Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Ridgid R4511 availability?

Originally posted by ratfusion View Post
    I wonder how long it'd take to show up at my home depot. They told me it was in the system and could be ordered. Trying to decide if its worth the weight and loss of 6" of rip over the TS3660. I'll be working plywood sheets to build cabinets mostly, any opinions?
    The weight is a significant advantage that'll give it more of the feel of a cabinet saw...it won't budge when the wheels are retracted. People inaccurately describe the 3650 (and other comparable saws) as "rock solid" when set up properly...it's stable, but at 287#, it'll wiggle a little when pushed moderately. In comparison the 4511 is considerably heavier at 450#, and should be noticeably more stable (or however folks want to describe it compared to "rock solid" ), yet it should still roll well on the wheels when needed.

Because the 4511 is a left tilt saw, you're not likely to ever need any left side rip capacity, which will allow you to move the rails over to the right in the range of 10" to 20".

Comment

The weight is a question for me in the "how the hell will I ever get it somewhere else" way. I don't have a permanent workshop yet. But I'd rather buy the right one to keep forever, and its sounding like they did everything right with this one.

Comment

The one thing I have not seen for this saw is a Low profile riving knife, the one without the blade guard. Does this saw come with one?

Comment

Just to pass on again, anyone near the Woodhaven, MI Home Depot, I was in the store today and they have the other 4511 that came in with mine set up as a display. They didn't do a very good job putting it together but it will let you see the saw up close and personal.

By the way someone asked about vibration in mine. It did pass the nichol on end test, at start up, idle and shut down.

Comment

Sorry, make that the nickel test!!!

Comment

I called the Woodhaven store. The person I spoke with didn't know a thing about the R4511. That person even asked someone else about ordering one and the answer was no. And for everyone's information this person said that all stores got 1. That was funny because I was calling from the Lapeer , Mi. store and they didn't have one and had never heard of it. They also said they could not order it. Sounds like Ashman got very lucky. A question for Ashman , does the marble top seem to make it top heavy at all? Also, what kind of feather boards will work?

Comment

Its amazing that the people in the store do not know anything about the saw on the floor in the front part of the tool section, I saw it yesterday.

The saw does not seem top heavy and move freely on the herculift. As far as featherboards I intend on using the ones I always have that go into the miter slot and tighten up. Obviously you won't be able to use any of the magnetic ones.

I spoke to one of the people that I dealt with getting my saw today and explained that there was a lot of excitement about this saw. I also told them that there was a lot of frustraition due to the unavailability and lack of knowledge regarding availability by the personnel at the store level. I asked if I could pass out the numbers that I dealt with to this forum (I don't want to PO the people that helped me but something should be done)

They are supposed to check it out and send me an email with more information. I will pass on whatever and whenever I get it.

Comment

Ashman, I went to my local HD yesterday, 70 miles away, again, to check one more time on the R4511. The "Customer Service" dept., and I use the term loosely, didn't know anything about the saw yet. So I gave them the model number, the product number and the sku number. Then she was able to look it up and said it isn't on order, they weren't expecting to order any and wouldn't special order one in for me at this time.

Over all the experience EQUALLED the knowledgable experience I have come to expect.

If I hadn't had good luck with Ridgid tools and a few occasions where HD went out of their way to make things right I would just give up.

I guess I will hold off until the holidays are over and see what IS available and go from there. I really do want to buy one so I hope they get their act together. Thanks for all the info.
                  Last edited by jerdebson; 12-23-2008, 07:37 PM.
                  Jerry

Comment

Originally posted by jerdebson View Post
                    Ashman, I went to my local HD yesterday, 70 miles away, again, to check one more time on the R4511. The "Customer Service" dept., and I use the term loosely, didn't know anything about the saw yet. So I gave them the model number, the product number and the sku number. Then she was able to look it up and said it isn't on order, they weren't expecting to order any and wouldn't special order one in for me at this time.

Over all the experience EQUALLED the knowledgable experience I have come to expect.

If I hadn't had good luck with Ridgid tools and a few occasions where HD went out of their way to make things right I would just give up.

I guess I will hold off until the holidays are over and see what IS available and go from there. I really do want to buy one so I hope they get their act together. Thanks for all the info.
                    This is very same thing I heard at my local HD.
                    They said it was available "online only" and appox. shipping cost would be 450 dollars.

Comment

Just noticed, the cost for "home delivery - threshold" has dropped to $350. At least its moving in the right direction.

Comment

Now its out of stock online, again. Local store says they can't order it, but they had and sold one on black friday. I didn't think it was even out then.

Comment

I just got back home from my local HD and was told that they don't have it and can't order it for me because it's "online only". Will this continue to only be an online item...I can't believe that it won't be showing up in stores when the stock of 3650s is depleted.

Comment

I seen it in woodworkers Journal and the magazine
                            says available at home depot
                            in mid January!!!

Comment

I had a friend call yesterday and said he was at the Woodhaven, MI store and saw the one on display and talked to a HD employe that said yes it is a new item and they had about six in the back for customers. I feel bad that when people call the store they say they have none when I have seen the display model. I will try to get there in the next couple of days and get a name of someone to talk to. In the mean time I'm still waiting for a call to give me the okay to pass out the numbers I used. I will get back to all of you if and when I get some info.

Comment

Okay all, I visited my local Woodhaven store today and the display model that they had was dismantled and sold to a customer. I wonder who my friend talked to? They do not have any in stock but the manager "Mark" told me he had ordered one more and they will put it together again and use as display until someone buys it. Would make sense to me to order two so they don't have to keep putting together and taking apart but thats just me.

Now for the better news. I received an email today from Home Depot in Atlanta, Georgia. In the email they said that I was correct in that they do intend on moving the old stock from the stores before bringing in the new model however, anyone that wishes to order one of these saws can call
                                "Pamela Holland" at 770-433-8211 extension 83945 to have one shipped to the store of their choice. You will need the store # or the store address to ship to and the model # R4511. There will be no shipping charges if it is being shipped to a Home Depot store. The selling price is $599. The people in Atlanta have been extremely helpful and I thank them for that.

I hope this helps those that wish to purchase one.

Comment

Working...
                                X