Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Ridgid R4511 availability?

Originally posted by chrisexv6 View Post
    I was hoping to be able to do that with my 2400, but Im thinking in this economy there just isnt much market for used power tools.

At least not without losing a bunch of $$$ on my current saw, negating most of the savings on the 3660. And I got a *good* price on the 2400, $299.
    Since you bought the 2400 right, you can sell it without too much depreciation...the 2410 is ~ $450 at HD, so I'd think $225-$250 would move the 2400 pretty quickly, meaning you could snag a 3660 for an additional $150 or so out of pocket. That seems a reasonable upgrade to me.

Comment

Originally posted by hewood View Post
      Since you bought the 2400 right, you can sell it without too much depreciation...the 2410 is ~ $450 at HD, so I'd think $225-$250 would move the 2400 pretty quickly, meaning you could snag a 3660 for an additional $150 or so out of pocket. That seems a reasonable upgrade to me.
      Thats one way to look at it, but I was looking at it this way:

399 for the 3660 + 299 for the 2400, total of 698. If I sell the 2400 for 250, the 3600 actually cost me 698-250=448. 100 bux less than the original price, but still 49 more than the clearance price of 399. And thats if I can sell the 2400 for 250 (which I dont think I can......I see a bunch of them on CL around here and they dont seem to "jump off the shelves").

If the 3660 came down in price a little more then maybe. But right now I cant justify it. And I doubt my local stores will have them long enough for the price to drop a little more anyway.

But thats OK, it might just force me to put off a purchase until later in life when Im *really* into the WW thing and can justify a REALLY nice saw.

Comment

I ordered the 4511 a week and a half ago through the contractor sales department at my local home depot. It's on the truck and is supposed to be in tomorrow. The guy that ordered it didn't seem to have any trouble getting it. Just placed the order and told me when it would be in. It might be worthwhile bypassing the normal customer service desk and try the contractor desk.

How are those that have the 4511 liking them?

Comment

Originally posted by btbvtr View Post
          I ordered the 4511 a week and a half ago through the contractor sales department at my local home depot. It's on the truck and is supposed to be in tomorrow. The guy that ordered it didn't seem to have any trouble getting it. Just placed the order and told me when it would be in. It might be worthwhile bypassing the normal customer service desk and try the contractor desk.

What SKU did you use? I've been told the SKU is inactive. Also, what store? I wonder if you have a sharper CS than most!

Comment

I asked the manager at the Contractor desk (sorry, I said CS desk earlier) and used the 750-663 number. That's the SKU that the R4511 on display also had. I was told it was inactive and none would or could be ordered. I'm sure they were just un-informed.

Comment

Originally posted by btbvtr View Post

I did that and the order was canceled for whatever reason! Took em 5 day's to cancel. You can check an orders status at any time. The contractor HD guy called me a few minutes after I looked and saw it was canceled.

Buck

Comment

To be honest, I'm not sure what sku he used. There are a few Home Depot's in my area - one very close to me that I usually go to. I originally asked them about the saw there and just got blank looks. So I called one of the other HD's - hit 5 on their call system - and asked if they could get me the saw. The guy I spoke to said he'd look it up and call me back. Called back and said we were good to go. I went in and ordered it a few days later without any problems. It's at the store now, I just need to pick it up. He didn't seem to have any problems ordering it - I think he either called HD headquarters or Ridgid directly. I'll try to ask him how he did it when I pick it up.

Comment

Well, I paid for the saw about an hour ago. I ordered at the Contractor Services desk and he had never heard about the saw but called 3 different people, the last being Ridgid, and was told Ridgid had them in stock and ready to ship. Shipping to my house was included and expected delivery date is Feb 11th. Hopefully it works out. I believe he just used a generic Ridgid special order sku#. Maybe things are starting to change.

Comment

Originally posted by hewood View Post
                    Just wanted to reply that I was actually able to sell the 2400, got $275 for it (right place, right time I guess). Picked up my 3660 last night, just havent had lifting assistance to be able to get it out of my truck.

And my $258.00 bandsaw from Lowes still isnt assembled either. Wife is gonna kill me!

Comment

hey guys

finally got one!

turns out, the wwing show that came through atlanta a couple weeks ago left some of their supplies at store 153 (marietta). I picked one up there with a 10% coupon. they had one left in a box, but it had a note on it saying it had 2 right hand granite extensions. the hardware guy said a left hand extension was being ordered. the other one was a display unit. it looked like it had been used some at the show. the fence worked very well, and all around I was impressed with what I saw.

say what you will about HD employees, the guys at this particular store were simply awesome. very very helpful, friendly, and knowledgeable. went out of their way (way out) to help me out and get me my saw.

can't wait to start assembly...

thanks again for all the good info on this site!

jon

Comment

Originally posted by chrisexv6 View Post
                        Just wanted to reply that I was actually able to sell the 2400, got $275 for it (right place, right time I guess). Picked up my 3660 last night, just havent had lifting assistance to be able to get it out of my truck.

