Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Converter for using 240-wired RIDGID jointer on 110 outlets?

Hello to all:

I have a Ridgid jointer; when I bought it I was living in a house that had 220-240 outlets available, so I re-wred the jointer. I've since moved to a place where there are only 110 outlets.

I have seen products like "step-up transformers" that claim to allow the use of 220/240 volt appliances on a 110 circuit. Is what I want to do a wise idea? I'd really rather not have to re-wire the motor back to 110.

Re: Converter for using 240-wired RIDGID jointer on 110 outlets?

Originally posted by neeboy View Post
    Hello to all:

I have a Ridgid jointer; when I bought it I was living in a house that had 220-240 outlets available, so I re-wred the jointer. I've since moved to a place where there are only 110 outlets.

I have seen products like "step-up transformers" that claim to allow the use of 220/240 volt appliances on a 110 circuit. Is what I want to do a wise idea? I'd really rather not have to re-wire the motor back to 110.
    I don't know if they exist, but even if they did why would you want one?

It is free to rewire the motor. Why would you want to buy something? A transformer would only create some heat, and wouldn't do anything to improve the efficiency of the tool.

Comment

You could buy a costly step up transformer and NO the little ones for small appliances won't work. Besides the transformer you would need a private 20 Amp. 120 Volt circuit to power it. For what it's worth I would rewire the motor and change the plug on the power cord.

Power Cord -
      120 Volts: Black is hot, white is neutral and green is ground. You want to switch the black hot wire.

240 Volts: The white becomes hot #2 and really should be red color coded. You need to switch both sides of the incoming power.

Comment

be much cheaper and simpler to rewire the motor, back to 120 volt, basically the cost of a plug, if you do not all ready have one,

more than likely the wiring diagram is in the cover of the junction box on the motor,
        http://www.ridgid.com/Tools/6-18-Joi...r/EN/index.htm on the page there are links to the manual if you can not find yours, http://www.ridgid.com/ASSETS/43B3AEA...01_393_eng.pdf the wiring schematic and how to rewire it is in the manual. on page 9 of the manual, basically take off the cover to the junction box on the motor, and you should see the leads and the wire from the switch, more than like you probably will not need to touch the switch, but you will need a new plug or swap out the entire power cord with the correct plug,
        (if that is your choice and you need a cord a low cost way to get a nice cord and a molded on plug is to go buy a extension cord and cut off the receptacle end, make sure your cord is of proper wire size for the load, should be a #14 wire in the cord for the draw on the jointer).
        Push sticks/blocks Save Fingers
        ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
        "The true measure of a man is how he treats someone who can do him absolutely no good."
        attributed to Samuel Johnson
        ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
        PUBLIC NOTICE: Due to recent budget cuts, the rising cost of electricity, gas, and oil...plus the current state of the economy............the light at the end of the tunnel, has been turned off.

Comment

I actually have a transformer that does the job. I reclaimed it from a scrap pile some 25 years ago. It weighs about 50 lbs and is about a 11" cube. Used it to run my 240 only RAS until I ran 220 to the garage. You can get a 2000 watt step up for about $150 but I would just rewire as the others suggest

Comment

No one else said it, so I will.
            Why not install a 220v outlet?
            www.TheWoodCellar.com

Comment

Working...
            X