X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Making a clipboard

For xmas I want to make my wife something but am limited in terms of time. I was thinking about a jewelry box but the design I have in mind will take more time than I have (and as such will either be next years present or 5 year anniversay gift). Instead I was thinking about a clipboard since she is a teacher, she uses them all the time. I have some scraps of walnut and purpleheart that are perfect for it. My idea was to glue together some strips similiar to a long grain cutting board. But then I got to thinking that clipboards are fairly thin and with the thin strips of wood glued together I wonder how durable it would be. One idea I had was to make the pattern and thin cut some thin slices on the bandsaw and glue to substrate, veenering essentailly. Problem with this is the clipboard might be to thick if I want the pattern on each side (which I do). Thickness is probably not a huge issue but I would like to make it as thin as possible.

One other idea I had was to use solid walnut, plane down to desired thickness, cut some shallow dados and fill with strips of purpleheart and then sand it all flush. Again I feel I would compromise the durability with this method.

I got this idea when I stumbled across the hardware for a clipboard on Rocklers website. Any thoughts, comments, suggestions???

Re: Making a clipboard

I would definitely make sure that you have laminations going perpendicular to each other, like plywood. Without it, I think the clipboard will snap along the grain pretty easily (like the high chair seat in one of my project posts).

Comment

Originally posted by cpw View Post
      I would definitely make sure that you have laminations going perpendicular to each other, like plywood. Without it, I think the clipboard will snap along the grain pretty easily (like the high chair seat in one of my project posts).
      I was thinking maybe using 1/8' mdf as a substrate. Even though I dont have a drum sander I do have access to one and could sand the walnut/purpleheart veener fairly thin. Then I would need to put edging around it which might be difficult if I use the standard clipboard shape (rounder top).

I tried searching online for ideas and came up blank, maybe thats a sign I should think of something else to make.

I remember reading your post about the high chair, must have been a bummer. Was glad to read if was fixable. Thanks for the input.

Comment

Originally posted by Pez View Post
        I was thinking maybe using 1/8' mdf as a substrate. Even though I dont have a drum sander I do have access to one and could sand the walnut/purpleheart veener fairly thin. Then I would need to put edging around it which might be difficult if I use the standard clipboard shape (rounder top).
        I wouldn't use MDF, because it is so flimsy. If you put the alternating grain each ply is flimsy in one direction but not the other. You can use something cheap as the center (or if you have enough of the expensive wood use that), and then have the walnut/purpleheart the same thickness.

Bob D posted a clipboard in the project pictures a few months ago:

http://www.ridgidforum.com/forum/sho...&postcount=361

I remember reading your post about the high chair, must have been a bummer. Was glad to read if was fixable. Thanks for the input.
        I finally finished it this weekend, the solution I came up with was to use a 1/2" birch ply with red oak veneers on it. My daughter was having a ball climbing in and out of it on Friday.

Comment

Yup, was a fairly quick and easy project, and looked nice when finished.

I took a couple slices off a piece of a walnut log destined for the fireplace to make that. Each slice was about 3/8" thick I believe. I edge glued them and then planed it down to 1/4" thick. I used the clipboard hardware from Rockler too which I secured to the board with some hollow brass rivets after I had applied the finish.
          ---------------
          Light is faster than sound. That's why some people seem really bright until you hear them speak.
          ---------------
          “If I had my life to live over again, I'd be a plumber.” - Albert Einstein
          ---------
          "Its a table saw.... Do you know where your fingers are?"
          ---------
          sigpic http://www.helmetstohardhats.com/

Comment

cpw - thanks for posting the link to bob's.

bob - very nice!

Comment

I made a red ceder kayak, its 3/16" strips edge glued together, catch is it's then covered in fiberglass cloth and resin both sides.

Comment

Working...
              X