Craftsman or Ryobi?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

AXIO,

Take a breath...First of all welcome to the addiction.

It keeps me sane, can't count the number of times I've visualized a catering salesperson, or shoemaker cook being zipped through my planer!

There are as many ways to join wood as there are to skin a cat & I started in a Chinese restaurant so trust me you can skin a cat ALOT of different ways.
    A great contributor & poster over at woodworking.com has a sig line of "It's not the arrows it's the Indians.

That's a great bit of advice in this hobby because there are all sorts of gadgets, gimicks, and contraptions that vendors are more than happy to take your cash for. I didn't sink serious cash into my tool inventory until eight years of practice gave me the confidence to know how the tools should be used as well as that I could verify need exceeding want.

Most initial projects can be done with dimensional lumber from BORG and you can gain experience from conception to completion.

Go slow, use the books and knowledge that can be gained from the experience of others to aid in the development of core skills.

For me I just read a tutorial from an AWESOME WWer on TS cut dovetails, I've never cut a dovetail, & I'm not in the market for an expensive jig right now, but the basic facts gained over the net have me willing to build another box, if only to practice a SKILL!

What have you got for tools so far??
    Like I said you can do a whole hell of alot with just a screw gun & a circ saw.

Comment

Thanks for the advise. I'll just use what I have for now, and pick up a router and jig saw later today. The only woodworking tools I have are really just a basic Craftsman circular saw I used to the do Pergo flooring for my kitchen in my townhouse, which also limits my space as well being in a townhouse since I don't have a yard to store extra wood, etc. My garage is a tandem style two car garage in which my Prelude and my girlfriend's Accord park, and I have this section in the very back of it where I keep all my tools in this workbench, and a Craftsman standing garage tool chest (well, the top portion of one anyways). Most of my tools are automotive related as that used to be my hobby, but it has become too expensive to take any further.

I understand that I'm not a contractor, so I probably don't need contractor-grade tools, but I'd like to buy some decent wood-working tools to make simple things. The only contractor-work related things I've done are the pergo flooring and moldings, painting, and cutting/laying tiles at my parent's rental house (which a contractor later commented on saying that I did a pretty nice job hehe). I work from 5:30 am to around 1:30 pm and sometimes up until 5:30 pm doing financial analysis/accounting at this job I just hate that doesn't pay very much at all and kinda wastes my UC Berkeley degree. On the days that I'm lucky enough to get out of work by 1:30, I have a whole lot of time on my hands with nothing to do... so I just wanted to maybe start building things for our place. A bookshelf was on the top of my list, as well as something like that tall end-table that Mick made, and maybe a coffee table for a friend assuming I'd get enough practice and be able to make something worth giving away. I mostly want to do this as you've said, to keep your sanity. When I worked on cars, it kinda puts you at peace, and I think that this new hobby will do the same.

It kinda makes me wish I didn't get that Ridgid Stinger and opted for the larger 6 gallon Ridget wet/dry vac instead if I'm gonna be cutting wood in my garage now... not sure if the Stinger is up for the job.

[ 12-31-2004, 09:39 AM: Message edited by: axio ]

Comment

Originally posted by Mick:
        Axio,
        thanks! before you make any sort of table, do yourself a favor and get the full pocket hole jig set from Lowes and lots of screws.
        What a great way to cheat at woodworking!
        oh, if you don't have an electric drill - which I didn't have, you need one that is fast. The low end ridged drill is a great tool.
        - send pictures when you make something! It seems that we all talk about making stuff but I hardly ever see it - but when I do it is usually awesome. I would love to see more pictures of what people make for inspiration.

TTFN

Mc
        Hi Mick, what does the full pocket hole jig set do? Do I need any kinda tool that it hooks up with?

Comment

I think there is a topic just like this on Tool Info Forum. Check that out for more info.

Comment

Yeah I posted that one too because there are some people on that forum that aren't members here.
            <a href=\"http://www.freewebs.com/buctooth\" target=\"_blank\">www.freewebs.com/buctooth</a><br />Please tell us how you like the site, even if you hate it. If you want, feel free to visit the forum.

Comment

Working...
            X