Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What's power tool is next for this amateur

Greetings all.

I have been an occasional lurker on this board for the last couple of years. I am an amateur or occasional wood worker. I picked up wood working many years ago while in high school. From time to time I have found the "need" for some furniture. So, I make it. I love the hobby that I have and am lookig to do a few thigs a bit more easily and expand my small collection of tools. I currently have a Ridgid table saw (fantastic)and a bunch of smaller tools (Routers etc....). Cabinetry is what I am most interested in and have the need for.

SO here is the question. What should be next in my arsenal? I'm leaning towards a Jointer because most of the issues I usually run into is in glueing up S4S from the big stores or trying to get smooth edges on material from other sources.
    I also think that the Ridgid jointer is the best bang for the buck.

Other options are a band saw, planer(although to me this doesn't make much sense until I have a jointer), Lathe (I like turning as well), and drill press.

At any rate, before I plunk down the 350 for the Jointer, I thought I'd get some opinions.

TIA,
    Steve

[ 11-13-2005, 03:13 PM: Message edited by: SteveA(MD) ]
    “If there must be trouble, let it be in my day, that my child may have peace” - Thomas Paine

For predominatly cabinetry work you should look into buying or building a high quality router table. This would allow for better and faster joinery and raised panels. As for machines, I would suggest a planer next. You can save quite a bit of money with buying rough cut and even with Box store S4S you can plane down to thicknesses less than 3/4. Jointing can very easily be done on a router table or even with a straight edge and hand held router. I know most will disagree with me but thats my opinion and I'm sticking to it.
    info for all: http://www.hoistman.com http://www.freeyabb.com/phpbb/index....wwtoolinfoforu --- "I like long walks, especially when they are taken by people who annoy me."

Comment

My jointer, planer, and TS are the three machines I use to mill my stock right at the beginning of a project. They're a great trio, but if I couldn't get the jointer and planer at the same time, I'd get the planer first. I use a jointer for flattening and squaring two adjacent surfaces, and a planer to bring it to final thickness and to make the opposite face parallel to the one I flattened on the jointer. It's difficult to use a jointer to plane to final thickness, but a planer can do some flattening with a sled a few tricks, then you can always edge joint with a router or the TS with some tricks. I still think ultimately the jointer and planer in tandem is the way to go, but the planer only is better than the jointer only IMHO.

[ 11-13-2005, 09:14 PM: Message edited by: hewood ]

Comment

Working...
      X