Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Ridgid R4511 availability?

Originally posted by millman View Post
    Well my saw finally arrived today and I picked it up on my way home from work. It's awesome and very heavy!! The steel shipping crate is fairly impressive. Just to let anyone who's interested in buying one know, the HD store I had mine shipped to received two of them. So if your in the Seabrook, NH area you might just be able to drive there tonight and pick one up for yourself. I'll be assembling my saw some time this week and I will report on my assembly experience and first impressions of the saw.

Millman,

Millman

Glad to hear of another 4511 on our hands, you lucky dog. The more we hear the better it looks. I also hope to have one in the near future. Too bad there aren't several of us in the S.E. part of Colorado to get our own group buy.
    Jerry

Comment

Originally posted by Ashman View Post
      I picked up my Ridgid R4511 late yesterday at my local HD. It took a few days longer than they said but is finally here. I will post photos and a comments after I get it assembled.
      I'm planning on moving up from a BT3100 and this seems to be the saw to get. Can anyone who has this saw tell me approx what the heaviest component (as shipped)weighs? I will need to get this into my basement via stairs. I will absolutely have to take it in pieces, but if the heaviest piece is 250 pounds, then this can't be the saw for me. Thanks for any light you can shed on this.

Comment

I've been following this post for a bit now and am trying to decide which new saw to buy. Has anybody seen any independent reviews on this saw yet? How does it compare to similar products from Grizzly and Steel City? With only 1 1/2 horse is it going to get bogged down?

Thanks for the help.
        Last edited by btbvtr; 01-13-2009, 04:57 AM.

Comment

I'll try again to post - this is my third attempt. First one disappeared, second one went for moderation and hasnt been seen since, but my little one liner a couple of posts back did appear.

So here's the deal - I just bought a 3660 in December. It's great, BUT the cast iron tarnished SO quickly and the splitter is next to useless. However, the fence and rails are GREAT (IMHO). I'm still in my 90 day satisfaction thing until March.

If the fence and rails on the 4511 were as good as the 3660, it would be a no brainer to change the 3660 for the new one. BUT, they (sight unseen) do not appear to have any form of microadjustment, and the fence has three rudimentary holes for mounting jigs etc, not the slides of the 3660.

So what's the collective wisdom? I'm in a fortunate position, I know, but I want to do the right thing. Is there ANY WAY I can change the fence and rails between the models and then sell the 3660 with the 4511's rails? Or are the 4511's fence & rails not that bad?

Your thoughts & suggestions welcome.

Comment

If the top of the 3660 'tarnished' (which I guess means is showing a film of rust) then you need to protect the surface better than you did if at all.

As far as the splitter if you take your time and position it precisely it should not give you any trouble. This will not be a 5 or 10 minute adjustment, it might take an hour. But once its done it should be good for a long time. I bought my 3650 in 2003. I have yet to do any serious adjustment to my splitter and I take it off and on regularly using the guard when ever I can. Also, living in a fairly humid area (near the NJ coast) I have only used paste wax (not car wax which contains silicone) to protect my TS top and have no rust on it. I re-apply wax two or three times a year, that's it, takes about 15 minutes.

Having seen the R4511 at a recent WWing show I too was disappointed with the fence. It's not as nice as a Biesemeyer style fence nor the previous 3650/3660 fence. This is going to be a big turnoff for potential buyers, having skimped (in my opinion) on the fence system. It may lock down square every time, but no provision to attach accessories will, just as you are saying, turn people away. In my opinion they should have stayed with the same aluminum extrusion they used for the 3650 fence.
            ---------------
            Light is faster than sound. That's why some people seem really bright until you hear them speak.
            ---------------
            “If I had my life to live over again, I'd be a plumber.” - Albert Einstein
            ---------
            "Its a table saw.... Do you know where your fingers are?"
            ---------
            sigpic http://www.helmetstohardhats.com/

Comment

Lining up the splitter on the 3650/3660 can be tedious but it only needs be done once. When you have it aligned, you can remove it and replace it simply enough with a tool-less thumb screw that really works. I fought and fought with the splitter to get it lined up correctly, and finally came up with a workable solution.

First, you need two long straight edges and a machinists square. The machinists square is to test the splitter for verticle plumb. If that's out, (as mine was) you can pound it back to plumb with a no-bounce rubber hammer and a flat surface. Work it until it's straight. Once you have plumb, you can put it back on the mount, and loosely attach the 3 bolts. Put the long straight edges on both sides of the blade (it's a good idea to unplug the saw for this one as you'll be close to the blade and it has to be sticking up a good bit). If you would prefer, you can hold the straight edges down with double-stick tape but you'll have tape goo to remove from the TS top if you do. The straight edges need to be held tight up against the blade and protrude past the splitter. You should be able to visually line up the splitter at this point. Carefully lock the splitter in position using the 3 bolts. I found that doing the middle one first, then the back one and finally the front was the best way, but you may find another bolt pattern to work for you. Using this method, you should now have a splitter that is lined up behind the blade. Once lined up, it works great. I use mine at every possible opportunity. I am very happy that the splitter can be removed and replaced without losing it's alignment and with a simple thumb-screw. IMO, it's a great system.
              I put it all back together better than before. There\'s lots of leftover parts.

