Anyone, & Everyone, please comment

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Anyone, & Everyone, please comment

Since I started my web site I have received hundreds of emails with questions, comments and suggestions. I am starting to think about the direction in which I want to take with it. I have had many wish I would do more step by step instructional projects. These are alot of work, and fun, but well worth it if many of you can learn from them. With Josh being over 1 year old now, MaMa is more available to be armed with the camera than she has been in the past year.

I am going to stay away from tool reviews all together. Instead, focus more on the direction on the use of the tools. I'm not sure what would be all involved with putting downloadable plans on the site, I will have to spend some time looking into this aspect of it. Perhaps start out by emailing plans of interest upon request. Right now I am doing several drawings in CAD for shop storage cabinets and things. I'll eventually run out of wall space and floor space (do I have any left?), and will turn to more household useful items. And with the raising of our son, plenty of items for the kids.

As I begin the thought process, I would like to hear from those interested on what you would like to see as content that would help with your woodworking journeys. I'm sure some of you are more advanced than I, but don't let that stop your ideas reaching others. Suggest away!

Send me an email to woody@woodys-workshop.com with your thoughts, ideas and desires. No thought is too small, or too large. If it's possable I will set the goal.

I am also going to focus on the non heated garage or out building shop. Meaning, if you have a spare room, or basement space, things that can be done with minimal amount of dust inside the house dwelling, rather than expensive heat in the shop during the winter months.

I basically fund everything off my meeger paycheck, wife does not work. So taking that in consideration it should put everything in reach of everyone with time to do so. I also spend 15 hours a week commute time to and from work. So this should also fit everyones life style.

What I want to stay away from is bragging rights photo's of my projects. I want to more focus on helping people solve project problems, give idea's that will fit your needs in projects. Inspire advancement in your woodworking skill and let all of you have the bragging right photo's.

Since my shop is basically a dedicated Ridgid Shop, this is where I'm asking your imput.

Thank you for giving it some thought, and ideas if you care to.
    John E. Adams<br /><a href=\"http://www.woodys-workshop.com\" target=\"_blank\">www.woodys-workshop.com</a>

Hey woody,

Watch out, if you start in this direction you may be the next guy we see on TV shows..

Jake

Comment

Well, I would need sponsers for that. With a shop full of Ridgid Machines, that kind of limits my sponsor list. Don't think Ridgid would sponser me unless if it was to "Get Lost".
      John E. Adams<br /><a href=\"http://www.woodys-workshop.com\" target=\"_blank\">www.woodys-workshop.com</a>

Comment

LOL

Get a good product, then go find some sponsors. They would replace your Ridgid tools if you were making them money. As for ridgid.. probably right.. lol

Jake

Comment

WW Jake,

No offense, but define a "Good Product".

My grandpa, remember him slightly, told me once that he could make anything with 4 tools. A square, a pencil, a hand saw, and a sanding block. He had plenty to show to back that up in his house.

I would say anyone can mess up anthing with the most expensive precission tools available without patients and dedication to detail. If you have those 2 qualities, tools are just that. Tools, reguardless of quality. (Though they do tend to reduce time!)

Bottom line: The end result can be reached in many different ways, with a variety of tools. It's the attention of patients and drive to perfection with what's at hand that makes the Craftsman.

Comment

Woody,

good product. I meant salable concept. As in build a local reputation, expand it, that type of thing. Maybe have a newsletter. Something that would appeal to the corps.

Martha Stewart Inc started out as a party planning out of her own house.

Jake

Comment

ahh, my inception of your thought was incorrect. My appologies. No one said Wood Workers were sharp, just their tools!

Comment

I have many more years in business and marketing than my short lived 7 months in woodworking.. LOL

Jake

Comment

Woody: Thanks for asking.

What I like is the plan for shop storage, cabinets, mobile bases, etc. I would especially like an emphasis on shop projects that yield useful results, AND build one's skills... especially joinery... for finer projects.

I can probably hide, or live with, my mistakes better in the garage than in the living room. Like many of us I am working in half of a two-car garage, currently living with 2x4 shelves that look like they were built by beavers on crack, so wall storage would be my top interest. Wouldn't that (and related) be a good place to learn rail & stile, M&T, etc.?

Sure, it's overkill for shop cabinetry, but what a low-risk way to learn. Pictures of techniques and jigs are always good.

A place to share CAD designs, templates, tips, and freebies would also be great... thanks for yet another resource!

Comment

How about making ind installing Inlayes.
                    Andy B.

Comment

Woody,
                      Websites are great for information on any topic, they are also another venue of advertisement.

I've been a webmaster for several years now and my advice is - if they don't pay you for the advertising space then don't put the on your site.
                      All of those logos look good but they aren't making you any money, I'd dump them unless thay want to chip in !!!

Good luck to all.
                      Jim [img]smile.gif[/img]

Comment

Jim, plans are to remove all logo's. Some of the things I had planned for the site I am not going forward with. Recovering at home today from some medical tests yesterday. Wife just informed me my cancer is no longer in remission. So life is going to change quite a bit for me again. I will have to rethink the web site situation.

Comment

Originally posted by UO_Woody:
                          Recovering at home today from some medical tests yesterday. Wife just informed me my cancer is no longer in remission. So life is going to change quite a bit for me again. I will have to rethink the web site situation.
                          Woody, the "C" word is all to familiar to me and I wish you nothing but the best. If you do the web site I will check it out, but do what's best for your yourself and family first. Again, good luck.

Comment

Wow,

Woody, sorry to hear about your "C" word. I agree take care of yourself and your family first. If you find it therapeutic to go along with the plans discussed, thats cool. If not, I'm sure everyone would rather have you happy and healthy than anything else.

Jake

Comment

Woody - so sorry to read and hear about the "C" word in your life. I've been dealing with a recurrence of it since I got back from a vacation last month myself, been on and off for 5 years... it's tough to hear of anyone having to to address it.
                              My thoughts,hopes and prayers are with you. Good luck and God Bless ..... you and your loved ones are the only things to focus on. Hang tough my friend.
                              \"NowhereMan, are you listenin\', do you know what you\'re missin\', NowhereMan....\" Fab Four

Comment

Working...
                              X