Need a Particle Board cleaner

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Need a Particle Board cleaner

I manage 26 apartments and brought the complex out of slum conditions.
    Each time a family moves, I redo the apartment from top to bottom - ranges, plumbing fixtures, dishwashers, even windows. I only have 5 apartments left to renovate.

However, my current problem is: how do I clean the particle board cabinets without destroying the wood?

I am currently renovating an apartment that looks like it was occupied by farm animals - if you get my meaning. Took a lot of elbow grease to get it up to speed, but I've never encountered such filthy kitchen cabinets! The goo just won't come off no matter what cleaner I use.

After reading some other threads, I'm getting the idea that guys use mineral spirits on some wood. Would mineral spirits work to clean up the particle board of grime and goo? Replacing the cabinets is not an option.
    If it ain't broke, I haven't seen it.

Re: Need a Particle Board cleaner

I assume you mean the carcas is made of PB and then has been covered, probably with some kind of contact paper or thin veneer. A glued on picture of wood if you will.

I would go as easy on any liquid cleaner as possible. Once it soaks through the veneer and into the PB it may be lights out for the PB depending on the quality.

That said, mineral spirits and elbow grease would be my first choice. Also a single edged razor blade for scraping and corners. Then maybe repaint the cabinets. This includes using some Kilz as a primer. My goal in cleaning them (if they are as bad as you describe, and I've seen such) would be more to get them smooth to accept the Kilz primer and then paint them white (off white maybe) on the inside and a neutral color on the outside.

If if veneer lifts or peels, you will have to glue it down or patch (bondo?) so that you get a level surface again.

Good luck!

Comment

Thanks for the reply, rw. I've never cleaned household fixtures with mineral spirits. Used to use it when I was doing automotive repair, but havent' touched it in years.

The veneer on the exterior is fine, just really dirty. Using scrapers and Goo Gone, which are doing the job nicely.

But, that old cheap particle board shelving is my nightmare. Where there was contact paper, a lot of filth accumulated beneath it. It's really discouraging to see this mess - and disgusting. But, fortunately, this is one of the remaining 4 out of 26 apartments that I hadn't yet renovated.

Phew! Almost through them all!

Comment

On the shelving can you cut some new shelving. the cost of a new piece of particle board would probably be cheaper, than the time being used to clean it.

if the particle board has not been finished, the paint thinner may just push the dirt in deeper but if it is grease and wax getting it off, would be good and paint thinner will probably work. it will clean and raise the grain of the wood like water would.

Paint may be an answer as well. and if there is any odor, If oil paint is used the paint smell would smell clean or new.
        Push sticks/blocks Save Fingers
        ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
        "The true measure of a man is how he treats someone who can do him absolutely no good."
        attributed to Samuel Johnson
        ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
        PUBLIC NOTICE: Due to recent budget cuts, the rising cost of electricity, gas, and oil...plus the current state of the economy............the light at the end of the tunnel, has been turned off.

Comment

Thanks for the help.

I went ahead and tried the paint thinner. Still having a tough time.

I told my painter not to paint the cabinets because the junk was too thick on the shelving. I'm not handy enough to feel confident about tearing out the shelves. If it had been less grimy, I would have just let the painter spray the cabinets. This is the worst mess I've run into yet.

However, I just bumped into something on my chemicals shelf in my garage that worked wonders. Turtle Wax Bug and Tar Remover. It dissolved the greasy mess and loosened the lumps of dried food. And, as a bonus, besides not soaking into the particle board, it left a nice waxed surface that looks great.

I really appreciate your help. And, I've got lots of other uses for the mineral spirits.

Comment

I know you've got a mess that you are trying to clean up and also to do the right thing in doing so, but be careful you think through the chemicals you are using.

I have found that with a little searching it is fairly easy to find the MSDS sheet for most chemicals. Why? Because multiple laws saw that manufacturers must make them available to people who use them, and manufacturers have found that making this information available for free on the INTERNET is a cost effective method to help them achieve this requirement.

http://www.turtlewax.com/res/msds/T520.pdf

So what the heck is in there?

COMPONENT CAS NUMBER CONCENTRATION (wt %)
            Petroleum Distillates 8052-41-3 20-25%
            (Stoddard Solvent)
            Petroleum Distillates 64742-47-8 7-10%
            (Hydrotreated Light Distillate Solvent)
            Methyl Alcohol 67-56-1 1-3%
            (Methanol)
            Ethylene Glycol Mono Butyl Ether 111-76-2 1-3%

Don't just think about your health and safety when using the product, consider what/if there will be any residual effect on the area where you used and what that area might be used for, in this case to store food or items that people will prepare and eat food from.

SPECIAL FIRE FIGHTING PROCEDURES:
            Treat as flammable liquid / vapor fire. Keep un-ignited containers cool with water. Vapors are heavier than air, may collect in low areas, and may travel to distant source of ignition and flash back. Avoid flow of molten liquid into sewers. See section 8 for personal protection.

HAZARDS IDENTIFICATION
            POTENTIAL HEALTH EFFECTS
            INHALATION:
            Repeated or excessive inhalation of vapor can cause irritation, dizziness, and nausea. No chronic effects known.

