Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• TS3660 Assembly Question

Hi all,

New member and first-time poster... so I'll start off by asking a really strange question. My local HD has the TS3660 on the floor marked $469 (MSRP-$549) and I'm considering it seriously as my first ever table saw (had a Craftsman Radial Arm for 35 years and just gave it away).
    But the huge box is so heavy I literally cannot left one end of it off the floor. I'm sure it's all that cast iron (about 300 lbs. worth).

My question to current owners is this: How is that tool packaged? If I were able to get it hefted (by at least me and 2 other HD guys) up into my SUV, could I conceivably break the package down in my garage and move it piece-by-piece to the shop? I guess what I'm really asking is, can I turn a two-man project into a one-man project.

I can probably manage it if, say, the largest pre-assembled component weighs 100LB or less.

Waddya say?

Thanks.

Re: TS3660 Assembly Question

If 100lbs is your limit and there is any stairs or long distance carrying involved then I'd say you better get some help. Even if you can manage the pieces by themselves, you'll definitely need some help lifting and mounting the saw proper to the stand.
    Teach your kids about taxes..........eat 30 percent of their ice cream.

Comment

I managed to unload it by myself (in the box), but could not have loaded it myself in a Mazda3 hatchback. Yes, as long as you have the box right side up; you could break it down piece by piece in your SUV. Once you remove the wings and motor from the box, the only other really heavy piece is the main arbor/blade/table assembly. I don't know if that is less than 100 lbs or not, but you should be able to lift it at least for short distances if you are in reasonably good shape.

The only problematic assembly step for you will be to flip it upright, but you don't actually need to really lift the whole saw for that, because you can pivot. It is possible to do yourself, but having a helper for 5 minutes would be really useful.

Comment

Thanks BadgerDave and CPW. That is good information. I managed to get a Steel City Drill press into the house, assembled and uprighted by myself (laid the head/motor unit sideways on the workbench, pushed the post/base unit in and locked it down, then tipped the whole thing upright), so... IT COULD WORK!

CPW, are you saying you assembled it upside down, then flipped it upright? I suppose if I got that far, and discovered I couldn't "flip" the saw, I could probably get some help.

And now, let me completely digress. What is your opinion (if you have one) of the TS2400/2410 portable version as a Plan B option?

Comment

Originally posted by yuntrips View Post
          And now, let me completely digress. What is your opinion (if you have one) of the TS2400/2410 portable version as a Plan B option?
          It's a viable option as the TS2400/2410 is a capable table saw. However, the jobsite saws are limited in what they can do versus what the 3660 can do. If you can swing it, IMO the 3660 would be the much wiser choice of the two.

Comment

CPW, are you saying you assembled it upside down, then flipped it upright? I suppose if I got that far, and discovered I couldn't "flip" the saw, I could probably get some help.
            Yes, you put the legs on the table assembly while the table is upside down. Then you flip it over. The manual has you put the wings on like that as well, but others have found it easier to put the wings on after the saw is upright (less weight while you flip it).

I don't have the TS2410, but it is only 140 lbs. I like my big heavy saw for manipulating sheet goods.

Comment

Thanks again, guys. I've seen the light. If I buy enough Ridgid (R4121 Miter Saw) tools, I'll have to become a regular.

Comment

Hell, become a regular even if you don't buy a bunch of Ridgid tools. All viewpoints are welcome here. Don't let all the plumbing post scare you away either. Those guys took over the forum a couple of years ago and now there's now getting rid of them or that odor they brought with em.
                Last edited by BadgerDave; 11-13-2008, 07:27 PM.

Comment

Yuntrips,
                  What Badger and CPW said, re TS3650.
                  HD should load the saw for you with no effort on your part.
                  I got mine out of the back of a pick up by my self, one piece at a time, and assembled it, flipping it upright and then adding the wings. In fact that is the only reasonable way to to the job. It is a nice tool, accurate fence, quiet, and reasonably priced but after a year plus,I am ready for a cabinet saw. Just saying.... food for thought.
                  Steve.

Comment

Yuntrips

the R4121 is on sale for $249.00 now, down from the $349.00, that I paid just 6 weeks ago. Yes they gave me the lower price, when I asked them about it. I too am considering the TS 3660 but the new R4511 Hybrid should be out soon. That might be better yet, We will see.

Thanks again, guys. I've seen the light. If I buy enough Ridgid (R4121 Miter Saw) tools, I'll have to become a regular.
                    Jerry

Comment

Originally posted by BadgerDave View Post
                      Hell, become a regular even if you don't buy a bunch of Ridgid tools. All viewpoints are welcome here. Don't let all the plumbing post scare you away either. Those guys took over the forum a couple of years ago and now there's now getting rid of them or that odor they brought with em.
                      i agree with Badger Dave 100 %. this is a great place to watch, ask questions and learn lot.

Comment

When I got my 3650 I had the store put it in the hold for pickup and then I opened the box and took some parts out and had to make two trips.
                        The store is only 2 miles from my house and I had a toyota camry at the time. Worked for me and I got my grandson to help me turn it upright after installing the wings and legs.

Comment

How far from the garage to the shop? Why not unload it onto a two-wheeler and roll it in? As far as 3660 assembly goes, I'm only 5'8 and 170 lbs, but I managed to assemble everything upside down (according to the manual) and then flip the saw by myself.

BTW, if you get the 3660 saw, you may want to add a router extension on the right side. I had two previous iterations until I decided to build a variation of this beast:

http://www.woodstore.net/mosaroce.html

Once again, I had no problems disassembling the saw and moving it to its new base before reassembling.

Comment

the R4121 is on sale for $249.00 now, down from the $349.00, that I paid just 6 weeks ago. Yes they gave me the lower price, when I asked them about it. I too am considering the TS 3660 but the new R4511 Hybrid should be out soon. That might be better yet, We will see.

Thanks, Jerdebson.

I wasn't being clear. I already have the R4121. Got it at The Borg for the same $249 (why do people on other forums refer to HD as "The Borg"?). Looks like a clearance, but it's at least as good a saw as the pricier double-bevels like DeWalt, Hitachi, Bosch. So far I'm likin' it.

Yes, I've been hearing rumblings about the R4511 (including pictures). I'm somewhat space-challenged (a crowded 12 x 24), so moveability is an important factor for me. It looks nice. Seems to have a Delta-like fence, and I'm told the ripping capacity is somewhat reduced, but it possesses all the obvious benefits of a hybrid. No clue on when it's coming out, though. If we need to wait for TS3660 inventories to dwindle, it could be forever. We'll see.

Comment

Thanks to everyone for their helpful suggestions about unloading/assembling. I think the "unpack it and move it piecemeal" method works best for me. My shop is fairly close to the garage, but the route is rather circuitous and would present challenges if I tried to 2-wheeler the whole box through a couple of doorways.

Hey GRTriever, nice router table add-on. I actually built myself a router table from a very old (Issue #1) ShopNotes plan some time ago.

And yes, folks. It looks like I'll be spending a lot of time here. Thanks.

Comment

Working...
                              X