Link Belts... Worth the Money??

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Link Belts... Worth the Money??

I want to up-grade a couple of my machines with Link-Belts, but want to know if there really worth the money. I want to up-grade an old shaper and my drill press. Both have a bit of vibration in them. If they work in these, I want to convert all my machines.
    Thanks,
    Rob Johnson
    Orange, Ca.
    Just tilt your head a little and it will look straight!

Rob,

The good news for us is that most Ridgid machines have the triple-V belt design and therefore, do not need to have link belt upgrades.

They do make a considerable difference to a single V-belt driven machine, of any make. At around $5/ft just try on one of your machines, you'll soon be buying 15-20ft of the stuff!! Smoothed my new HF bandsaw immediately...almost a different tool. And no, I don't know why there're not standard on anything.

David

Comment

Everything I've read or heard about them has basically been high end praise. I do recall seeing something to the effect that they really don't do much to improve a drill press, something about the belts length being to short to make a difference. Can anybody confirm or deny this?
      ================================================== ====
      All of us could take a lesson from the weather. It pays no attention to criticism.

Comment

Guess I'll go to Rockler today and get enough to convert my shaper. It vibrates so bad that I can't lay anything on the table. But run it without a belt and the motor runs smooth.
        It's a good old machine, from the 1930's and I'd sure like to get it working correctly.
        Rob Johnson
        Orange, Ca.

Comment

Hi Rob: I'd be interested in your results!
          Thanks
          Ross

Comment

Just a thought, but a machine (shaper) that old; have you checked bearings/bushings? A little slop can cause a huge vibration.
            John E. Adams<br /><a href=\"http://www.woodys-workshop.com\" target=\"_blank\">www.woodys-workshop.com</a>

Comment

John,
              All the bearings are tight, and the motor runs smooth without a belt.
              I went to Rocklers to buy a link belt today but was too early, as they hadn't opened at that time.Then went to HD and was suprised at the Ridgid display.
              Going to Mexico for breakfast tomorrow, then to Rocklers to get a belt. I'll post results, as this machine really vibrates.
              Rob Johnson
              Orange, Ca.

Comment

Why wouldn't link belts help a drill press?

Michael

Comment

Working...
                X