X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• aftermarket fence upgrade

Hi all, i was wondering if anyone has installed a aftermarket fence on the 3650 table saw. If so, was it a major pain? and what fence was used. I've been thinking lately about an upgrade, but not 100% sure what fences will fit without too much modification, any input is greatly appreciated.

Re: aftermarket fence upgrade

Most of the popular aftermarket fences should fit without much fuss. The Biesmeir is popular (and expensive), the T2 is a better bargain, the Unifence is a nice fence, the Grizzly fences are decent, and the Vega fences have a solid following. The Incra fences are among the most accurate but take up extra space and might be harder to mount.

Comment

I'm curious as to why you would upgrade. I have found the fence on my 3650 to be accurate, precise and smooth as silk.
      Why fix what ain't broke?

Comment

I was also looking at an upgrade of my 3650's fence system because somehow I thought the rigidity of steel rails would be much better if I wanted to mount a router table on the right side of the table top, between the rails.

I asked a structural engineer for some info and he told me that I, save for the possibility of tipping under additional pressure during use, the rails would easily hold the weight of a 15 amp router, router table top and all the little attachment. The stock rails just won't have the same strength.

There is also the issue of aluminum being in contact with steel, which kinda bothers me.

Other than that, there is nothing wrong with the stock fence indeed.
        In order to understand recursion, one must first understand recursion.

Comment

Originally posted by tierraverde@comcast.net View Post
          I'm curious as to why you would upgrade. I have found the fence on my 3650 to be accurate, precise and smooth as silk.
          Why fix what ain't broke?

While the Ridgid fence does the job, not everyone is a fan of the style, the feel of it, or the materials of construction. Some folks are used to a steel Biesemeyer style fence and prefer that. I personally like the feel and strength of a steel handle, and the mass of the Biese fence. I guess you could say the stock blade cuts wood well, but many still prefer a better aftermarket blade. Sometimes it's just a matter of preference.

Comment

I got a 3660 0n Saturday and took my Incra fence off my old Sears saw and put it on the 3660, the only thing is you can't put the saw guard on. As for the Incra fences they are a joy to use and easy to set up.
            Brian

Comment

I don't know guys, but I installed a MLCS router table on the right side, with a Triton plunge router with the crank handle, (also no supports) and I couldn't be happier. The ridgid system is smooth, accurate, and slides right over the MLCS table. I'm going to marry the MCLS fence to the Ridgid fence and be one happy puppy.

Comment

Interesting, tierraverde, I just did the same install on my 3660. I hadn't thought about marrying the two fences. Don't know if that would be a big benefit for me.

I had a similar setup on my old Craftsman saw and couldn't see giving up floor space to a free standing router table. The rip and router fences on that setup were joined and it did work well. With the amount of table space on the 3660/router table combo, I can leave the rip fence set for a cut and use the router fence.

John

Comment

Originally posted by tierraverde@comcast.net View Post
                  I don't know guys, but I installed a MLCS router table on the right side, with a Triton plunge router with the crank handle, (also no supports) and I couldn't be happier. The ridgid system is smooth, accurate, and slides right over the MLCS table. I'm going to marry the MCLS fence to the Ridgid fence and be one happy puppy.
                  Mind showing off some pics of that setup?

Comment

Re: aftermarket fence upgrade--MLCS router table install

Here's a picture of my setup...

John
                    Attached Files

Comment

One aftermarket fence to avoid is Mule Cabinetmaker http://www.mulecab.com/.

I put one of their fences and router tables on my old Craftsman several years ago. At the time it was the only aftermarket fence I found that would fit the odd sized table. The quality was good, it worked smoothly and was accurate, although it looks clunky. The problem came when I needed a new cursor for the rip fence a couple of months ago. After two emails and a telephone message over the course of a week I finally heard from them, saying they would send one out right away. When it didn't show after two weeks (they're in New York and I'm in Pennsylvania) I emailed again. The response was that the cursors had been out of stock but they had them again and mine would go out on Monday. That was a month ago. They haven't answered any emails since then.

I sold the saw after getting my 3660 up and running but promised to forward the cursor to the new owner.

Mule puts a lifetime warranty on all parts. Sounds great until you actually try to get a part!

John

Comment

Working...
                      X