X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 110v vs 220/240

Just wondering if there are any benefits to wiring my 3650 in 240v. I'm going to be doing some reconfiguring of my garage/workshop and want to know if I should run a 240 outlet for this purpose.

thanks for the input.

Re: 110v vs 220/240

1. it uses less amperage= less hydro
    2. faster start up time (to max rpm)
    3. blade speed is constant under load (rpm does not vary)
    i changed my 3650 over to 240v a month ago, you will notice a difference, i also changed my bandsaw & bought a 240v dust extraction unit, no more 110v for me if i can help it.

Comment

Originally posted by 2yorkies View Post
      1. it uses less amperage= less hydro
      Electric is billed by the Watt-Hour not by the Amp. The saw will use half as many amps, but twice as many Volts; coming out to the same Watt-hours used and thus the same price.

Comment

If the 110 circuit you are plugging the saw into has other things drawing from it, you might notice better performance on a 220 circuit. If you have a dedicated 110 with nothing else plugged in, you will notice no difference by switching. As the previous responder noted, the amount of electrical power you use will be the same. This subject has been discussed numerous times on the WoodNet Forums.
        Joe Spear

Comment

It depends on your current electrical wiring. If you're current 110v circuit is adequate and the saw is running optimally, you probably won't see a difference. The 3650 only has a 13 amp motor which has a fairly light amp draw...a good dedicated 20 amp 110v circuit should be fine. If the lights are dimming and the saw is slow to come up to speed, a 220v might help. Otherwise, I wouldn't bother with running 220v.

Good blade selection and good alignment are likely to make more of a difference.

Comment

Working...
          X