No announcement yet.

my new 3650

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• my new 3650

I've had the 3650 for a few weeks now. Made a little money on the side, gave my wife half and she let me get the saw. gee, I'm so glad to have such a nice piece of hardware for such a price. Made right here on Earth. I paid full price + CA tax and that's still less then a 73GB, 15000RPM, U/320 SCSI drive which only has the purpose to further enslave humanity to a desk.

There is only so much I can do with a handheld circular saw, handsaw, planes, etc. I built Norm's NY router table using my circular saw. a 64'th here and a 64'th there and pretty soon your talking about real distance - and it never cancels out.

I used the washer business to stiffen the legs up, had to shim the extensions with a bit of paper, etc. I would have not had a pleasant experience if it weren't for the folks who posted here.

I just love tuning it. Bought the grizzly $19 dial indicator - man, aren't dial indicators fun! But I originally set it up with my flat feeler gauges and combo square.

Checked out the arbor business and it's sort of in between, not what I expected. The thread goes all the way to the inside, but the last bit of thread is diminished:
    my ts3650 arbor

Using my dial indicator, it seems to be around 0.015 less then the surrounding threads. The image seems to be more then a 64'th though and diameter wise it's probably more like a 32'nd. I don't have points on my micrometer so I can't measure that dimension. Don't know if I should ask for a new arbor or not. I've used my freud 208 on it and it seemed fine (1/2" dado, but I don't know what to expect) and I just checked the 1/4 setup and the outside plate does have play in it.

what do you all think?

Compared to the pics of the arbors that are bad, yours looked good. If you're pleased with the dados, why go through the hassle?

Have fun!

i couldn't tell visually if mine was bad either. So i stuck my entire dado set on there and tested it. I ended up having one of the chippers cut slightly deeper than the rest of the set. So i had a nice flat bottom dado with a 1/8" wide (about 1/6" deep) groove running through it.

Then i decided to replace it and ruined my bearing, now i'm waiting to get a new bearing. If you do decide to replace it yourself, take every precaution possible to ensure the blade-side bearing stays put. Use clamps, cuals, whatever you can muster, because once that thing comes out with the arbor, you might as well kiss it goodbye.