Staining and Poly

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Staining and Poly

Is it true that if I use a Miniwax oil base stain, than I CANNOT use a waterbase Poly over it? Someone at HD told me they BOTH have to be oilbase to work. But reading the back of the stain can (I could have misunderstood it) I thought it said a waterbase Poly can be use with the oilbase stain.

Re: Staining and Poly

Yes you can use water based poly over the oil stain with no problem. I've done it a bunch of times.

Comment

Originally posted by velosapien View Post
      yes you can use water based poly over the oil stain with no problem. I've done it a bunch of times.
      +1
      ================================================== ====
      ~~Don't worry about old age; it doesn't last that long.

Comment

I've also used water-based poly over oil stains. Never had a problem. Oil stains are better since they don't raise the grain as much as water-based stains. This makes the first coat of poly sit a lot better, and I think it makes for a better overall finish.

I read your other thread about the sprayer. I have a compressor-based sprayer that I've tried to use with my smaller compressor in the shop, and it just doesn't work well. What I've found is they have poly in spray cans now that is real easy to apply. With the spray can, you apply several VERY light coats and sand lightly in between. The sprays work well over oil stains.

I hope you post some pics soon!
        I put it all back together better than before. There\'s lots of leftover parts.

Comment

Thanks for your help. Last night I went to Minwax and looked at the produces. It did say you can use the Polyclylic over oil stain. I have learned that some company's will say one thing, but those who use it in the field knows that it can be use for other things. Hope that made sense.Thanks for your help

Comment

In my experience, oil based stains give you better, deeper color than water based. I have also used Minwax water based "poly" over oil stains. No problem!

John

Comment

Yes you can, However, give the stain plenty of time to dry. If it is still oily or outgassing solvent, it may cause the polycrylic to not adhere, or cause it not to cure.

Go
              Practicing at practical wood working

Comment

I've been using the Minwax Polyshades or whatever it is called. It's supposed to be stain and poly in one step. The stain is fine, but I found myself putting a coat or two of water-based poly over the two coats of polystain for extra durability in the wineracks I'm making.

I guess what I'm getting to is no problems there either

Comment

Originally posted by Gofor View Post
                  Yes you can, However, give the stain plenty of time to dry. If it is still oily or outgassing solvent, it may cause the polycrylic to not adhere, or cause it not to cure.

Go

Good point. I forgot to mention that. You will need to give the oil stain a longer time to dry and outgas before putting the the water poly over it. I checked the label on some varathane oil stain I have and it specifies 8 hour dry time before oil based poly or 24 hours before water based.

Comment

Re: Staining and Poly - and pre-stain conditionner recipe.

Don't trust estimated drying time on the can. It all depends of the temperature and humidity.
                    They may say 8 hours but usualy it is not enough.
                    The best trick is YOUR NOSE. Smell the dried stain, if you still smell solvent, give it an extra day.

- You can put waterbase poly over oil stain.

- If you put oil poly over oil stain when the stain is not fully dried, the color will/may bleed onto the varnish on your paintbrush and you will contaminate the rest of your can.

- To avoid blotching (pine, maple and cherry) apply a conditioner before staining. The folowing recipe is only good if you will use oil based urethane:

Conditionner recipe: 1 part of oil based urethane in 5 part of mineral spirit.
                    Conditionner application: Apply, allow it to dry then sand gently with 220-grit. Apply oil based stain.

- There is another recipe for conditionner for use with waterbase stain.
                    I don't remember the recipe but it uses yellow glues dissoved in water (I beleive it is also 5 for 1) Maybe someone in the thread could confirm it.
                    Same application as with the conditionner above. Stain with water stain.

Comment

Working...
                    X