Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: TS3660 Assembly Question

Yuntrips

Sorry to muddy the waters, I might not have read the post right. I like the R4121 and "want" a better table saw, we will see what happens concerning the others.

QUOTE "Yes, I've been hearing rumblings about the R4511 (including pictures). I'm somewhat space-challenged (a crowded 12 x 24), so moveability is an important factor for me. It looks nice. Seems to have a Delta-like fence, and I'm told the ripping capacity is somewhat reduced, but it possesses all the obvious benefits of a hybrid. No clue on when it's coming out, though. If we need to wait for TS3660 inventories to dwindle, it could be forever. We'll see."
    Jerry

Comment

Yuntrips, I only own 2 rigid tools and I check the site almost every day. As far as putting the saw together, I did it by my self. I put the extenion wings on after I flipped it. It took me a full 8 hours but I was not rushing and I got the wings as even as possible.

Comment

(why do people on other forums refer to HD as "The Borg"?).

Others may have different definitions, but BORG to me say’s “Resistance is futile. You will be assimilated”. Star Trek TNG.

Steve.

Comment

It can also stand for, Big Orange Retail Giant.
          Teach your kids about taxes..........eat 30 percent of their ice cream.

Comment

Hi, I'm new to this forum as I just bought a TS3660. As for moving it, one HD guy helped me put it in the back of a Subaru Forester with no big effort on either of us, just flop the box onto the back bumper and slide in. When I got it home I slid it out onto the bumper and down onto a 2 wheel dolly. Once into the shop I read the manual (I know most times I throw them away but I really wanted to do this right) and began assembly upsidedown as per directions. I was able to completely assemble upside down and then flip by myself. I am not a superman, it was all very easy, leverage and let the weight work for you. But I must admit it would have been helpful to have some help for some of the work, really get some help for a few minutes just to avoid back strain.
            Only problem I had was setting up the HercuLift assembly. Still not sure I've got it quite right.
            It's a great saw it replaced my very old Rockwell 8 1/4 and I hope it lasts as long as that one (50 years+).
            Anyone else have any problems with the HercuLift assembly?.

Comment

Originally posted by pdavies View Post
              Anyone else have any problems with the HercuLift assembly?.
              Hi pdavies, welcome to the forums! Yes, lots of us had trouble with the HercuLift. Once set up properly, it works like a charm. The tricky part is getting the parts that should be loose to be loose and tightening up the ones that you should. If memory serves me, I had to redo the HercuLift at least 3 times to get it right. I'm fairly mechanically adept, but this had me scratchin my head! I suggest getting the online .pdf manual from www.ridgid.com and review the HercuLift instructions on that (it was a little clearer in the online manual than the one that came with my 3650) a couple times. Eventually it'll come clear, but it's certainly not an intuitive system.
              I put it all back together better than before. There\'s lots of leftover parts.

Comment

Stevan and BadgerDave. I like both of your interpretations. If you put the obvious Star Trek reference together with the evocative acronym, it makes perfect sense!

Comment

Thanks for chiming in Pdavies. Nice to hear from someone who just pulled the trigger and feels happy about it. I'm sure I'll get there soon. Your scenario sounds a lot like what I will need to do when (if) I get there... only, I don't think rolling it into the shop is going to be an option (narrow doorways; high thresholds), so I'll be lugging pieces.

I've got a copy of that manual on my computer, so maybe I'll start reading it soon.

jack

Comment

Originally posted by yuntrips View Post
                    I've got a copy of that manual on my computer, so maybe I'll start reading it soon.
                    Thats excatly what I did. I was never a mechanical type and the assembly of the 3650 seemed like a tall task for me. But from reading this forum I downloaded the pdf manual and spent a good deal of time reading the assembly instructions before I actually started. And when I did start I took my time. Needless to say it went very well and gave a great sense of pride for newbie like me.

Now the alignment process was a totally different story due to a bonehead move by me, I'll just leave it that .

Comment

yuntrips, sounds like you already know this, but make sure you build it where you are going to use it. When I built my 3650 a year ago I built it in one of the bays of my three car garage because there was plenty of room to spread out the pieces. Then when I went to roll it into my workshop behind the 3 car bays it didn't fit through the doorway! I had to get 2 other people to help me carry it around to the back of the garage and through the back door. I guess I was so excited about my new saw that I wasn't thinking straight.

I'll never do that again.

Comment

I built mine in my basement where it lives, but one thing I found useful was that I laid out two sheets of OSB to build it on. That way the hardware, etc. stood out (compared to my gray concrete floor), and the table didn't go against concrete, but against the more forgiving sheet of OSB.

Comment

Originally posted by WoodstownWoodworker View Post
                          yuntrips, sounds like you already know this, but make sure you build it where you are going to use it. When I built my 3650 a year ago I built it in one of the bays of my three car garage because there was plenty of room to spread out the pieces. Then when I went to roll it into my workshop behind the 3 car bays it didn't fit through the doorway! I had to get 2 other people to help me carry it around to the back of the garage and through the back door. I guess I was so excited about my new saw that I wasn't thinking straight.

I'll never do that again.
                          I hear ya. That's my plan. My shop is actually an extra room (about 12 x 24) in the lower level of my split-entry that was never finished. It served as a small work area (just 1 stationary power tool) and storage area for decades. I just cleaned it out and put up walls/ceiling, re-did the lighting, and have been busy outfitting it to support my hobby (I'm retired and looking for stuff to do). Long story short... there's only a room-sized door leading into it that would NOT accomodate a finished saw.

Comment

Originally posted by cpw View Post
                            I built mine in my basement where it lives, but one thing I found useful was that I laid out two sheets of OSB to build it on. That way the hardware, etc. stood out (compared to my gray concrete floor), and the table didn't go against concrete, but against the more forgiving sheet of OSB.
                            It took me awhile to realize you were referring to that stuff I used to call "chipboard", and not the Order of Saint Benedict. Thanks for the advice. I was planning to put some cardboard under the cast iron parts, at least.

But let's not get hasty. I still need to find the money to buy this thing. An HD a few towns over has them on the floor in boxes marked $469 (not $549), the same price as the TS2410 portable!! This is making me crazy!

j.

Comment

stop futzing around and buy the ts3660. you'll be glad you did as it is a very good tool. as far as getting it from the store to wherever you ultimately want it, remember this: there is a solution to every problem...you just have to be willing to find it. there are no parts that a reasonably fit person cannot handle.
                              there's a solution to every problem.....you just have to be willing to find it.

Comment

Originally posted by FINER9998 View Post
                                stop futzing around and buy the ts3660. you'll be glad you did as it is a very good tool. as far as getting it from the store to wherever you ultimately want it, remember this: there is a solution to every problem...you just have to be willing to find it. there are no parts that a reasonably fit person cannot handle.
                                If only it was just a matter of futzing or not futzing. These days, diverting ~$500 of "disposable" income into a non-essential item (unless you consider that my hobby is severely hamstrung by the lack of a useful sawing tool) is a hard thing to justify, given that my retirement nest egg is worth about half what it was a few months ago. But I'll do it eventually. I'm no longer worried about getting it into the house after hearing all the useful advice from guys on the forum. Thanks again, all!

Comment

Working...
                                X