Comment

Thanks guys, you've reinforced my faith in the 3660.

I'm originally from the UK, so when I read "paste wax" in the instructions, I assumed (ha!) it meant Turtle wax, as opposed to liquid wax. Oh dear! I now know it means Johnson's or the like, and I've read about Boeshield, Topcote etc. I now have a tin of Johnson's and it's night and day from Turtle wax! Smells nice too! It did occur to me though that any wax will eventually be abraded away by wood sliding over the top. If it's just say quarterly, then that's something I am OK with, I guess the granite needs dressing too.

So the fence then. Since I got the 3660 (my first table saw), I've been reading a lot on this infernal interweb thing and the collective wisdom seems to be that the fence can make an average saw into a pleasurable experience, whereas a poor fence can make using a top saw a frustrating experience.

As for the splitter, it would seem all is not lost if it can be adjusted into true. One thought that crossed my mind was to sharpen the leading edge somewhat (not razor sharp, more screwdriver sharp) so that it successfully engaged the saw cut every time. And of course Mr Johnson might help there too.

There are three other benefits of keeping the 3660:

1. It's $50 less. Not that significant, but still 10%
                2. I dont have to carry 300lb up the stairs and 500lb down the stairs!
                3. I wouldnt look like a spoiled brat in front of my beautiful wife who let me spend the $549 in the first place, and I can get on and build her a lingerie chest like the one in the "project pics" thread. This is by far the most important!

Comment

I was at HD in Montrose, OH last night asking about this saw. He said he got 6 in but hasn't unloaded the truck to see what model they are. I'm just getting started in WW, and would like to get the granite top one. But if the 3660 goes on clearance I'm getting that one. He said that the 3660 was on sale for $350 on Black Friday anyone get on that deal?

Thanks

Josh

Comment

hey guys

this forum is great! to my wife's dismay, I have been reading it or hours and hours.

at any rate, I am getting ready to buy my first table saw. I am looking at the ts3660 and the r4511. I have limited space, so size is a concern. I found another post that seems to indicate the footprint of the 3660 is 64 1/2" x 40" (including motor). I can not find this detail, however, for the 4511. I would think the length is the same, but depth should be less since the motor is underneath. maybe 64 1/2" x 30"?

I have satisfied my concern about the granite top (I think) and the only thing holding me back now is the fence. I read on another post that the fence on the 4511 seemed of lower quality than the one provided with the 3660. from what I gather, the fence is pretty darn important. I realize I could add an aftermarket fence, but if it truly doesn't stack up, this may make me lean back towards the 3660 (tried and true, cheaper (especially if it goes on sale at HD again this year), etc). anyone care to weigh in on this?

I guess there is the riving knife on the 4511 to consider too. I really wish I could see one of these guys... might help me make up my mind.

thanks again for all the great info!

Comment

Originally posted by jhermsmeyer View Post
                      hey guys

this forum is great! to my wife's dismay, I have been reading it or hours and hours.

at any rate, I am getting ready to buy my first table saw. I am looking at the ts3660 and the r4511. I have limited space, so size is a concern. I found another post that seems to indicate the footprint of the 3660 is 64 1/2" x 40" (including motor). I can not find this detail, however, for the 4511. I would think the length is the same, but depth should be less since the motor is underneath. maybe 64 1/2" x 30"?

I have satisfied my concern about the granite top (I think) and the only thing holding me back now is the fence. I read on another post that the fence on the 4511 seemed of lower quality than the one provided with the 3660. from what I gather, the fence is pretty darn important. I realize I could add an aftermarket fence, but if it truly doesn't stack up, this may make me lean back towards the 3660 (tried and true, cheaper (especially if it goes on sale at HD again this year), etc). anyone care to weigh in on this?

I guess there is the riving knife on the 4511 to consider too. I really wish I could see one of these guys... might help me make up my mind.

I'm seeking the same fence answers myself of course, but for the depth, can I throw something out there?

In an ideal(ish) world, you'd want 17-18 feet of unobstructed workshop length, and site the saw in the center. That way,you'd be able to rip sheet goods down without moving the saw. If you have to move the saw to achieve this, you'll be compromising the cut by stopping halfway and then inverting or rotating the sheet. If the depth of the motor is (or is not) a concern, then overall space may be a bigger issue.

