X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ridgid Portable 2400 (?)Table saw

Just curious...I was just at Home Depot looking at the TS2424 Tablesaw. The sales person directed me towards a Ridgid 2400 (?) portable tablesaw with its own built in stand that converts to a 2-wheeler for easy moving. The right side of the table extends from 12" to 24". He told me that it's a better saw. "Direct drive means more power to the blade, and the TS2424 bogs down quite often" he said. It sells for $579.00 vs. $599.00 for the TS2424. I really had my mind made up on the TS2424. I like the idea of having 24" on both sides of the blade (I'm left-handed). Any input? Please?
    Wayno

Wayno,

The (cough, weez, tongue in cheek) salesperson that you had the misfortune to meet up with, had obviously just finished hitting the crack pipe right before talking to you. I am not knocking the 2400 at all, I have not personally used it, but there are many members here that talk highly about it. The truth is though, it is comparing apples to oranges. the 2400 is a portable, which means it is meant to take to job sites. The 2424 is a contractors saw. It is heavier, more powerful, and more accurate based soley on the design. If you want to use a table saw for trim work on site, than maybe the 2400 is a better choice, but for the average hobbyist woodworker the 2424 is a much better choice. Oh an BTW, my 2424 has ripped 5/4 - 8/4 hard maple without any problems at all. Hope this information helps.
    -Rob<br /> <a href=\"http://home.comcast.net/~robritch/\" target=\"_blank\">http://home.comcast.net/~robritch/</a> <br />Damn, I hit the wrong nail again. Ouch that hurts

Comment

O' my gosh... The salesman you were talking to sounds full of dukie... Put on the hip waders...

I would buy the TS2424LS hands down over a direct drive model of most any type. If you are that close in dollars it is most certainly worth the few bucks extra... The TS2424 motor will run on 120v or will convert to 220v, which is not possible with the 2400. There are too many pro's to buying the belt driven saw over the direct drive it isn't funny. Beside the motor, the TS2424 has a great herc-u-lift
      wheel system, a better fence, and more cutting capacity. Don't get me wrong the 2400 is a good saw and has its place but comparing it to the 2424 is not apples to apples. Only way I would own a 2400 is if I was loading it up all the time and taking it places or just plane didn't have the room to keep anything bigger. If that's not an issue then go for the big guy. You shouldn't be disappointed. I have had my TS2424 for a few months now and have used it a bunch on many different precision projects. It performs very well. I have cut oak, cherry, 3/4" CDX, MDF, and BC sheeted goods, and never even slowed it down... It ran very well on 120v but runs spectacular on 220v. I can balance a nickel on the table before startup and it will stand well past shut down too. I tried this three times in a row and it never fell. Finally threw the nickel in my pocket.
      The decision is most certainly yours but I would not let a salesman talk me down in saws. I wonder if he has ever used either or is just shooting from the hip. I have ran into that numerous times at HD… I would ask all my questions to the tablesaw users on this sight, and make up my mind this way before listening to a clerk… Some clerks are knowledgeable but they are far and few in between.
      Any way this is my $0.02, take it or leave it...
      I take better care of my TS2424LS than my wife does her fine dishes. It gets cleaned and polished every time I am finished with a project... TS2424LS is #1 in my book...

Sorry I am so windy...
      Regards,<br /><br />Big Johnson<br /><br />Pictures: <a href=\"http://www.woodworkersweb.com/modules.php?set_albumName=albuv85&op=modload&name= gallery&file=index&include=view_album.php\" target=\"_blank\">http://www.woodworkersweb.com/modules.php?set_albumName=albuv85&op=modload&name= gallery&file=index&include=view_album.php</a>

Comment

"has ripped 5/4 - 8/4 hard maple"

I'll see RRitch's 8/4 hard maple and raise 12/4 Honduran Mahogany.

Almost any saw will bog down under one of three conditions. Misalignment, improper blade, improper power supply.

The Sales Dude's direct drive argument would actually be correct, IF all other factors were constant. They aren't, so he isn't.

Enjoy your TS2424.

Dave

Comment

What is that salesman smoking...I want some I have the TS2400 and I like it a lot. But the TS 2424 is a far supior saw to the TS2400. I work at HD Part time and I'll tell you the Sales associates (most of them) don,t know anything about anything. I'm no pro but I have more knowledge than half of them. GET THE TS2400 and enjoy.

Chuck
          Semper Fi <BR>Chuck<BR>USMC 66-70

Comment

Woops I meant the TS2424

Sorry [img]tongue.gif[/img]
            Semper Fi <BR>Chuck<BR>USMC 66-70

Comment

Thanks all. This certainly makes my decision a "slam-dunk" for the TS2424. These forums are fantastic. Stay tuned for my cries for help when I start the assembly process. I'm picking the saw up tomorrow.
              Wayno

Comment

I think these guys have summed it up.

If your are going to be transporting your saw, go with the TS2400. The 250lbs of the TS2424 is just to much to be moving on a regular basis.

For a home shop go with the TS2424 (or TS2412) with the precision of cast iron, and the quiet, long life of the induction motor, you'll be glad you did.

Jake

Comment

One other note since you are left handed...if you really want to cut on the left side of the table. There are a few simple things you can do. First, align the fence rails so that the majority of your rip capability is on the left side of the blade. If you go beyond 24" left (ie 36") you will need something to act as a spreader bar. This could be metal or an outfeed table which is very common. Moving the fence left will make the stock tape measure on the rails useless so buy a new adhesive metal tape (available through Woodcraft or Rockler) and replace the stock one. And lastly, remember to do your fence alignments on the left side of the blade using the right side of the fence...this is an important step. That's it! Enjoy

P.S.: I own a TS2424...Love it!
                  - Tim

Comment

Working...
                  X