Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Warranty changed on me??

Changing warranty???

I have a 3612 TS that I bought in 2002 when they had lifetime warranties. I recently had need to have the wings replaced and did so under warranty. I just happened to be looking at the N/C reciept I was given and it says that all replacement parts now only have a 90 day warranty against defects. Now, I can see that the wings that were replaced should not go bad, but what would happen with other parts that may go bad that have been replaced. For example, a fence, or motor. How can the warranty be changed midstream??

-I haven't had any of these replaced, but if I do and the motor goes bad 6 months or year later, it should be covered.

I don't have a personal problem with that concept. I think that the original warranty was fulfilled when they replaced the original defective parts. I think that industry in general does the same thing. Look at your car, if your have a water pump replaced just before the car goes out of warranty and then the new water pump fails a year later, would the dealer replace it again for free? I think not. If you need a new motor on your washer a month before the warranty ends and get a replacement and it fails after 6 months, would you get another new motor? I think not. You may get a 30 or even a 60 day warranty on the new part but not much more.

I'm retired and work for no industry so I have no bias for or against industry fulfilling warranties but I think that rationally, they have fulfilled your warranty.

gator

[ 02-12-2004, 10:39 AM: Message edited by: gator ]

Comment

Mike----in fairness, I remember making a comment, when people were all excited about the original liftetime warranty-----"what if the company goes out of business?" ----Should have also added, what if they sell/transfer the line of tools?

Yes, technically, they furfilled their agreement, but they certainly didn't follow the "intent" or "impression" you would naturally get from having a lifetime warranty. I wonder if the same thing is going to happen the first time someone replaces a cordless battery----is the new battery only warranted for 90 days?

Gator----have to disagree. There are still plenty of warranties on mfgs. defects that are much, much longer than 90 days. Most drivetrains on cars have long defect warranties.
      Dave

Comment

Gator,

I respectfully have to disagree with your stance in one area. Your example inferred that before a warrranty was expiring and issuing a new warranty. This does not apply to the original Ridgid warranty b/c it does not have an expiration date. By replacing with a 90 day window, it's significantly altering the original warranty.

As to the batteries on the cordless tools. It wasn't enough to pry me off my chair and buy them but I hope for the sake of integrity that they do honor that lifetime battery promise. Too many people bought their tools for this reason alone. Would be pretty shady to replace 1 set of batteries and give 90 day warranty on next set.

This post is one reason why I didn't jump on the tool just b/c they were having a great warranty deal in December. Salesman was trying to get me to jump on 3650 to get the lifetime warranty. I almost bit. But went with a different brand with a nicer fence.

Jake

Comment

Gator - If I bought a car that had a lifetime warranty, then received a new water pump under warranty, I'd expect them to replace it again if it needed replacing again. When a manufacturer sells something with a lifetime warranty, you betcha I'd expect them to honor it.

They offered that warranty to influence purchasing decisions. Ridgid has an obligation to those who were influenced by their policy, which they profited from BTW. W/O that warranty, I'd hazard a guess that some percentage of sales would have been lost.

Comment

do you think ridgid entered your name and machine model and serial number into a database and recorded that the only part of your machine that is no longer under the lifetime warranty is the wings? Way to expensive to maintain. The receipt is standard issue for all warranty replaced parts. It informs you that if you get a part for something that has a limited warranty and you are in the final days of your warranty the coverage period does not reset to the begining it is only good for 90 days

Comment

A lifetime warranty is a lifetime warranty. In Ridgids case it is against defects in materials and workmanship. The new wings may be defective, they should be covered for much longer than 90 days.
              I bought a Chevy Celebrity with 69k on it for my job. I knew that the alternators are doomed to a life cycle of around 40-60k each. The guy I bought the car from had already put one in. Sure enough, the alternator went bad at 120k, so I bought one with a lifetime warranty,period. I got a free alternator at 180k and 220k. The car died at 240k. I kept the alternator. Now that is a lifetime warranty! [img]smile.gif[/img]
              \"Is it Friday yet?\"

Comment

Guys
                I think there is one key word you left of the ridgid warranty...It is a Limited Lifetime Warranty. the key word being LIMITED. It was limited to Manufacturer defects. In addition it is a standard in the power tool industry to offer a 90 warranty on repaired tools...the main reason...they would lose their shirt if they didnt

Comment

Bo,

you are correct. However it would be shady if they did that to the folks that bought their new tool line just because of the warranty. And I would bet that ALOT of people did. That was their gimmick to get it into the hands of the tool users. I know a few people who bought drills they didn't even need for the lifetime batteries.

IMHO they should at least honor the tools purchased in that short time period. It wasn't marketed as "limited"

Jake

Comment

Bo, you're right about the "limited" warranty, but, that wasn't used until after the product was made by OWT. The original issue was on the 3612 saw, which was under the old warranty. Seems to me, if OWT is buying or licensing (whatever) Ridgid tools, they also have an obligation to honor the old agreement.
                    Dave

Comment

Bo, I see your point of view, but if something has a lifetime warranty, it is lifetime against defect for life, not just 3 months after the first defect is found. I really think it's just a standard message that they put on all reciepts, just like when the service center asked me for my reciept. Ridgid used to tell us to just bring in our tools because they were all under lifetime warranty. They said no reciept needed

Comment

Instead of all this coulda, shoulda, maybe and what if talk, let me ask a question. Has anybody heard of Ridgid not replacing a defective part? Has anyone heard of Ridgid not making good 90 day satisfaction guarantee? I know there was some problems with a bandsaw, and then a bad replacement, but I think that was even resolved to everyone's favor. I would like to know if anyone that actually was left hanging with a defective machine that Ridgid refused to make right.
                        Ed
                        Rev Ed

Comment

The only problem I see is that I used to take my tools to the Ridgid service center and they dealt with them directly. I now have to go through a service center that deals with all makes of tools. they are just a middle mn and a lot can get lost between exchanges.

Comment

Rev,

I think we all agree that the 90 day guarantee is solid as a house. The not replace a part thing is a little too soon to tell. Yes, I have heard of long backorder on parts. Fences not available for 3650's etc. So in answer to your question YES.

But keep in mind, this new manufacturing / customer service relationship is new and started a little bumpy. So.... for people to have their antennas up is well justified. They may get it right, they may not. Either one is a guess. But they don't get none of Jakes money right now. DOUGH!!!

Jake

Comment

Jake----I guess it has to be asked----how difficult can it be? OWT has loads of tool operations. You would think they had a working model of how the department should run. What is it that makes it seem like they're learning from scratch?
                              Dave

Comment

Working...
                              X