X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Ridgid R4511 availability?

I assembled my 4511 last night, it's alot of saw for the money! Hardest part is assembling the herculift. The fence included with this saw seems just fine, feels very robust and locks down tight. Miter gauge has alittle bit too much slop in the t-slot for my liking so I will address that first. Granite top is gorgous. I will be repositioning the fence rails today to give a 40" cut to the right of the blade. I'm also machining regular and thin kerf (low height) riving knive's for it. Hope to get those done this week. Also will be machining some zero clearance inserts for it made from phenolic material. Hope to do some cutting with it this weekend, Iv'e been holding off projects waiting for this saw to arrive.

Millman,

Comment

Thanks for the update Millman!
      Let us know about moving the rails over to the right,
      that will be the first thing I have to do if I buy a 4511.

Comment

Millman,

Congrats on your new saw. I plan on moving my fence over too but am also debating replacing the two piece angle front and rear with longer rails to gain even more, just not sure yet. Also want to add more table space to the right side of the table extension. Let us know how it works out moving the fence.

Comment

[quote=hewood;200826] Steel City is "heavily involved" with the design and manufacture of the R4511

Thanks for the input Heywood. That's helpful. Getting closer on making my final decision. What does Steel City being "heavily involved" mean?

Comment

Ashman/Millman,

Would either of you be able to provide the length of the front rail? I'd love to get this saw but I don't know if I'll have the space for it.

Thanks,
            Charlton

Comment

Originally posted by Ashman View Post
              I plan on moving my fence over too but am also debating replacing the two piece angle front and rear with longer rails to gain even more, just not sure yet. Also want to add more table space to the right side of the table extension.

Ashman

I am interested in fence possibilities also. I have a new Biesemeyer 36-B30 Commercial fence with legs and table, where a router will be, that might look real good on a R4511. Thanks for all the updates, keep them coming. I hope to have one in my shop soon.
              Jerry

Comment

Mine is here and in assembly.

Someone was asking about moving the main chunk down the stairs. My dad and I lifted it enough to move it small distances, but I would want at least 3 people to safely move it down stairs. Or you can do like we did, and use 2x4s for rails to slide it on. It comes packaged with cardboard taped to the bottom, slid easily enough. If you had the clearance you could run the entire package down on the metal packaging frame.

My question for anyone: how do you feel about the 40 tooth combination blade? I was about to buy one, but if the one that comes with it is mediocre or better I'll give it a shot.
                Last edited by ratfusion; 01-14-2009, 09:21 PM.

Comment

I was able to add 8.5" of ripping capacity to the right of the blade for a total of 38.5" All that's required is to drill and countersink one hole in the front angle iron and one hole in the left rear support angle iron. It's pretty simple, just offset the front and rear angle irons one hole to the right (facing the front of the saw) and you'll see where the additional holes need to be drilled. On my saw the offset was exactly 8.5" in front and 14.5" in the rear angle iron. Although this does only leave one bolt securing the rightside rear angle iron. You'll be better off getting a longer angle iron for the rear support and make it one piece.
                  I personally feel the fence system on this saw is fine!!! It moves smoothly and locks down nice and tight. It's also very easy to square it up to the blade. I'm adding faces to both sides of the fence and repositioning the measuring tapes (allthough they can only be used as a reference to get you in the ballpark because the kerf width won't be the same on the different blades you may use). I'm very pleased with the build quality of the saw. The blade raises, lowers, and tilts to 45 degree's very smoothly. I showed it to a couple of friends and they can't believe it only cost $600 bucks. Next step is to machine new riving knives with a height that's 1/4" lower than the height of the blade.

Millman,
                  Last edited by millman; 01-15-2009, 07:25 AM. Reason: New Info

Comment

[QUOTE=btbvtr;200895]
                    Originally posted by hewood View Post
                    Steel City is "heavily involved" with the design and manufacture of the R4511

Thanks for the input Heywood. That's helpful. Getting closer on making my final decision. What does Steel City being "heavily involved" mean?
                    AFAIK, TTI has some licensing agreements with Steel City for their hybrid technology and granite top technology. The enclosure, motor and motor mount, and trunnion system are very similar, if not identical to the newer SC models....and the steel crate they come in is an SC signature too.

Comment

Thanks for the info Hewood. I believe I'm pretty much sold on it.

Comment

Originally posted by ratfusion View Post
                        Mine is here and in assembly.

Someone was asking about moving the main chunk down the stairs. My dad and I lifted it enough to move it small distances, but I would want at least 3 people to safely move it down stairs. Or you can do like we did, and use 2x4s for rails to slide it on. It comes packaged with cardboard taped to the bottom, slid easily enough. If you had the clearance you could run the entire package down on the metal packaging frame.

My question for anyone: how do you feel about the 40 tooth combination blade? I was about to buy one, but if the one that comes with it is mediocre or better I'll give it a shot.
                        I was the guy asking about moving it down stairs. Ridged sent me a manual which shows a bolt pattern on the bottom of the shipping cage that looks to match the bottom of the cabinet, more or less. But you answered my question, it's taped. HD has an 800lb two wheel dolly for about $50.00, always wanted one anyhow. Three or 4 guy's should be able to get it down the stairs. I do have a few inches to spare.
                        Thanks

Buck
                        Last edited by BuckB; 01-15-2009, 05:59 AM.

Comment

It was bolted to the packaging frame as well as having the cardboard below it.

Comment

...I'm adding faces to both sides of the fence...

Next step is to machine new riving knives with a
                            height that's 1/4" lower than the height of the blade...
                            Though I am not in the market to replace my 3650, but these are two things that bother me about this saw.

1. Why should I have to add faces to the fence? These should be there from day one out of the box. Otherwise I think the fence looks good, having only seen it on display and played with it a bit at the show.

2. Why should anyone have to have new riving knives machined? Shouldn't the supplied knife work in non through cut scenarios such a dadoing? And knives for thin kerf blades should be available from the manufacturer if not supplied with the saw.
                            Last edited by Bob D.; 01-15-2009, 09:09 AM.
                            ---------------
                            Light is faster than sound. That's why some people seem really bright until you hear them speak.
                            ---------------
                            “If I had my life to live over again, I'd be a plumber.” - Albert Einstein
                            ---------
                            "Its a table saw.... Do you know where your fingers are?"
                            ---------
                            sigpic http://www.helmetstohardhats.com/

Comment

OK, since some of you are able to get this saw, can someone provide me with the store SKU# for it? My store keeps telling me end of February. With an actual SKU, I might have a better chance of finding one in their system. If I know there are saws sitting up north somewhere, they can have it shipped south. Thanks for all and any help. I do appreciate it. Red
                              Red

Comment

Cactus,

The line item number on my Home Depot receipt says #750663. Hope this helps.

Millman,

Comment

Working...
                                X