Comment

Originally posted by Roadster280 View Post
                        In an ideal(ish) world, you'd want 17-18 feet of unobstructed workshop length, and site the saw in the center. That way,you'd be able to rip sheet goods down without moving the saw. If you have to move the saw to achieve this, you'll be compromising the cut by stopping halfway and then inverting or rotating the sheet. If the depth of the motor is (or is not) a concern, then overall space may be a bigger issue.
                        But it comes with a mobile base, so the depth w/ motor is how far it sticks out from the wall when you are not in full shop mode (like people who use the garage as a shop, but also park cars in there).

Comment

Originally posted by jhermsmeyer View Post
                          ...I have satisfied my concern about the granite top (I think) and the only thing holding me back now is the fence. I read on another post that the fence on the 4511 seemed of lower quality than the one provided with the 3660. from what I gather, the fence is pretty darn important. I realize I could add an aftermarket fence, but if it truly doesn't stack up, this may make me lean back towards the 3660 (tried and true, cheaper (especially if it goes on sale at HD again this year), etc). anyone care to weigh in on this?

The fence on the R4511 does not have faces like most steel t-square fence have, so it looks a little different which seems to be throwing a lot of folks a curve ball, but the function should be essentially the same. People see the skinny fence tube and assume low quality, which I don't believe is an accurate assessemnt. The R4511's fence materials (steel) and design are a step up from the aluminum fence on the 3660 IMO....it's more similar to the very popular aftermarket fences like the Delta T2, and Biesemeyer design that sell far more aftermarket fences than Ridgid does. Ridgid should be including the faces if for no other reason to make the fence "look" more robust....I'm not sure why they didn't include them, but they're not essential to the function, and are an easy add-on. Envision that fence with a set of laminated or aluminum faces and it'd look very much like others of the same design.

Last edited by hewood; 01-14-2009, 09:11 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by btbvtr View Post
                            I've been following this post for a bit now and am trying to decide which new saw to buy. Has anybody seen any independent reviews on this saw yet? How does it compare to similar products from Grizzly and Steel City? With only 1 1/2 horse is it going to get bogged down?

Thanks for the help.
                            The R4511 is too new to have any reviews yet. Steel City is "heavily involved" with the design and manufacture of the R4511 and it has much in common with them. The Steel City/Orion hybrids have been very well received and reviewed under the Steel City and Craftsman name plate.

The difference between a 1.5hp and 1.75hp should be barely noticeable. Things like proper alignment/setup, and good blade selection make a more noticeable difference. I owned a 1-3/4hp Craftsman 22124 hybrid made be Steel City's Orion subsidiary for 3 yrs...it never had power issues. With the correct blade in place I could cut anything to full blade height with relative ease. My 3hp cabinet saw does it faster and is better suited for the commercial work in heavy materials, but the hybrid did not struggle much and should be more than adequate for most hobbyist's needs.

Any that you mentioned are capable of serving you well...go with the one you like best or can get the best deal on. Then take the time to set it up well and get a good quality blade or two that are well suited for your needs.
                            Last edited by hewood; 01-14-2009, 09:15 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by jkfar View Post
                              I'm planning on moving up from a BT3100 and this seems to be the saw to get. Can anyone who has this saw tell me approx what the heaviest component (as shipped)weighs? I will need to get this into my basement via stairs. I will absolutely have to take it in pieces, but if the heaviest piece is 250 pounds, then this can't be the saw for me. Thanks for any light you can shed on this.
                              It's hard to estimate but without the fence, Herculift, legs, wings, and motor, the main body should weigh no more than 250#....likely less. Many 550-600# 3hp cabinet saws have been stripped down and successfully moved to basement shops....with help of a dolly and a friend it really shouldn't be much of a feat.

Steel City's folks might be able to offer some insight's to weight and what else can be easily stripped down.

Comment

• Re: Ridgid R4511 trunion

Originally posted by RevEd View Post
                                Yep! Looked at the picture and next to the last one shows the arbor support and in fact it is one piece casting. Nothing like the inferior ones that use bar/tubes to run between the trunions.
                                This should be a great saw far superior to the Sears zipcode saws or the Steel city in my opinion.
                                Steel City is heavily involved with the design and manufacture of the R4511, and shares similar guts as their newer models that have riving knives, which also have the one piece casting.

The one piece arbor support is indeed a more elegant design solution but since the connecting rods on the hybrids have not shown to be the achilles heal that they are to contractor saws with the motor cantilevered off the back, and the fact that the zipcode saws have proven to be very nice saws, I think the term "far superior" is a real stretch. For this application, the one piece design is "more better".
                                Last edited by hewood; 01-14-2009, 09:54 AM.

Comment

Working...
                                X