Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I have a question to keep some of you experts going on this subject:

I have a garage shop.
    For Christmas i got a DeWalt jigsaw - seems like a very very good one.
    I think that the only thing that I am missing from my small one side of a two car garage shop is a planner, a jointer and a bandsaw.
    my question is - should I buy a cheap 9 inch band saw or do I need a 14 inch? I plan on doing all kinds of wood working but mostly that means cutting curves in nothing more then 4 x 4's
    I am not that interested in resawing anything larger then 1inch for banding plywood.
    I know that I should get the best quality saw but is a 14inch bandsaw overkill? Should I get a band saw at all if I buy commercial banding and just
    Use my nice new DeWalt jigsaw?

Thanks

Mick
    Mick Chambers<br />Keller TX<br />buyukan@yahoo.ca

Comment

Mick,
      I too have a garage shop, I have the same jigsaw and I also have the BS1400. The jigsaw only sees duty if I can't easily & safely get the workpiece to the BS. If you've already got your TS then use the jig saw for your needs, and focus on the jointer & the planer. You'll find yourself wanting them before you'll be dissatisfied with your abillity to make the jigsaw work for your projects. I own the RIDGID models but was fortunate to be in the right place & time when the tool corral manager wanted to make a deal to get rid of some "Old Gray" stock. I've heard many good things about a cast iron benchtop planer being sold by sears, (think it's a delta), for around $250 and 100+# = solid!
      There's no less expensive option for a thickness planer though so you'll want to asses your needs vs your funds. I like my RIDGID but wonder about the difference three knives & two speeds would make?? Dewalt & Delta reign in this arena.

Now if it was only a bit warmer in the shop & I could just get some damnned time to play with my tools!!!

Happy New Year!

Comment

At one time, Sears issued specifications for its tools and used a variety of manufacturers to make tools to those specifications. Often, a manufacturer's existing product would meet spec and would be simply retooled with the proper colors and Craftsman nameplate. However, there were many occasions when a particular tool was exclusively manufactured by one of these companies to meet the specifications required by Sears. The same is true of just about everything bearing the Craftsman, Kenmore, and other Sear's namebrands. To my knowledge, Sears itself never owned any kind of manufacturing facility.

However, competition and the quest to maintain the "bottom line" has led Sears to evolve to a point where they now rely more on existing products from manufacturers. Often additional features or requirements are still part of the Craftsman goal, but being competitive is an overwhelming challenge and my personal thoughts are that Craftsman quality and reputation as suffered substantially in the last decade or so.

With regard to the question of buying a 9-inch bandsaw over a 14-inch, that largely depends on what you need to do. I have the little Ryobi BS902 and it is a great learning tool and works quite well for making trim, shop jigs, toys, and other small items. For $87, I have absolutely no complaints at all. However, I believe 4 x 4 stock was mentioned and that is the maximum capacity (cutting depth) of the "902" and I believe some other brands have less cutting depth. Either way, that is probably too large a cut for the small motor and a 14-inch would probably be a much better choice IMHO.

CWS

Comment

I don't know? I am not sure that I haven’t already sold myself on the idea of buying a bandsaw.
          I have $200 worth of HD cards that I have to use anyway.
          I am afraid that here in Texas, wood is not readily available so I end up with pine, Ash or red oak and they are always finished. So what is the purpose of a planer or jointer? When I glue boards together I usually use my router to joint the edges first. I can joint up to 2 inches on the router table. The Planer I can see using on small table tops (<12inches wide) put wouldn't a $60 electric hand planer do that same work on whatever size top I need?
          Sorry about all these questions but it is Christmas time and there are lots of us that got gift cards from HD this year
          BTW if you are in Texas and can prove me wrong about getting some nice wood like maple or white oak please fire away.
          ...ahh to be in Canada again where HD stocks maple. But then again I was working in a short sleeve shirt in my garage this weekend.

Oh yea if you are interested here are some picks of a few projects I have done in the last 2 months:
          http://homepage.mac.com/mel.chambers...toAlbum38.html

Please no laughing out loud - I am a beginner!

Mick

Comment

I have the same questions too about the purpose of a planer and a jointer. Can't you joint things using a router?

BTW, I really like the stuff you made Mick. I'm gonna go try to make a couch table sometime soon

Comment

Axio,
              thanks! before you make any sort of table, do yourself a favor and get the full pocket hole jig set from Lowes and lots of screws.
              What a great way to cheat at woodworking!
              oh, if you don't have an electric drill - which I didn't have, you need one that is fast. The low end ridged drill is a great tool.
              - send pictures when you make something! It seems that we all talk about making stuff but I hardly ever see it - but when I do it is usually awesome. I would love to see more pictures of what people make for inspiration.

TTFN

Mc

Comment

What's a pocket hole jig?

Comment

Mick, unfortunatly you are right. Paxtons or Rockler are about the only places close by to get good wood. But it is not cheap.
                  I have been looking for a supplier around here for some time. I can get some nice cedar from down around Tyler but that is all I have found so far. If I find any better sources I'll let you know.
                  Jeff

Comment

Here is another Craftsman rewrap, this time of a router. I believe their new model 26620 is the Bosch 1617EVS.

Comment

"I have the same questions too about the purpose of a planer and a jointer. Can't you joint things using a router?"

Yep, & you can dig a hole with a spoon too it's just gonna take more effort, and you'll be limited to around about 1" thick so it's mostly only aplicable to edge jointing for panel glue-ups. When it comes time to size your own lumber, it's cheaper, easier, and quite satisfying to know for SURE!, that your stock is the thickness you expect & dead-nuts square.

I started this addictive hobby, with just a Makita circular saw & a Skil 9.6v screwgun, slowly adding tools when my skills justified the proper tools. The up side is you'll become a better woodworker learning how to adapt the tools and sized stock to fit your visions, but the down side is you'll be kinda pissed the first time you zip a board through the jointer compared to mounting the router into the table, chucking up a straight bit,shimming the out feed fence, isolating the bearing, running a test cut & THEN jointing the board..

Hope this helps a bit, search any of the tool sites for pocket hole jig & you'll see a picture of what they are. Usefull for concealed joints, or can be plugged.

Take a spin through the Taunton Press' web site for a GREAT resource of wood information too

Comment

Chefhdan, thanks for bringing back that memory, I had forgotten how much of a PITA is was to joint with my 8 amp craftsman 1/4" router and 18" X 12" craftsman table (even has HSS bits). I think I will go out and hug my 6" delta

Comment

You Betcha!!!

Ever use a 18" Rockwell???

OOOOHHH goosebumps

Comment

Are you guys talking about the biscuit joiners like these?

Craftsman Biscuit Joiner

Comment

surface joinTers not joiners!

Comment

Oh I see... I just checked out the one on the Ridgid site. That looks too big and too pricey for me I'm just a rookie.

Are biscuit joiners any good btw, or will routers be fine? Can't I also just use a drill and dowels instead of a biscuit joiner.

Comment

Working...
                                X