INGESTION:
            Causes digestive system upsets, dizziness, nausea, and may cause chemical pneumonia, which may be fatal, if sucked into lungs. No chronic effects known.

SKIN CONTACT:
            Repeated or excessive contact can cause moderate irritation, de-fatting or dermatitis. No chronic effects known.

EYE CONTACT: Causes irritation. No chronic effects known.

EXPOSURE CONTROLS/PERSONAL PROTECTION
            EYE PROTECTION REQUIREMENTS:
            Wear goggles. Have convenient eye wash stations.

SKIN PROTECTION REQUIREMENTS:
            Wear solvent resistant gloves and other clothing as needed to prevent exposure.

RESPIRATOR/VENTILATION PROTECTION REQUIREMENTS:
            Provide sufficient ventilation to avoid exposure levels above the established TLV.

INGESTION PROTECTION REQUIREMENTS:
            Avoid swallowing or sucking into lungs.

EXPOSURE LIMITS: Not established for product as whole.
            Last edited by Bob D.; 11-23-2008, 06:32 PM.
            "It's a table saw, do you know where your fingers are?" Bob D. 2006

https://www.youtube.com/user/PowerToolInstitute

Comment

Thanks, Bob for the heads-up on MSDS.

I read it and it seems that it's low enough VOC to use safely the way I used it. What I did is I put the cleaner on the surface I was cleaning. I then scrubbed using a wet sponge. Then, I wiped off all residue possible.

I just went back to the apartment and there was no lingering odor of the cleaner. The surfaces are now dry and clean.

Your suggestion got me to looking at the MSDS sheets on the other cleaners I use. I primarily use Zep products, purchased at Home Depot. The VOC for those cleaners is similar to the bug and tar remover- of course, different chemical formulae. Most have petroleum products in them.

I feel, after reading the MSDS sheet, that the danger would be from the wet product. Rinsing it thoroughly from the surface reduces the danger to the end user, it seems.

I'd really be interested to know if you agree with me on how I worked with the product. Do you still have concerns?

It's amazing how many petroleum products are on the market today.

Thanks again for the heads-up.

A BTW: One ingredient that scares me is Benzene. Boy, is that toxic. And, they put it in pharmaceutical products. Benzene has a 0.00 ppm level of safety. I was given a prescription by a doctor for Bexxtra. I ended up paralyzed, curled in a fetal position for about 15 minutes from that junk. Thank God they took that off the market.
              Last edited by OnTheJob; 11-23-2008, 09:47 PM.

Comment

Most of the petroleum solvents, such as Stoddard solvent. naptha as well as mineral spirits are considered "food safe" after they have evaporated off. They are the standard solvents for most coatings. Just be careful when working with them and ventilate the apartments until after the fumes are gone, and they should pose no further health hazards.

For future consideration, some citrus based cleaners work well for greasy stuff and glue residue. Other items for glue residue are naptha and DNA (denatured alcohol). Both work well on grease, but not soil, for which detergent is better. The alcohol and Naptha are more flammable than mineral spirits, but do not leave as lingering an odor if you need to do a faster turn-around. May want a respirator with both, with naptha being the more toxic from a permanent affect nature.

Go
                Practicing at practical wood working

Comment

Originally posted by Gofor View Post
                  Most of the petroleum solvents, such as Stoddard solvent. naptha as well as mineral spirits are considered "food safe" after they have evaporated off. They are the standard solvents for most coatings. Just be careful when working with them and ventilate the apartments until after the fumes are gone, and they should pose no further health hazards.

For future consideration, some citrus based cleaners work well for greasy stuff and glue residue. Other items for glue residue are naptha and DNA (denatured alcohol). Both work well on grease, but not soil, for which detergent is better. The alcohol and Naptha are more flammable than mineral spirits, but do not leave as lingering an odor if you need to do a faster turn-around. May want a respirator with both, with naptha being the more toxic from a permanent affect nature.

Go
                  I did try the citrus cleaners, too. One of them is the Zep Heavy Duty Citrus Degreaser. Works good on most grease, even caked-on grease. But it wouldn't even touch this crap that was on the cabinet shelving. I actually had to scrape it with a putty knife and it rolled off in sheet. GEEZ.

Zep had a product which they recently pulled off the market, I think it was Formula 507 - had a silver label. That would have worked, I bet. But can't get it anymore. Unfortunately, the gallon I had purchased I gave to the guys who cleaned our parking lot just cuz it was on my shelf and they needed more cleaner. Dang.

I've got lots of experience cleaning stuff, but it's pretty bad when I find it necessary to ask for help on what to use. And, I do appreciate your information. Thank you.

Comment

You can always make your own citrus cleaner. Some white vinegar and lemon juice are what you need. Be extremely careful using vinegar with other products, as it can produce some unwanted side-effects. It's safer than just about everything else, though. Don't mix it with bleach, ever! You can usually add lemon juice to just about anything and it instantly becomes a "citrus" cleaner. Lemon is the best since it's highly acidic and works very well on grease by itself.
                    I put it all back together better than before. There\'s lots of leftover parts.

Comment

Working...
                    X