And my $258.00 bandsaw from Lowes still isnt assembled either. Wife is gonna kill me!
                        Cool! ....sometimes it's better to seek forgiveness than permission! (a new jewelry box or coffee table might help ease her tension!)

Comment

anyone remember where the belt was in the packaging? things were going well until I got to this step... I have been through the boxes and packaging 3 times. it just isn't there. I guess I will have to call ridgid on monday...

I looked through the rest of the steps, I seem to have everything else.

also, I agree with the other poster. the herc-u-lift is the most difficult part. mostly because you need to leave certain nuts loose during assembly so things line up later. that always kinda feels wrong to me. however, once you get the saw on the base though, everything else is easy.

build quality seems pretty good so far.

Comment

I just got mine today!!
                            I had to drive 1 1/2 hours away to another state to get though.

The belt was right on top of saw, first thing you see when you open up the crate. It was with the manual and the blade.

This thing is heavy! It will make you have blind babies.

Comment

• Re: Ridgid R4511 trunion

Originally posted by RevEd View Post
                              Yep! Looked at the picture and next to the last one shows the arbor support and in fact it is one piece casting. Nothing like the inferior ones that use bar/tubes to run between the trunions.
                              This should be a great saw far superior to the Sears zipcode saws or the Steel city in my opinion.
                              [/quote]The Steel city saw uses what is considered by the experts to be an inferior multi piece arbor/trunnion assembly while the Ridgid used what the experts consider a the superior one piece arbor/trunnion assembly. You will not find one "real" cabinet saw with a multi piece arbor/trunnion assembly.

If Steel City did build it then perhaps they have learned their lesson and now will be upgrading their machines and that might be the reason the Sears is clearancing their zipcodes out.[/quote]

I just had to say something. Ed, where are you getting this? What "experts"? What lesson? Can you link some info, tests, facts? Have you ever used a 22124 saw? It is an excellent saw for the money[many of us paid $500-600] and with the Bies. fence I would not trade it for this 3/4 cab Ridgid saw . The Biesmeyer fence will have more of an influence on results than the trunion design's. Why alll the bias?

I own a Unisaw and a 22124. Had several contractor saws over the years. The last being a 3650.
                              You logic as to the lightweight zinc trunnions on the Ridgid saws as well as the limitations of all contractor designs, being superior design over the 2 solid chrome moly large rods escapes me. Any modern hybrid is superior to any contractor saw in overall design. The only reason to buy a contractor saw over a hybrid is if cost is a problem. Thoses rods you refer to are machined and indexed and bolted into the castings. There are simply no issues in actual use. They are much stronger than cast iron actually, tool steel. I called Orion years ago to inquire about them. They can not rotate due to the maching and indexing . can they twist? I suppose,with enough force applied, but how is that going to happen in cutting in a complete assembly in the saw? Can you show any test on published problems like the known issues with all contractor saws ?
                              They are nothing like the contractor tubes you maybe are refering to in some contractor saws. I never have read or personally seen any issues with the 22124 or the like, in any cut accuracy problems. Racking does occur on heavy bevel cuts in contractor saws. Some more some less. No measureable problems have been reported with the Orion saws as far as I know with reference to the trunnion accuracy or durabliity. It is not better than a true Unisaw type of design however in sheer mass or history of use.
                              The granite top on this new saw has some practical problems in the miter slot. The "T" is prone to breakage . Woodnet members have reported that steel city top are damaged in the stores by customers playing aroun with the miter gauge. The need to have a metal insert.
                              This new design is much better than the rehashed 70's emmerson/sears saws that Ridgid has sold before. The fence is better too but,is no commercial Biesmeyer like on the 22124 or even a T-2. Cost cutting obvious there. The internals are possibly better than the previous hybrids in design. Time will tell.

Comment

• Re: Ridgid R4511 trunion

This is my first post.

The St. Louis Woodworking Show had a bunch of them. At 10% off + 10% mail in rebate, I couldn't pass this up. That makes this a $480 saw! This is an awesome hybrid and, at this price, it will be a runaway hit! My friends are jealous.

Heavy isn't the word. I weigh 155 pounds. I had two big guys help me dismantle the box in the truck and offload the pieces. It was still too heavy. It was more than a day sitting in my garage waiting for me to scrounge up 4 friends to move this thing onto the mobile base.

Thank you Rigid for an awesome saw. Curse you for doing such a good 'sell job' on the oscillating belt/spindle sander! haha

Comment

Working...
                                X