First big project with TS3660

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• First big project with TS3660

Just finished wrestling my first big project into place in the new home office.

I have been running an engineering consulting firm out of rented space for several years but recently took a full time position at the University of Kansas. So when my office lease was up I decided to move things to a spare room at the house. During the move a large bookcase gave up the ghost (particle board crumbled). Well, guess what I can make with my new TS3660!!!!

Based on a design from Woodsmith.com. 73" tall, about 30" wide and 12" deep. Solid wood for the face frame, mouldings and shelf edges (red oak) and 3/4" oak veneer plywood for the carcass and shelves. Back is 1/4" oak veneer plywood. The only materials problem was that the veneer was most definately NOT red oak.

Anyway, after lots of labor and some side projects like building a router table and fence to make the mouldings it is done.

Some photos, one finished and starting to load the books back into it. The other three are pre-finishing work. Pain in the butt to get the veneer plywood to look like the solid red oak. But after experimenting with some BLO (two coats on everything first to get some base color) and just a touch of stain on the veneer it matches pretty well. Poly, wax and done!

Note: the camera I borrowed has lots of barrel distortion in its wide angle mode. The bookcase really is square and straight, I swear!
    Attached Files

Re: First big project with TS3660

Great looking bookcases! I take it you made all the moulding trim? Either way, they sure look good.
    I put it all back together better than before. There\'s lots of leftover parts.

Comment

Very good looking. Great moulding.

Comment

Originally posted by VASandy View Post
        Great looking bookcases! I take it you made all the moulding trim? Either way, they sure look good.
        Yep. As part of the moulding/trim fabrication I also made a router table. I've since added a tall fence because I'm starting to experiment with raised panels (vertical cutter).

Comment

Originally posted by harrison2119 View Post
          Very good looking. Great moulding.
          Both are made from two pieces. The top has a flat, 3-sided frame (with 1/8-ish roundovers) attached with a bit of cove moulding to cover the seam.

The lower part is a round over on top of a 1/2 cove.

Both very simple and just standard router bits. Picked up a 15 piece set from MLCS. Good price and selection for the money.

There is a neat presentation over at http://www.woodworkingonline.com/ in their podcasts about making various mouldings with just three bits. Worth a watch.

The general plan for the case came from the on-line viewable sample issue of Woodsmith (www.woodsmith.com, and prowl around until you find it).

Comment

Working...
          X