• Show
Clear All

• Re: Ridgid R4511 availability?

Charlton,

The front rail length is 68 in

Comment

Cactus,

According to the buyer that I talked to when I ordered mine, none of these saws will show up in their system until February. According to her, the buying department and the inventory department had a mis-que and the information about this saw was never supposed to have hit the HD site until the end of February. When the purchasing office found out about this, they pulled the saw from the site. Those of us that have been fortunate enough to get a saw is only b/c Pamela ordered them direct from Ridgid and Ridgid is sending it direct to HD. In other words, it's put in as a special order from corporate directly to the vendor. The stores won't have the ability to order them until the end of February b/c "technically" HD has not bought them and placed them into their main inventory system.

I hope this makes sense and helps......

Comment

Originally posted by dirtman View Post
        Cactus,

According to the buyer that I talked to when I ordered mine, none of these saws will show up in their system until February. According to her, the buying department and the inventory department had a mis-que and the information about this saw was never supposed to have hit the HD site until the end of February. When the purchasing office found out about this, they pulled the saw from the site. Those of us that have been fortunate enough to get a saw is only b/c Pamela ordered them direct from Ridgid and Ridgid is sending it direct to HD. In other words, it's put in as a special order from corporate directly to the vendor. The stores won't have the ability to order them until the end of February b/c "technically" HD has not bought them and placed them into their main inventory system.

That does make sense and its good information. So if someone were waiting on the 3660 to go on sale around Feb would be a good bet. I really want the 4511 but I'm a sucker for a good deal.

Comment

• Re: Ridgid R4511 trunion

Originally posted by hewood View Post
          Steel City is heavily involved with the design and manufacture of the R4511, and shares similar guts as their newer models that have riving knives, which also have the one piece casting.

The one piece arbor support is indeed a more elegant design solution but since the connecting rods on the hybrids have not shown to be the achilles heal that they are to contractor saws with the motor cantilevered off the back, and the fact that the zipcode saws have proven to be very nice saws, I think the term "far superior" is a real stretch. For this application, the one piece design is "more better".
          Heywood
          Is your statement "Steel City is heavily involved.... " based on known fact or is because you see similarities? Steel City/Orion and Ridgid and most other saws are all made in China the land of reverse engineering so similarities are expected. I find it hard to believe seeing the difference in the arbor support that there is any involvment between the Ridgid and Steel city designers. Ridgid had this one piece arbor for a long time and they made it for one reason. It was superior to a multi piece system.

Second a one piece arbor support is far superior to multipiece. Simple logic tells us the more pieces involved the more chance for movement, slop, racking and etc. Look at Delta's new campaign for their new Unisaw. They are making that one factor a major selling point. If you will read any old books dealing with table saws, for years the experts said don't use the bevel tilt on your saw. Why because of the problems it caused with blade parallelism. This has been the Achilles heel of saws and in many cases still is. I constantly find saws with blades out of parallel with the mitre slot/fence because the whole assembly is racked. As far as I know aside from a real cabinet saws only Ridgid, Dewalt and General international have one piece arbor assemblies.

For years manufactures have known this to be the problem with Contractor saws but rather than confirming it they allowed everyone to blame table mounted trunions. When in fact table mounted trunions are superior to cabinet mounted in respect to rigidity. I will agree table mount are harder to adjust but once they are adjusted they should never move. I have seen cabinet mounted trunnions move to the point they needed readjusted due to things hitting the table top.

Frankly I don't think anyone should use Sears zipcode saws as an example of good or bad. Sears already closed out one model and in our local stores the other models are on clearance. You tell me but I think this short life span tells the real story.

As for Steel city I met their local reps at a woodworking show and after 10 minutes of their arrogance and misleading statements was enough for me.

Frankly I would rather have a Ridgid 3650 or a Dewalt DW746 before I bought either the Sears or the Steel City and now the this new saw from Ridgid seems like the real winner.

