Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• new ts3650 trouble

Hi all,
    I have been using the 3650 table saw for a few weeks now and I really like it. I love the mobile base.
    But, when adjusting blade tilt I get extreemly frustrated. Seems that when I tighten the tilt lock lever, the blade tilt moves a small amount. It's enough to throw off the cut. Adjusting the blade to perpedicular is very difficult.
    Is there anything I can do to fix this flaw?
    Thanks,
    -Mac

Hold the adjustment wheel when tightening. If it still moves then there is something loose under the saw.
    info for all: http://www.hoistman.com http://www.freeyabb.com/phpbb/index....wwtoolinfoforu --- "I like long walks, especially when they are taken by people who annoy me."

Comment

I never trust the on board angle indicator that comes with the saw. Way too much room for error IMO. I use an angle finder to set the angle of cut and also to reset the blade back perpendicular to the saws table top.

As far as tightening the tilt locking device goes, I 've found that all I really need to do is just tighten it a little beyond snug. You may be over tightening the locking device causing the blade angle to move a bit.
      Teach your kids about taxes..........eat 30 percent of their ice cream.

Comment

Thanks for the suggestions. I probably do overtighten a bit, I'll check that out. And holding the wheel seems like a good idea, I'll see if it tries to move when tightening.
        What do you use to set the angle? I thought I was buying a quality combination square, a Starrett, but I'm finding it's not as accurate as I would like.
        One last thing: I peened the bar of my (stock) miter gauge for a tighter fit. It worked but I noticed that it's tight on both ends of the slot but not in the middle. I haven't done a lot of cross-cutting but I have done some. Do the slots wear that quickly?
        Thanks again,
        -Mac

Comment

A hammer should not be your first tool of choice when making adjustments to a table saw.

Most stock miter gages are a little sloppy (read loose fit). Unless your miter gage has provision for adjusting for a snug fit you get what you get. If you want more accuracy you will need to go to a better quality miter gage or customize yours by adding some adjustable friction screws. Peening the bar in a couple spots will only ruin what little accuracy your stock miter gage had, accelerate wear to the miter slot, and cause you grief every time you use it.

As far as asjusting the blade angle check the stops are set correctly. If the 90 deg stop is too tight (turned in too far) you will have resistance before the blade is 90 deg to the table and maybe not even reach it at all. The manual covers adjusting these stops clearly. Also, occasionally clean accumulated sawdust from the adjusting screw that connects the handwheel to the carriage and also clean sawdust from the places on the underside of the table where accumulation can inhibit movement.

Check that the Tilt Lock Handle (see pg 25) is not positioned in such a way that it will contact the bottom side of the table when moving the blade in the direction from anywhere less than 90 back towards a 90 degree setting. You can push in on the handle and rotate it so it clears the table, I usually turn mine so it is to the left side of the saw. My old craftsman TS from 22 years ago had the same locking mechanism and I learned back (the hard way) then to do this.

Hope this helps.

[ 09-16-2005, 04:11 PM: Message edited by: Bob D. ]

Comment

Bob D.,
            The miter slot was out of true before I peened the miter gauge bar. I am aware that there are high quality gauges available but I prefer shop-made sleds anyway.
            I peened the bar every inch on each side and offset the peens. I am getting pretty good acuracy this way (other than the fact that the slot is out of true). I don't believe friction screws would help much given the fact that the miter slot is wider in the middle and wouldn't they also wear the slot?
            I rarely use the angle setting stops, depending more on my combination sqaure. Besides, if I were using the stops I might have never noticed the angle moving when tightening the lock lever.
            I keep the lock lever pointing down (when tightened) as per the instruction maunual, no binding problem.
            I'll let you all know how this resolves but right now I'm in the middle of a project and want to leave the blade square to the table.
            Thanks much,
            -Mac

Comment

If you know for fact that the mitre slot gets wider in the middle than the ends I would do one of two things. Call Ridgid for a replacement table or take the whole mess back the HD.
              Those slots should be parallel and cut an exact width any slop either in the parallelness of the cut or width will cause you problems.
              Rev Ed

Comment

I can't think of any other reason the the miter gauge would have slop in the middle of the slot but nice and tight at both ends.
                I've been thinking of calling, don't know if they will send a table top or not. The home depot is an hour away and I certainly don't fancy the thought of packing it up.
                When I unpacked the saw, the front fence rail was bent and they did send me a new one via UPS.
                It's worth a try.
                Just how long should one expect the slots to remain relatively unworn, given mostly weekend use.
                Thanks again,
                -Mac

Comment

Originally posted by Mac_mac:
                  Just how long should one expect the slots to remain relatively unworn, given mostly weekend use.
                  Thanks again,
                  -Mac
                  Approximately forever, give or take. [img]tongue.gif[/img]
                  Lorax
                  "Did you put the yellow key in the switch?" TOD 01/09/06

Comment

While I can understand not wanting to pack it up and drive an hour to take it back. This is the heart of the saw. If the mitre slots are cut wrong can you ever be sure you have the blade aligned, or the fence, not to mention the mitre?

Mitre slots shouldn't wear much more than to polish the groove certainly not enough that you would notice the slot is wider in the middle than on the ends.

I would start packing, heading for HD for a replacement.
                    Rev Ed

Comment

Rev,
                      You are right of course. I'll start making calls and arrangements.
                      Thanks,
                      -Mac

Comment

I have 4 miter gages and one is a Ridgid. None are tight in the miter slot so I decided to spend $59 for an Incra miter gage with adjustable tightners. It works.

Comment

Working...
                        X