X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Silicone for metal tops

I read some articals on cleaning surface rust and protecting the table from moisture to prevent rust. I have seen many adds for such products that say "Contains no silicone". Is there any reason to stay away from it? I just asked one of my suppliers for some products for my tools but they said they all have silicone.

Any help on this matter would be great!
    Are you Rapture ready? Know Jesus Christ or know his enemy!

Silicone and ployurethane do not mix. It will cause "fish eyes" to appear in your finish. I have had this happen before and it is not fun.

Comment

Originally posted by Jeff P:
      Silicone and ployurethane do not mix. It will cause "fish eyes" to appear in your finish. I have had this happen before and it is not fun.
      Thanks for the reply. So your saying there is polyurethane in the metal and the two don't mix. Huh, and I just come a sample of this expensive silicone. Do you know where I can use this silicone since I can't use it for my tools?
      Thanks!
      Are you Rapture ready? Know Jesus Christ or know his enemy!

Comment

There is no polyurethane in the metal. If you apply silicone to the metal surfaces of your tools it will rub off on the wood, then when you apply your finish (whether the finish contains polyurethane or not) the silicone will mess up your finish.
        Lorax
        "Did you put the yellow key in the switch?" TOD 01/09/06

Comment

Working...
        X