As to the fence everyone is worried about. Mount a aux fence that has a t-track and you can mount anything you want. I think the fence is super from what I see. Just doesn't have the added laminated pieces the Beismeyer or the aluminum of the Delta. Easy Easy fix.
          Last edited by RevEd; 01-15-2009, 12:59 PM.
          Rev Ed

Comment

Many talk of wanting the R4511 and I think it is a good saw but one thing you might want to think about. Many many many new products are coming out using magnets to attach various gauges/jigs to saws. The granite table of the R4511 precludes their use. So if your a person that likes to buy aftermarket accessories this is something to think about.

Also I would like to know what happens if you extend the mitre gauge off the table toward the front so it is only supported with the t-washer. If you then bump the gauge can this chip out the granite? I like really like the idea of granite for flatness, smoothness and rust, but I really wonder about it chipping (yes it can be filled with epoxy) cracking, oem aftermarket jigs and breaking the t-slot in the mitre slot.

The 3650 may be a better match to people that want addon's, are rougher with their tools (read this as saying prone to use the table saw as a table). It only fault is the motor hanging off the rear makes it take more room. Add a permanent outfeed table to either and that point becomes a moot.
            Rev Ed

Comment

I guess I just need to practice a little patience and wait for the stores to carry them. We’re only looking at a month anyway if they stay a course. I will keep checking though every time I am near my HD. Red
              Red

Comment

Ed - It's known fact that TTI has entered into some sort of licensing agreement with Steel City for their hybrid and granite top technology. The details of that agreement are unknown. The fact that the motor, motor mount, trunnion system, enclosure, access door, accessory hooks, and even the tubular steel crate they come in are coincidentally identical to those used by Steel City's Orion subsidiary who makes the SC/Craftsman/Duracraft hybrids lends credence to speculation of the level of involvement.

"Frankly I don't think anyone should use Sears zipcode saws as an example of good or bad. Sears already closed out one model and in our local stores the other models are on clearance. You tell me but I think this short life span tells the real story." ....The same logic could be applied to Ridgid (and many other industries, like cars) ... the 3650 was made from 2004 to 2007 when it was replaced with the 3660 in late 2007 or 2008. Now the R4511 has entered the picture to fill a market need, and even possibly replace the 3660 eventually....does that make either less of a saw? Not IMO. Things change, times change, laws change, market demands change, updates and improvements evolved...that's all I see into the situation.
                Last edited by hewood; 01-15-2009, 03:01 PM.

Comment

hey red

I noticed there will be a wwing show in atlanta the weekend of the 23rd. seems you are not crazy far away...

I mention this because I read in another thread that a guy found r4511s being sold by ridgid at wwing shows for $539. I do not know for a fact that they will have these guys for sale and if they do I have no idea what the price would be, however, I did verify that ridgid will have an exhibit. if nothing else, I bet they would at least have one on display...

http://cms.thewoodworkingshows.com/c...0/Default.aspx

I plan to go on saturday. I will post a note if I find them on sale.

in fact, in case anyone happens to know if they will be on sale or not, you could save me a trip?

Comment

Originally posted by dirtman View Post
                    Cactus,

What you said is exactly what Pamala said to me, more or less. She did say it could be the middle of Feb or the end of Feb, not sure.

Buck

Comment

Originally posted by RevEd View Post
                      Many talk of wanting the R4511 and I think it is a good saw but one thing you might want to think about. Many many many new products are coming out using magnets to attach various gauges/jigs to saws. The granite table of the R4511 precludes their use. So if your a person that likes to buy aftermarket accessories this is something to think about.

Also I would like to know what happens if you extend the mitre gauge off the table toward the front so it is only supported with the t-washer. If you then bump the gauge can this chip out the granite? I like really like the idea of granite for flatness, smoothness and rust, but I really wonder about it chipping (yes it can be filled with epoxy) cracking, oem aftermarket jigs and breaking the t-slot in the mitre slot.

The 3650 may be a better match to people that want addon's, are rougher with their tools (read this as saying prone to use the table saw as a table). It only fault is the motor hanging off the rear makes it take more room. Add a permanent outfeed table to either and that point becomes a moot.
                      I bought a dial indicator from Sears, along with a magnetic base to match. The problem was the magnetic base had NO magnetic quality whatsoever. It was junk! Some times you have to make something work using your own resources. Talk about gray matter. So I made a jig to hold the tool in a way that worked for me.

