Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Ridgid R4511 availability?

Ashman-

Don't even wait to assemble, start snapping pics Now! Looking forward to see those pics.

Comment

Ashman, can you post the number you called to get around the shipping costs and convince them to mail it to your local HD? I haven't had any luck but figure I'm not talking to the right people. I've talked to a HQ CS rep and my local HD CS guy. Not sure I can wait till they decide to stock the local stores since mine still has a few 3660s on the shelf. Looking forward to your pics and comments.

Comment

I have the 4511 assembled except for final adjustments. It went pretty easy except I had to re-tap the threads for one of the studs holding the right side table extension. I will tell you to be sure to open the small plastic bag with the blade tools in it first. That bag has all of the hex wrenches you will need to assemble. I found that out near the end. The assembly directions and figures are fair. The plastic bags with parts are labeled figure A, B, C etc, but the figures in the directions are labeled 21, 22, etc.
        I had intended on unloading the unit by hooking a chainfall to the top of the steel shipping cage but after looking at it I didn't think it was strong enough so I just took it apart and unloaded each package separately.I then assembled the leg set and the Herculift. (Could have ran straps under the cage to lift.) Two of us lifted the saw off of the trailer and onto the stand without a problem. If it would hav been higher like the back of a pickup it may have been tougher.

I have about 39 photos but so far have been unable to attach them to this email because the files are too large. When I get that figured out I will show them.

For anyone near Woodhaven, MI the HD in Woodhaven had one more that arrived with mine so they did have one in stock on Wednesday this week. The store number is 734-671-4400.

Comment

Ashman - You might have better luck posting the pics on photo hosting forum like Photobucket, and just linking to the album.

Comment

Thanks I'll try to figure that out tomorrow. Even when I compressed the files earlier it was too large.

Comment

Thanks HEWOOD for the photobucket suggestion. Now if I only get it right the pictures will be here!! I think if you double click the photo it will enlarge it>

Comment

Great pics, thanks Ashman! When will be able to get your thoughts? Is that a splitter or is it a riving knife? How was alignment of the granite extensions?

Comment

Very nice. Lucky guy. I would like to order one, too, but I'm in Canada so I suspect it'll be 2010 before we see this saw available. :\

Comment

How well does the herculift do with all that weight? What are your first impressions of the fence?

Comment

Originally posted by Ashman View Post
                      Thanks I'll try to figure that out tomorrow. Even when I compressed the files earlier it was too large.
                      Using Windows?

Microsoft Powertoys includes an image resizer.

For Vista use Prish Image resizer
                      http://www.powerhourgame.com/windows...ge_resizer.htm

Both are free.
                      Poplar Branch Wood Crafts

Comment

That's impressive Ashman...super job with the pics! The guts of the saw look very stout for a hybrid, especially one in this price range. I'm not sure how the new Steel City hybrids are constructed, but none of other brands offer the combination of cabinet mounted trunnions and a one-piece cast arbor carriage....the others offer one advantage or the other, but not both, so this is a significant construction advancement in my eyes. The motor, motor mount, trunnions, and several other elements look similar to the other Orion made hybrids, so I'm guessing this will be an excellent saw. I'm still puzzled why there are no faces on the fence, but aside from that the fence should function much like the Delta T2, Jet Proshop and other homeshop t-square types. The granite top is gorgeous!

I think you owe it to yourself (and your saw!) to snag a better TK blade or two....the combination of the Forrest 30T WWII TK and the Infinity 010-060 60T Hi-ATB should be able to handle the lion's share of your cutting tasks with incredible results, and either can be left in the saw for a wide variety of tasks....there's good functional overlap between the two, but some unique capabilities to each that compliment each other well...lean towards the 30T for thicker ripping, 60T for cleaner cuts and sheetgoods.

Best of luck with the new saw, and thanks for taking the time to enlighten us!
                        Last edited by hewood; 12-20-2008, 08:44 AM.

Comment

Thanks for the great photos. What type of miter grove does it have? Give us more details on the fence. Let us know about vibration when you start it up. How solid is it on the floor? Any more quirks on the assembly. Your photos helped me make up my mind on this saw. Thanks again.

Comment

Yes it is a riving knife and travels up and down with the blade. It has a quick disconnect for easy removal once the throat plate is removed or through the side cover (two screws to be removed there but I am going to come up with a latch to make it easier. (I believe you can see the silver T shape release in one of the inside the cabinet photos) The granite table extensions line up very well and are easy to adjust. The Herculift works fine with the weight however just as with my old craftsman contractor saw I wish it lifted a little higher to make up for the uneven floor. The fence appears very similar to the Delta T2 without the faces. I will be adding some UMHW fence faces, not that you really need them but I want them. Just have to keep in mind that if you don't change the measuring tape on the rail you will be off the thickness of the face. The miter groove is a T slot. The vibration when running is minimal especially compared to my 30 year old Craftsman contractor saw. I ripped a piece of 3/4 oak and it cut very smooth and no effort.

During assembly i found the blade to be out .010 in of being square with the miter slots. Just had to loosen the four bolts connecting the table top with the cabinet to adjust. (directions indicate that the four hex head bolts are located inside the cabinet but two of them are actually located outside the cabinet on the left side) A very slight adjustment was required on the 90 and 45 degree stops but again was easy to do.

Overall I am satisfied at this point with the construction of the saw and the effort required to assemble it. It appears to be well made, heavy and pretty much what I was looking for. For the $599 (less 10%, $539.10 for getting the HD consumer credit card) compared to the Craftsman 22114 at $749 and others I think its a great saw for the money.

I have included a few more photos that I couldn't send the first time due to the 15 photo limit.

Comment

One other thing I forgot to mention is that the motor can be re-wired to run on 240v if you want to. I haven't decided yet.

Comment

I wonder how long it'd take to show up at my home depot. They told me it was in the system and could be ordered. Trying to decide if its worth the weight and loss of 6" of rip over the TS3660. I'll be working plywood sheets to build cabinets mostly, any opinions?

Comment

Working...
                                X