Announcement

Announcement Module
Collapse
No announcement yet.

Which dado set?

Page Title Module
Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Which dado set?

    Which is the best bang for the buck for a stacked ,carbide dado set for under $100? I searched the forum here and didn't find anything on this. I did search web and are so many choices that I need some help from some experts here. Also, 6in. or 8in? How deep will 6in. cut? I am running a Ridgid TS3660 saw. BTW a very fine saw for the price compared to my OLD craftsman. Kind of looking at Freud SD208 set that HD evidently sells for around $94. Good reviews on Amazon. Any suggestions on blade sets? Thanks triker

  • #2
    Re: Which dado set?

    The freud is a good set but unless you are going to make very deep cuts the 6 is fine and is a little easier on the saw.

    Comment


    • #3
      Re: Which dado set?

      The Freud SD208 is a decent entry level set, but after switching from the SD208 to the DeWalt DW7670 with twice as many teeth, I can honestly say that the DW leaves a smoother cut and is easier to spin. It also has a nicer carrying case and better shim stock. It's on sale from Grizzly for $90 plus s/h.

      Comment


      • #4
        Re: Which dado set?

        Originally posted by hewood View Post
        The Freud SD208 is a decent entry level set, but after switching from the SD208 to the DeWalt DW7670 with twice as many teeth, I can honestly say that the DW leaves a smoother cut and is easier to spin. It also has a nicer carrying case and better shim stock. It's on sale from Grizzly for $90 plus s/h.
        I don't have that set, but saw that it comes with a 3/32" chipper, which is big a plus in my book. I wish the SD206 had one of those, it would make it easier to do the setup for plywood without screwing around with shims.

        Comment


        • #5
          Re: Which dado set?

          Thanks for the info guys. I just now ordered the Dewalt DW7670 that hewood mentioned to be on sale for 89.95. They regular 149.95 at Grizzly. They look like a pretty good set for the price. triker

          Comment


          • #6
            Re: Which dado set?

            I have the Freud SD608. No shims needed!

            Comment


            • #7
              Re: Which dado set?

              Originally posted by triker View Post
              Thanks for the info guys. I just now ordered the Dewalt DW7670 that hewood mentioned to be on sale for 89.95. They regular 149.95 at Grizzly. They look like a pretty good set for the price. triker
              I was pretty impressed with this set triker....I still miss the case and the shims. I went from that to a 42T/6T Systimatic that sells for $300, and then to the $200 Infinity Dadonator, which are both top of the line sets....the Dadonator is a amazing but the DW set doesn't give up much to them. Enjoy...

              Comment


              • #8
                Re: Which dado set?

                Thanks hewood, it's supposed to be delivered by UPS on dec 1. Will have to set up my ZCI for it, then be ready to go. Had a steel set, but ZCI instructions said "not recommended for steel" so figured better just get a carbide set and give other to son who has my old saw. triker

                Comment


                • #9
                  Re: Which dado set?

                  I bought an eight inch dado set from Rockler for $89.99 that was made by Oshlun. The chipper blades are full size with 6 teeth instead of just having two teeth like most other dado sets I've used or seen. It cuts super clean and accurate!! Here's a picture of the set.
                  Michael

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Re: Which dado set?

                    looks good

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Re: Which dado set?

                      I just ordered the Oshlun 6". (will never use the 8") Was very pleased with the reviews.
                      Best price/service was at:

                      https://www.holbren.com/product.php?...cat=673&page=1
                      for the 8"
                      and
                      https://www.holbren.com/product.php?...cat=673&page=1
                      for the 6"

                      Then there is always Amazon too!

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Re: Which dado set?

                        Originally posted by Altima 3.5 View Post
                        I just ordered the Oshlun 6". (will never use the 8") Was very pleased with the reviews.
                        Best price/service was at:

                        https://www.holbren.com/product.php?...cat=673&page=1
                        for the 8"
                        and
                        https://www.holbren.com/product.php?...cat=673&page=1
                        for the 6"

                        Then there is always Amazon too!
                        My dealings with Holbren have been excellent, and I read frequent comments that others get treated the same way. Holbren offers a 10% discount to members of a few prominent websites....code "SMC10", "woodnet10", or "BT310".

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Re: Which dado set?

                          That's correct! I belong/contribute to SMC and they do offer a discount to SMC users.

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            Re: Which dado set?

                            Originally posted by triker View Post
                            Also, 6in. or 8in? How deep will 6in. cut?
                            I have the SD206 Freud and am totally happy with it.
                            Personally I can't imagine worrying about how deep a cut can be made unless you have something in mind other than dados.
                            Do like you always do,,,,,,Get what you always get!!

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              Re: Which dado set?

                              ive got the dd208 (home depots version of the sd208) and it seems nice but i havent gotten a chance to try it out yet

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X