X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Which dado set?

Which is the best bang for the buck for a stacked ,carbide dado set for under $100? I searched the forum here and didn't find anything on this. I did search web and are so many choices that I need some help from some experts here. Also, 6in. or 8in? How deep will 6in. cut? I am running a Ridgid TS3660 saw. BTW a very fine saw for the price compared to my OLD craftsman. Kind of looking at Freud SD208 set that HD evidently sells for around $94. Good reviews on Amazon. Any suggestions on blade sets? Thanks triker

Re: Which dado set?

The freud is a good set but unless you are going to make very deep cuts the 6 is fine and is a little easier on the saw.

Comment

The Freud SD208 is a decent entry level set, but after switching from the SD208 to the DeWalt DW7670 with twice as many teeth, I can honestly say that the DW leaves a smoother cut and is easier to spin. It also has a nicer carrying case and better shim stock. It's on sale from Grizzly for $90 plus s/h.

Comment

Originally posted by hewood View Post
        The Freud SD208 is a decent entry level set, but after switching from the SD208 to the DeWalt DW7670 with twice as many teeth, I can honestly say that the DW leaves a smoother cut and is easier to spin. It also has a nicer carrying case and better shim stock. It's on sale from Grizzly for $90 plus s/h.
        I don't have that set, but saw that it comes with a 3/32" chipper, which is big a plus in my book. I wish the SD206 had one of those, it would make it easier to do the setup for plywood without screwing around with shims.

Comment

Thanks for the info guys. I just now ordered the Dewalt DW7670 that hewood mentioned to be on sale for 89.95. They regular 149.95 at Grizzly. They look like a pretty good set for the price. triker

Comment

I have the Freud SD608. No shims needed!

Comment

Originally posted by triker View Post
              Thanks for the info guys. I just now ordered the Dewalt DW7670 that hewood mentioned to be on sale for 89.95. They regular 149.95 at Grizzly. They look like a pretty good set for the price. triker
              I was pretty impressed with this set triker....I still miss the case and the shims. I went from that to a 42T/6T Systimatic that sells for $300, and then to the $200 Infinity Dadonator, which are both top of the line sets....the Dadonator is a amazing but the DW set doesn't give up much to them. Enjoy...

Comment

Thanks hewood, it's supposed to be delivered by UPS on dec 1. Will have to set up my ZCI for it, then be ready to go. Had a steel set, but ZCI instructions said "not recommended for steel" so figured better just get a carbide set and give other to son who has my old saw. triker

Comment

I bought an eight inch dado set from Rockler for $89.99 that was made by Oshlun. The chipper blades are full size with 6 teeth instead of just having two teeth like most other dado sets I've used or seen. It cuts super clean and accurate!! Here's a picture of the set.
                  Michael

Comment

looks good

Comment

I just ordered the Oshlun 6". (will never use the 8") Was very pleased with the reviews.
                      Best price/service was at:

https://www.holbren.com/product.php?...cat=673&page=1
                      for the 8"
                      and
                      for the 6"

Then there is always Amazon too!

Comment

Originally posted by Altima 3.5 View Post
                        I just ordered the Oshlun 6". (will never use the 8") Was very pleased with the reviews.
                        Best price/service was at:

for the 8"
                        and
                        for the 6"

Then there is always Amazon too!
                        My dealings with Holbren have been excellent, and I read frequent comments that others get treated the same way. Holbren offers a 10% discount to members of a few prominent websites....code "SMC10", "woodnet10", or "BT310".

Comment

That's correct! I belong/contribute to SMC and they do offer a discount to SMC users.

Comment

Originally posted by triker View Post
                            Also, 6in. or 8in? How deep will 6in. cut?
                            I have the SD206 Freud and am totally happy with it.
                            Personally I can't imagine worrying about how deep a cut can be made unless you have something in mind other than dados.
                            Do like you always do,,,,,,Get what you always get!!

Comment

ive got the dd208 (home depots version of the sd208) and it seems nice but i havent gotten a chance to try it out yet

Comment

Working...
                              X