When to wax

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• When to wax

I am finishing a table made from walnut. I have applied several coats (4) of BLO/MS/Poly to it. It has a few shiny sections now. I'm thinking of applying a coat of paste wax to get rid of the oily feel.

Would a coat of wax now be in order, or do I want to apply more coats of the BLO mix or a wiping poly?

Thanks.

Re: When to wax

Couple of questions first. Are you doing this in the garage or heated space and are you above 60° F (15°C) and is the humidity reasonable like around 50%. Did you add any japan drier to the cocktail?
    Usually when the surface feels oily it is not fully dry. BTW it takes about a week to cure fully in a good environment

Comment

Originally posted by wbrooks View Post
      Couple of questions first. Are you doing this in the garage or heated space and are you above 60° F (15°C) and is the humidity reasonable like around 50%. Did you add any japan drier to the cocktail?
      Usually when the surface feels oily it is not fully dry. BTW it takes about a week to cure fully in a good environment
      I'm doing it in a spare room in the house, so temp is 20* C (68 F) and humidity is around 50%. Nothing added as far as driers, just the BLO/MS/Poly. The surface is not real slippery but it feels a little oily - very little comes off on your hands. It's a coffee table so I'm thinking the drier the better.

So should be giving it a week and hit it with wax?

Comment

The slow drying is probably more the BLO than the Poly. You may want to give it two weeks to a month at this time of year (most coating manfgrs recommend a month before waxing). One way to know it has fully cured is when you can no longer smell the finish. If you wax too early, (assuming the the solvents in the wax don't soften the finish), the escaping solvents from it curing will probably keep the wax soft. Setting a fan in the room to keep the air circulating will probably speed things up a little.

Go
        Practicing at practical wood working

Comment

Working...
        X