I hope not to offend anyone. But I remember well going to machine tool shows in the late 50's early 60's and seeing milling machines made in the U.S.A. and those made in Japan. They looked to be the same except for the name plate. However the steel was of a different caliber, it was soft. I also remember the Japan industrialist's wanting to tour the Cat. factory in a big way. A few years later Cat bulldozer lookalikes appeared in America. On the other hand if it was made here it would most likely cost more, but last longer.
                      Now they have newer steel plants than we, no more beer can steel.Today they make good products to our specs. At some point if we keep losing our manufacturing capability and the wages it provides could it be that only a few of us will be able to afford these products, as cheap as they may be?

The pendulum swings I guess.

Buck

Comment

Ed - It's known fact that TTI has entered into some sort of licensing agreement with Steel City for their hybrid and granite top technology. The details of that agreement are unknown. The fact that the motor, motor mount, trunnion system, enclosure, access door, accessory hooks, and even the tubular steel crate they come in are coincidentally identical to those used by Steel City's Orion subsidiary who makes the SC/Craftsman/Duracraft hybrids lends credence to speculation of the level of involvement.

"Frankly I don't think anyone should use Sears zipcode saws as an example of good or bad. Sears already closed out one model and in our local stores the other models are on clearance. You tell me but I think this short life span tells the real story." ....The same logic could be applied to Ridgid (and many other industries, like cars) ... the 3650 was made from 2004 to 2007 when it was replaced with the 3660 in late 2007 or 2008. Now the R4511 has entered the picture to fill a market need, and even possibly replace the 3660 eventually....does that make either less of a saw? Not IMO. Things change, times change, laws change, market demands change, updates and improvements evolved...that's all I see into the situation.

Heywood

"It's known fact...." Known by who? People that signed the agreement or bunch of guys speculating on the internet? Is it not possible there is no design agreement at all? Only that the plant in China that makes granite tops makes more granite tops than Steel city uses. Or even the manufacture of the Steel City brands had far more production capabilities than Steel city could use so Ridgid got them to use their manufacturing to build their saws. Or possibly since everything is made in the land of reverse engineering another completely separate plant is simply using the various things like granite tops and crating they reverse engineered from another company. The motor mount and the other parts you cite are nothing more than standard equip on nearly every other hybred saw out there. They can be found either singularily or in some combination on nearly any machine.

Frankly I think the R4511 should be judged on it's merits alone without anyone that doesn't really know assigning it certain manufacture. The fact is the Ridgid saw and the Steel City saw is completely different saws where it matters most. The Steel city saw uses what is considered by the experts to be an inferior multi piece arbor/trunnion assembly while the Ridgid used what the experts consider a the superior one piece arbor/trunnion assembly. You will not find one "real" cabinet saw with a multi piece arbor/trunnion assembly.

If Steel City did build it then perhaps they have learned their lesson and now will be upgrading their machines and that might be the reason the Sears is clearancing their zipcodes out.

Again I urge those that are so eager for get their hands on this saw, to use wisdom, there is sure to be an introductory price. Besides with this economy prices will have to come down, this is a buyers market for those that understand marketing. Today if you pay full price for anything your missing the boat, make the seller an offer and see. They are desparate for sales. Just save your pennies and be ready to jump when it is time to jump.
                        Rev Ed

Comment

Almost done with assembly. Pretty straight forward, I had one bad screw and a very tight fit alignment issue with one of the pins that secures the leaves to the table.

I should mention that my HD had no idea they were supposed to be holding the saw for me, they just treated like any other inventory and had it sitting on the very top shelf a few isles from the tools. So if she shipped one for you hurry down there and look.

Overall I'm very impressed with the saws build quality, minus those two relatively minor issues.

