X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: TS3660 Assembly Question

I bought my 3660 last weekend. The guys at Home Depot loaded it in the truck but it was up to my wife and I to unload it and get it in the shop. I opened the box in the truck and we took it in one piece at a time. The two of us were able to get the main assembly out of the truck and on the hand truck without any problems.

I probably spent as much time on the Herculift assembly as I did on the rest of the saw!

My shop is in the basement and I'm very fortunate to have ground level access. One step inside the door is a whole lot better than a flight of stairs!

John

Comment

That's what did. The heaviest parts are the table extensions. My wife helped me get those on but the rest I did myself. I love the saw and do not have any regret over buying it. Good luck!

Comment

I too assembled mine upside down including the wings. Then I had to flip it upright by myself. I had my wife wedge her foot against the leg of the stand to keep it from slipping as I raised it up. I was surprised I could do it by myself but I did, heart condition and all.

Comment

I let them deliver it. Since delivery was free, and its backbreaking work to lift and bring into my garage/shop.
          The delivery guy brought it right to the yard and placed it at my shop entrance.
          I had my son help me assemble it.
          We overtightened one bolt on the herculift base, and the bolt cracked, but besides that, the assembly wasnt bad at all.
          The saw is well worth the effort of assembly.
          Its one great machine!

Comment

Welcome to the forum, Allen.

Comment

Going back to the original post. First, at $469, you have a very good deal. Jump on it. Second, I bought a 3660 last weekend from HD. I am fortunate in that I have a 4X8 utility trailer. The folks at HD loaded it for me. When I got home, it was one piece at a time out of the box. At 66, I am not the superman I once thought I was, but if you are sensible, and plan your moves, you can handle it. Don't futz around. If you don't have a way to get it home, HD rents trucks for something like $30 an hour.
              "non illegitimis carborundum"

Comment

Finally pulled the trigger, with minor gloat

OK, so I finally researched and queried and hemmed and hawed until my head nearly exploded, then finally drove down to HD and bought the saw. It's in pieces on 2 shop benches and the shop floor. And yes, I easily managed to transport it piecemeal from my SUV to the shop without incident (but that main saw assembly is deceptively heavy, although not a back breaker by any means). Now all I need to do is put it together.

Now the gloat:
                The local HD had these marked $469*. I had a 10% coupon ($422.10), plus, about 10 days ago, I bought a $500 HD gift card on eBay for $475, and got 20% cashback from MicroSoft LiveSearch (-$95), so the card nets out to $380. If I apply the total savings, I effectively paid $302.10 for the saw!

Thanks to all for the feedback and advice. Greatly appreciated.

* as it turns out, somebody mistakenly put a sign for the TS2410 portable on the TS3660s, but they gave me the lower price anyway.

Comment

I love this forum and cannot resist telling my "sawdid" TS3660 assembly story

I had the fellows at HD load the monstrous box into the back of my SUV. It took FOUR of them. As I watched them, my heart sank thinking I would be driving around for the rest of my life with a box in my SUV. I thought for about a week about how I was going to do this on my own and then finally decided how. I drove it down to my basement shop and also unpacked it piece by piece (I have subsequently read here that others used this approach also). I made sure to lay out the pieces of the first layer in exactly the same position as they were when they were in the box. Then as soon as layer one was unpacked I took that Styrofoam layer and re-packed the parts into it so that it would be clear to me how I had originally extracted them. I took a picture of the box before I started unpacking the parts. I did this because I knew that getting the saw out of my car would negate having enough energy to do assembly in the immediate future and I wanted to protect the parts.

I repeated the process for the second layer and left only one large section in the box that I was not able to lift by myself. Then I put a board as a ramp on the back of my car and slid the box containing the main section down my "ramp". I was then easily able to drag the box into my shop and then repack that layer too. I also assembled the saw by myself using long breaks to think and planks as levers and cushions as insurance in case any of my cunning assembly plans failed. Once I was ready to assemble I labeled every single part and stored all the screws an nuts in labeled ice cube trays. I was well prepared for a long complex assembly but was able to learn a great many useful tips by reading this forum first. I usually take longer to think and plan than to actually do anything constructive, but as a first time woodworker I am 100% delighted with my TS 3660 - especially once I bought a different blade. I consider this whole experience a complete victory of the most rewarding kind!!!!

Last week the scary, loud, orange monster nibbled my finger, but that was because I reached in under the blade guard to retrieve a piece of waste wood thinking the blade had stopped spinning. Lesson learned: If your safety goggle lenses are covered in sawdust you better have really sharp reflexes! No permanent damage done, thank goodness. Every time I pick at the scab on my finger I am reminded of someone else's post on this forum: Confidence in my abilities is not what I want to develop in relation to my saw, rather respect.

Comment

MARIANAW24:

I have learned through experience: Whenever a scrap or piece gets lodged under the guard, shut off the saw and let the blade come to a complete stop before trying to extract it.

Not only do you never put your fingers under the guard with the saw running, also please do not try to fish out the piece with another stick of scrap. The blade can catch it and either pull your hand into the blade, or throw the scrap back into parts of your anatomy.

The time saved in not shutting the saw down is not worth the doctor bills and recovery time.

I am very happy you were not seriously hurt, and thank you for posting the hazards of what I fear is a far too common practice.

Go
                    Practicing at practical wood working

Comment

Working...
                    X