudded corners and so on.

What are you using your saw for? If its for trim work, the saw isn't your problem, unless your going with 8" trim boards or wider. All saws have a problem or two, thats the great thing about the internet,research just became 100 times easier...
                    Great Link for a Construction Owner/Tradesmen, and just say Garager sent you....

http://www.contractorspub.com

A good climbing rope will last you 3 to 5 years, a bad climbing rope will last you a life time !!!

Comment

Working...
                    X