Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Ridgid R4511 availability?

Originally posted by Ashman View Post
    I think you could break the shipping crate open and take pieces to the basement. The granite extension are not attached and the granite is what makes the saw so heavy. In any case you will need help even with a dolly. I put the leg set and the herculift together and only had to lift (with the help of my son) the saw onto the legs from a trailer only about a foot or so high.

One thing I forgot to mention about the uncrating. The instructions tell you to lay the whole thing on its side to remove bolts from the bottom of the steel shipping frame. With the height of the legs on the shipping frame I was able to reach under it to remove the bolts without laying it on its side. You might want to place a block or something under the frame for support just for safety sake.

For anyone picking up the saw, if you can get a trailer instead of a pickup it will be easier to unload.
    Ashman After looking at the manual and your pictures, the underside view of the shipping cage, it looks to me like the cabinet is bolted to it on a slab of wood or something, if so it seems a lot of lbs. could be removed. Is the cabinet itself bolted to the shipping frame? If so I'll jack up the frame to the level of the assembled legs and slide the cabinet onto it.

Bad news. My HD store informed me that the saw could not be ordered. Atlanta told him it would be an in store item available soon? Corporate would not give him a date. I allready knew it by checking the order status late yesterday.

Buck

Comment

• steel City saw #35675

Hi Jerry,

Thank you for writing us. Unfortunately this item is not available online. Please contact our store at 1-800-835-5084 for more information.

Thanks,
      Katie

http://www.woodsmithstorespecials.co...105/etips.html

The above was the response regarding the link if anyone is interested.
      Also, yes the Steel City is no more than a cast top version of the R4511 with a 3 H.P. motor.
      If the freight doesn't blow it this is still a good deal.

EDIT: the freight is $180.87 to my warehouse.
      $749.99 + $180.87 = $930.86

A Grizzly G1023SL, not on sale is $1075.00 = 96.50 = $1171.50. Now to decide if I should buy, or wait, Oh well I have missed a sale before. Decisions... Decisions.
      Last edited by jerdebson; 01-09-2009, 12:51 PM.
      Jerry

Comment

Originally posted by jerdebson View Post
        RevEd

Do you still have the email on the Steel City saw and is it still available and how much? I have the money, if I don't get too carried away, to buy a new saw at this time. I am looking into several possibilities so I can try to make an informed choice. TIA.
        I see someone else pointed you to the ad. I deleted mine but I thought it was the woodworker store but I thought the price I saw as closer to $600 perhaps not.

In my opinion I wouldn't touch the Steel city saw. It has a multi piece trunion/arbor setup and that is where the problems that get blame on table mounted trunions lie. Notice the new Delta ads for the new uni saw, they all trumpet the one piece trunnion which is actually really the the arbor support that is suspended between the trunions. Go look into a Unisaw and notice the casting the supports the actual arbor it is one piece. Now go look in a Ridgid 3650 the same piece is also one piece. Now go look at a Sears or Steel city saw you will see two bars/tubes running between the trunnion to which an arbor assembly is mounted. These tubes are mounted into a casting on the trunion ends and into castings that form the actual arbor support. They are pressed, riveted, or otherwise fastened to the casting at either end.

The bar/tubes twist rack and move whenin these castings over time. This throws the blade parallelism out when the blade is cranked over to a bevel and set back. Most people think the actual trunion moved on the table because they usually try to fix blade parallelism by shifting the blade. But in fact what actually moved/racked/twisted was the multi piece support that hold the blade arbor. Delta contractor saws use to carry instructions on how to deal with this racking/twisting. Many experts simply say never crank your blade over to bevel instead construct a jig to support the wood. It is all due to bad design

I don't know how the new ridgid saw is build in this respect if it continues to use the one piece arbor support casting presently found in the 3650 it is way superior to the Steel city saw.

Best to you
        Ed
        Rev Ed

Comment

Hi guys, my first post here, so go easy please

So, like a fool, I bought a TS3660 on Dec 26. Before I knew about the 4511. My first table saw, I thought I'd get a good one. Having played with it a little, it's mostly very good. Accurate cuts, easy to use. The fence is just great. It's true, has double channels on all three faces for add-ons, slides easily and has magnifiers over the tape. It also has a perfectly (to me) acceptable micro adjustment.

However, the separator/blade guard is just dreadful. Doesn't align properly and it as much use as tits on a fish. Dangerous in fact.

Being a Brit here in wondersul USA, I thought "paste wax" meant Turtle wax. Apparently not, and now I have rusty fingerprints on my TS after just 2 weeks. So now I have the Johnson's, but it's occurred to me that whatever I do, the wood sliding across the top will abrade away the coating. That will get old, having to keep waxing it, especially in the humidity we have in GA in the summer.

So I'm minded to take advantage of my 90 day satisfaction guarantee and change it for a 4511. For an extra $50, I avoid the rust entirely, get a riving knife, 4 inch dust collection and an internal motor.

My local HD did some digging for me and says they'll have them Feb 1st. Even if it's March 1st, I'm still within my 90 days. In the meantime I quite like the smell of the Johnson's

The one thing that's nagging in my mind is the fence on the 4511. It just doesn't look like it's a patch on the 3660's. It doesn't seem to have micro adjustment, doesn't seem to have the magnifiers, and has only rudimentary holes for accessories. Not to mention being 6 inches shorter in right rip.

