X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Headless Pinner?

My dad makes custom wood clocks and he has been doing wood working for 30+ years (he is 65). He has set his ways a little on how he does things. He bought a brad nailer about a year ago and he loves it. He spent a year debating weather or not he should buy one. He finally got a porter cable because it was only $50 (refurb).

I wanted to kind of surprise him with a good gift. I know a headless pinner is not going to be as good as a brad nailer but I imagine it has some good uses when working with small pieces of wood. Could you guys imagine him using it to build something such as a clock? (pictures below)
    http://www.tylertool.com/porpin23ga1p.html

Re: Headless Pinner?

they are very useful in attaching trim till the glue sets

Comment

+1 on what iwoodtoo said. If you really want to give him a top notch pinner look at the GREX line. On the other end of the scale is the Harbor Freight pinner. Don't be fooled by the price on the HF model though, I have this pinner and it works very well.

Tell your dad for me that he does beautiful work.
      Teach your kids about taxes..........eat 30 percent of their ice cream.

Comment

Thanks. I am pretty sure I will get him one. I know he has to glue different things.
        I really like his clocks he gave those to me for free.

Comment

I recently purchased the PC pin nailer and used it in finsihing up some hold downs on glass panel doors. It works great, can hardly even tell the nail is there if used on dark wood. Don't know about lighter colored wood, but I'm sure it's a similar result.

Comment

I bought this today.
            http://www.homedepot.com/webapp/wcs/...8&ddkey=Search

It is perfect because I was planning on buying my dad the pin nailer for x-mas for $100. I wanted a small compressor and the staple gun. I already had a brad nailer and finsih nailer. I also like the brad nailer better than my dewalt.

The pin nailer works pretty well too. I think he will get a lot of use out of it. I called him and talked to him about it before I bought it because I would not have bought the kit unless he wanted that.

Comment

After reading a discussion of headless pin nailers on the forum a couple years ago I decided to buy one. The PC I bought didn't work well at all. The actuator in the head left dents in the trim that were larger than the heads of the PC trim nailer I had been using. I returned it. Maybe, somehow, I operated it improperly. I tried to apply only slight pressure, but no matter how little pressure I applied the nailer left a dent in the trim. I recall thinking at the time that there should have been a rubber tip on the actuator of the pin nailer like the one on my PC trim nailer but there wasn't one. I was disappointed.

-Tom

Comment

Originally posted by Tom W View Post
                After reading a discussion of headless pin nailers on the forum a couple years ago I decided to buy one. The PC I bought didn't work well at all. The actuator in the head left dents in the trim that were larger than the heads of the PC trim nailer I had been using. I returned it. Maybe, somehow, I operated it improperly. I tried to apply only slight pressure, but no matter how little pressure I applied the nailer left a dent in the trim. I recall thinking at the time that there should have been a rubber tip on the actuator of the pin nailer like the one on my PC trim nailer but there wasn't one. I was disappointed.

-Tom
                I never did use the PC model but the senco model has a dial to adjust for depth of setting. I usually had it on the deepest setting anyway because I used it a lot and would rather have it too deep than set the pins proud.

I also never tried the Ridgid model but all my other air nailers are Ridgid and I swear by them.

As for the GREX, it is on sale on Amazon at crazy prices. If I wasn't out of the game I wouldn't be able to resist!

Eli
                A good carpenter makes few mistakes, a great carpenter can fix his own.

Comment

Working...
                X