CAD (Computer Aided Design) software

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• CAD (Computer Aided Design) software

For those who use a CAD software, which one do you prefer for woodworking and why?

Re: CAD (Computer Aided Design) software

I use Google SketchUp. It's free and easy to learn. It's not a CAD program, but it works for me.

Comment

Yeah I love google Sketchup... Great when you're working with an idea.

Comment

I mostly use DeltaCad. It is pretty low in cost, quick and easy to learn. It is a 2D drafting program. It doesn't do 3D, rendering or fly-arounds like SketchUp. It is accurate, prints scale automatically or easily onto letter size paper and has the ability to print onto several sheets for glue-up at full size.

It has many of the standard CAD drawing features. Not as versatile as AutoCAD, but then is a lot less money, $30. There is a free demo version. You can check it out at www.deltacad.com.
        Dick

Comment

I also use Google Sketchup, it's a terrific 3D package and it's free, so you can't beat the price. Great for figuring the overall design "look" of a new project. However, as nice as it is for general designing, I haven't really worked with it enough to feel entirely comfortable with gaining cut dimensions and general "fit" when I'm working out the details.

Probably the main reason for that is that I've been using Corel Draw for a number of years and as such, it's become almost a third hand for me. I can layout all the details, figure the dimensions, angles, finite fit and cuts with it. The CorelDraw suite comes at a good price though and if I wasn't so used to it, I'd probably be using SketchUp of everything.

CWS

Comment

CWS and others

You may like to read up about Corel Designer Technical Suite 4. Now this doesn't come cheap at all, but I think it might be something you may want to review and maybe signup for the 30 day free trial download.
            http://www.corel.com/servlet/Satelli...1#tabview=tab0

Here is a link to Corel Draw version X4 where you can download a 30 trial version, but it as a full blown version, or as an upgrade for those that already have an earlier version.
            http://www.corel.com/servlet/Satelli...3#tabview=tab7

I think for my very limited use, I'll give the free Google program a try sometime.

Comment

We use Solid Edge here, which is a 3D Parasolid modeler. (The same one used in SolidWorks and Unigraphics.)

There is a free 2D version available for download here You have to register, but there is no cost to use the product.
              Steve
              www.MorrisGarage.com

Comment

Solid Edge rocks! That is what I use as well

Comment

Originally posted by JTROANOKE View Post
                  Solid Edge rocks! That is what I use as well

Are you on the BBS?
                  Steve
                  www.MorrisGarage.com

Comment

No, I am not - probably need to be. I think one of our engineers is - he does come up with some useful info that he shares from the user groups and bulletin boards.

Comment

What are the benifits of Solid works versus ACAD. I have been working with ACAD for over 12 years and have no problems working within the 3D platform. Is Solid works easier or is it just a case of what you are used to?

Comment

Originally posted by Faboo View Post
                        What are the benifits of Solid works versus ACAD. I have been working with ACAD for over 12 years and have no problems working within the 3D platform. Is Solid works easier or is it just a case of what you are used to?

Solid Edge and SolidWorks are very similar to each other. Each have small advantages and disadvantages. They are completely different than ACAD 3D. ACAD uses the ACIS modeling engine, which is what Solid Edge used for version 1-5, but since they were aquired by UGS (then EDS, then UGS, and now Siemens) they switched to the Parasolid kernal (now on version 20). Works, Edge, and UGNX use Parasolid. It is a much more powerful modeling engine.

Can ACAD 3D make a model like the 425 Tristand shown above? I know that Autodesk's top of hte line CAD program Inventor can do something similar, but I didn't think ACAD could.

I've used a few lesser known CAD applications, and never found anything even close to the ease of use of Solid Edge. SolidWorks would fall into that same catagory for fans of that program. ProE an NX are very powerful, but much harder to use.

Works and Edge are more expensive than ACAD, as well.
                        Last edited by smorris; 11-06-2008, 02:41 PM.
                        Steve
                        www.MorrisGarage.com

Comment

Ever since trying Autocad Inventor, I wonder how I ever designed anything before. Much much easier to use than Autocad 13. But I don't know if a demo/trial version is available

Comment

I recently posted information in the Tips & Techniques - Furniture Design Software about a new entry to the market - Sketchlist 3D.

Unlike a Cad package, you work with boards and orient them as you wish. As you build your project, the software builds parts lists and cutting lists.

Kinda like a Cad package (or Sketchup) with a built in Cutlist Pro.

Check out my post for more info and where to get a trial of Sketchlist 3D

Comment

Originally posted by billmoy View Post
                              I recently posted information in the Tips & Techniques - Furniture Design Software about a new entry to the market - Sketchlist 3D.

Unlike a Cad package, you work with boards and orient them as you wish. As you build your project, the software builds parts lists and cutting lists.

Kinda like a Cad package (or Sketchup) with a built in Cutlist Pro.

Check out my post for more info and where to get a trial of Sketchlist 3D
                              http://www.ridgidforum.com/forum/showthread.php?t=21548
                              "It's a table saw, do you know where your fingers are?" Bob D. 2006

https://www.youtube.com/user/PowerToolInstitute

Comment

Working...
                              X