Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Drying Lumber

Hi Guys:

Hoping you guys can help out. I'm going to put my ridgid tools to a test. I have over 2000 board feet of red oak and cherry logs that i'm going to have sawed and not sure what the best method of drying and what is the best moisture content to begin furniture.

I hear air drying for a year or more is a good way. Then kiln drying is another option.

The ruff cut lumber will be used over several projects and not used all at one time. (unless my wife demands new dining room furniture hehehehe).

If i spend the money on kiln drying, i fear moisture will accumulate. I leave in Northern Canada where winters are long and cold and summers can be hot.

What is a resonable moisture content wood should be at to begin building furniture? I've been told 5-10 %.

Also, what make or model is a good moisture meter to measure the moisture content.

thanks.

Air dry one year PER INCH of thikness. In your part of the world you want it to dry to @ 6%. Sticker and stack the wood, and plane down as needed after it is dry. You may want to look into getting it into a kiln though.
    Support Our Troops!
    www.mnpatriotguard.org
    www.patriotguard.org

Comment

check some of the wood mags their are some articles on drying lumber, others may disagree but i don't think you will be happy with the lumber unless you have it dried, air drying may get it to around 15% depending on where you live wood is like a sponge and will change with the season but kiln drying will also help kill mold and insects in the wood. that said if you have that much wood and the time to do it, investigate ways to dry it yourself. then only dry a portion of it at a time its not rocket science, also ck fine woodworking i think that has a comparison of moisture meters in the current issue good luck bill

Comment

I was lucky enough to come up with some rough cut red oak recently and, after coating the ends, stacked it in my attic, which in Atlanta in the summer is about as hot as any kiln .

Not really, but it is working well so far. Hot, dry and readily available, although I would not put too much up there at any given time.

Do read up on other techniques as others have suggested. I know that once I am ready to use the wood, I will have to leave it in my shop for a couple of days to let it adjust to more normal humudity levels.

[ 05-30-2002, 01:48 PM: Message edited by: Jerry Jensen ]

Comment

thanks for your help guys

Comment

Working...
          X