Modern Wood Screws

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Modern Wood Screws

The design of the modern exterior wood screw is much different than the "old" wood screw that I grew up. In cabinet making, etc., are there new wood screws being made that are more like the exterior style? (The exterior style would seem to have less of a chance of splitting wood, etc, since they aren't tapered.

(Now that's a newbie question!)

Re: Modern Wood Screws

If you get a chance to check out McFeely's Catalog, do so. It has the best explanation of screw types, uses, designs, threads, etc. I got in on a deal from them (thousands of screws with boxes) last year and still have probably 100lb of screws. I like the Robertson/square head design. The handy self-drilling screw shaft is pretty neat, although it's only somewhat useful. I still pre-drill where it's critically important. You can look through http://www.mcfeelys.com for information, and request a catalog there.

Screws have changed lots, go figure! I had no idea there was so much engineering dedicated to such a simple thing. I love all the new choices and types, but it can get kinda confusing. At least the McFeely's catalog explains everything.
    I put it all back together better than before. There\'s lots of leftover parts.

Comment

Wow! Who knew that we had so many choices!! Thanks for directing me to McFeely's.

Comment

Originally posted by MGedge View Post
        Wow! Who knew that we had so many choices!! Thanks for directing me to McFeely's.
        If you don't want to order from McFeely's and pay the shipping, but do have another order from Rockler or the like you can pick up some square drive or pocket hole screws. They are made of much better metal than HD screws, and the square drive head won't strip out. Whenever I screw temporary jigs together (e.g., putting in a temporary stop block) I use these now, because I can reuse the screw more than once. Also the pocket hole screws are self tapping, so you don't need to worry about pre-drilling; which I hate doing.

Comment

Wow.....I'm surprised you guys like the Robertson type screw - seems most of the U.S. stuff I've seen is Phillips.

You're right though, the Robertson is not as prone to stripping as the Phillips, although are the screwdrivers/bits hard to find in the U.S.?

Reason I ask is, I bought a Milwaukee bit set couple of years ago and there wasn't a Roberson bit in the set. Not surprising, considering it is a Canadian invention, but surprising to find enthusiastic users in the U.S. nonetheless.
          I'm on "The List" and I love it!!

Comment

The Robertson's are great. Everyone hates Philips heads stripping out; the problem is that you don't know that there is something better. The manual square driver I have is a Husky one from Home Depot with interchangeable bits, before I even knew about square drive. Rockler and other woodworking places have square drive bits for drills/impacts.

Comment

Yup, for decks especially, you can't beat the Roberson. Paulin makes most of the stuff at HD, and it's all Robertson. I find you gotta be careful with your bits - when they get rounded after much use, you can strip the screw very easy. Matter of fact, I gotta get some new Number 2 bits.

Used about 4000 deck screws this summer alone..........
              I'm on "The List" and I love it!!

Comment

I was going to suggest McFeelys but got beat to it!

Been using their cabinet screws for years and they don't break! (well, I did break one about 4 years ago going into Hard Maple without predrilling!LOL).

They have great screws and the shipping is very reasonable. Order up some bits too and a handy dandy magnetic tape measure holder too! Great little goody!

Mark
                Congratulations to Mr. "the sky is falling" Al Gore, nominated the new Village Idiot!

Comment

Yes, pocket screws, many reuses for them, with or without the pockets. And yes, square drive beats everything else I have seen or used, including allen and torx. The square just is, everthing else was.......
                  Steve.

Comment

Working...
                  X