So what do I do? Keep the 3660 and be grateful my wife loves me that much to let me buy it? Swap it for a 4511 and look happy with the fence?

Would this be an option> Buy the 4511 outright, and swap the fences and rails between the two, then sell the 3660 for say $475? I would say to put an AC1036 on it, but a) they're discontinued and b) even if I find one, it'd be $200. Now it's an $800 saw, and that's running away with itself.

I cant justify a $400 Biesemeyer or Incra on a $600 saw either.

So what do I do? Keep the 3660? Swap for 4511 and keep the fence or do the 4511 with 3660 fence thing?

Whatever I do, I want to get it right, so I'll be totally happy with it for 20 years or so. A few dollars now isn't that significant to get it right, as long as it's not hundreds.

Your help, advice and experience gratefully received.

Many thanks

Comment

• R4511

Ed

Thanks for all the info, I will try to absorb all that. I'm afraid the new Ridgid is built the same as the Steel City in the trunion, if so maybe I should go back and revisit the G1023SL. I had hoped to spend less than $1000. I've been watching for a used Unisaw locally but nothing yet. I will just keep on looking.
            Jerry

Comment

Just an update on getting this saw at the big orange box.

I talked to Pamela Holland at corporate (thanks again for that information, Ashman!) and she is having one shipped directly from Ridgid to my local orange box. HOWEVER......
              she said that I was lucky. Although she was able to do this for a few of us, her boss has to individually authorize each of these orders. She caught him as he was going out the door to leave for Japan for a few weeks, YIKES!

She did say, however, that these should be shipping to the orange box and back online at the end of February. I know that different dates have been floating around the net, but this one is straight from the buyer, so I would say that this date if firm!

Anyway, she said I could expect to get my saw no later than the 19th of Jan. I can't wait!!

BTW, does anybody know if my Delta Unifence will fit on this thing?

Ashman, any thoughts on this since you already have the saw????

Comment

• Ridgid R4511 trunion

Ed

I reviewed the pictures Ashman posted on page 6, Dec. 19th. and unless I am not understanding you the new R4511 has a one piece cast trunion assembly holding the arbor but I'm not sure if the pivoting ends are one piece as well. If so all the better.
                Jerry

Comment

Dirtman,

Congats on your successful order. I think that the Delta fence will work with some drilling to match the threaded holes in the granite top. I think I will be satisfied with the original fence once I get some faces on it and re-do the measuring tape.

Comment

Just want to say hey. I've been following this post for a while and decided to sign up tonight. I will be picking up one of these saws as soon as they are available in the stores. Last I heard it will be late February at HD. Looking forward to getting back into some woodworking. Red
                    Red

Comment

This saw is available and looks to be everything up close that you might expect. I saw one today at the Milwaukee area woodworking show and they are being carried at shows sponsored by Wood magazine. They're marked down to $539 which is less than the present cost of the steel top saw in the stores. Great deal and it looks to be a pretty solid saw up close. The show is touring the country and it might be worth it to track one down in your area. The saw will be carried in stores as the steel model sells out.

Comment

Here is another place that carries the saw for $527.12 but the shipping will kill you. I will look into that woodworking show. Thanks. Red

http://www.toolsdirect.com/index.cfm...dgid/finish/NA#
                        Red

Comment

Are the mounting holes for the fence rails threaded? I'm thinking about how easy it would be to put the 3660 rails & fence on the 4511. If they're threaded, I don't think that would work.

Comment

Originally posted by cactus View Post
                            Here is another place that carries the saw for $527.12 but the shipping will kill you. I will look into that woodworking show. Thanks. Red

http://www.toolsdirect.com/index.cfm...dgid/finish/NA#

Anybody in the central OHIO area that might be interested in going in on a group buy from toolsdirect? If we buy 3 saws and use discount code "SAVERIDGID" the total comes down to $1,502.28 with FREE LTL shipping and no tax! That means that it would be a total of $500.76 per saw!!! I am in Columbus and would be willing to set this up if I can find 2 other people. Thoughts?

Comment

• Re: Ridgid R4511 trunion

Originally posted by jerdebson View Post
                              Ed

I reviewed the pictures Ashman posted on page 6, Dec. 19th. and unless I am not understanding you the new R4511 has a one piece cast trunion assembly holding the arbor but I'm not sure if the pivoting ends are one piece as well. If so all the better.

Yep! Looked at the picture and next to the last one shows the arbor support and in fact it is one piece casting. Nothing like the inferior ones that use bar/tubes to run between the trunions.
                              This should be a great saw far superior to the Sears zipcode saws or the Steel city in my opinion.
                              Rev Ed

Comment

Well my saw finally arrived today and I picked it up on my way home from work. It's awesome and very heavy!! The steel shipping crate is fairly impressive. Just to let anyone who's interested in buying one know, the HD store I had mine shipped to received two of them. So if your in the Seabrook, NH area you might just be able to drive there tonight and pick one up for yourself. I'll be assembling my saw some time this week and I will report on my assembly experience and first impressions of the saw.

Millman,

Comment

Working...
                                X