X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fixing glue mistake

I'm building a bunk bed for my kids and I've been very careful to make sure all my measurements are correct and everything is square. All was going to plan until now.

I bought some 1/2 pipe clamps from Lowes because I didn't have any long enough to hold the hard board together. Well, after I finished up the glue and let it sit over night I noticed this morning that one leg bent outward about 1/8 of an inch. This is terribly annoying and I think what happened was that when I tightened up the clamp the bar bowed slightly. So are there any go backs here? is 1/8 small enough to live with? I should have bought the 3/4 pipe clamps!

Re: Fixing glue mistake

Can you clarify that a bit? I'm having a hard time visualizing what bent. When clamping the head board to the legs, the board may have slipped a bit giving the impression the leg bent, or the leg bent. I'm not sure exactly without a picture. Try putting it back in clamps overnight to see if that takes the bend out. Clamp the bend specifically, but make sure to keep some clamps on all the other areas so the rest of the leg doesn't bend.

Typically, someone else will wander by with a better answer, but that's the best I can do for right now!!
    I put it all back together better than before. There\'s lots of leftover parts.

Comment

The size of the clamps didn't make any difference. I agree with VASandy.

Comment

Thanks for the responses... I guess my post is mostly to vent.

Here is a visual... Image the looking at head board in the form of an "H" and then look down from the top of it... So instead of seeing two perfectly square legs that face the same direction one is twist out about 1/8 of an inch.

Comment

Well, if it twisted that's a factor of the wood, and not the clamps per se. To take the twist out at this point is probably impossible. IF it did just bend out a bit, the clamps should be able to put it back in shape over a period of time.

Whatever happened, it's probably NOT anything you did. Unfortunately, wood will sometimes twist and warp even after we know it's good and dry. It's the downside of working with a natural product. I think that most of woodworking is coming up with fixes for these kinds of weird things.

Good luck with this one. Chances are, the twist won't even be noticed. And if it is, just make up a story for the kids.
          I put it all back together better than before. There\'s lots of leftover parts.

Comment

Thanks for the input and encouragement. Glad too know that it's not just me... lol

Before I left to work this morning I clamped the head post flat onto my out feed table and think it helped some. Now instead of being off by 1/8, it's more like 1/16, so I'm not as up set. It's a good lesson and I'll be much more watchful assembling the rest of the head and foot boards.

Comment

Working...
            X