Comment

Originally posted by RevEd View Post
                            Frankly I think the R4511 should be judged on it's merits alone without anyone that doesn't really know assigning it certain manufacture. The fact is the Ridgid saw and the Steel City saw is completely different saws where it matters most. The Steel city saw uses what is considered by the experts to be an inferior multi piece arbor/trunnion assembly while the Ridgid used what the experts consider a the superior one piece arbor/trunnion assembly. You will not find one "real" cabinet saw with a multi piece arbor/trunnion assembly.

If Steel City did build it then perhaps they have learned their lesson and now will be upgrading their machines and that might be the reason the Sears is clearancing their zipcodes out.

Again I urge those that are so eager for get their hands on this saw, to use wisdom, there is sure to be an introductory price. Besides with this economy prices will have to come down, this is a buyers market for those that understand marketing. Today if you pay full price for anything your missing the boat, make the seller an offer and see. They are desparate for sales. Just save your pennies and be ready to jump when it is time to jump.
                            Ed - The info about the licensing agreement came from the mouth of Scott Box, owner of Steel City, and was spoken directly to the person I got the info from. He's a seasoned veteran of wwing, wwing machinery, and the wwing forums, and I definitely consider him a reliable source. Steel City is supposedly the only manufacturer with experience using granite as a machine top surface, and TTI licensed the technology to benefit from their knowledge.

As has been mentioned on at least two previous occasions, Steel City has revamped their current hybrids to the one-piece trunnion system and a true riving knife. SC 35900G manual.pdf

Comment

Picked up my saw last night. I was by myself so I uncrated it in the store and loaded it by piece. Only took 20 min to uncrate and load. Me and two HD employees lifted the main body of the saw into the back of a Dodge Durango (SUV). I've got a project going at work due at the end of the month. I'm going to try to resist assembling and playing until that's done. We'll see how disciplined I am . I'll post my thoughts on the assembly process once I complete it. As has been posted seems pretty straightforward from browsing through the manual.

Originally posted by ratfusion View Post
                              I should mention that my HD had no idea they were supposed to be holding the saw for me, they just treated like any other inventory and had it sitting on the very top shelf a few isles from the tools. So if she shipped one for you hurry down there and look.
                              I had the same experience. Called my store several times checking on the delivery and they never had a record of the order. Called Pamela the day before it was due in and she made some calls. Apparently it had been sitting at my store for several days. They didn't know it was a special order so they could have sold it before I tracked it down.

I opened both a HD credit card and a HD Mastercard getting $50 off the purchase ($25 each). I think that was a little exreme but I actually needed a credit card (haven't used one in over 8 years). I paid $500 cash and put the rest on the Mastercard. I signed up for the 10% off coupon on the HD website but have not recieved it (takes 4-5 wks). The mgr told me to bring it in when I get it and he'll refund the 10%. So that'll be a total of $110 off making it $490+tax

Comment

Ed - The info about the licensing agreement came from the mouth of Scott Box, owner of Steel City, and was spoken directly to the person I got the info from. He's a seasoned veteran of wwing, wwing machinery, and the wwing forums, and I definitely consider him a reliable source. Steel City is supposedly the only manufacturer with experience using granite as a machine top surface, and TTI licensed the technology to benefit from their knowledge.

As has been mentioned on at least two previous occasions, Steel City has revamped their current hybrids to the one-piece trunnion system and a true riving knife. SC 35900G manual.pdf
                                Okay I accept your story that the China company that is building Steel Cities granite tables are building Ridgid's, but I think I will wait until I can see both machines inside before I buy the story the Steel City is building the Ridgid machine. I hope it isn't true as I really don't like Steel City's offerings up to now.

I was not aware Steel City upgraded their hybred machine to a one piece trunnion/arbor support system. Glad to see they figured that one out.

I wonder what spel the Steel City salesman will now pitch? Last year they tried to convince me and others that the Steel City multipiece system was their invention! And that it was the greatest thing on the market. Idiot! I dragged them over to an old Delta contractor saw being used for another demo and showed them that Delta was using a nearly identical sytem since 80's when the demo machine was built. Idiot!

Not impressed with Steel City and think even less of their sales people.
                                Rev Ed

Comment

Working...
                                X