X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Polyurethane Questions

I frequently use minwax polyurethane to finish my work and I have never questioned the product but it occurred to me last night as I was brushing - Are there better polyurethanes out there that I don't know about?

I am usually satisfied with the finishes that I get whether they be gloss or satin. I always use three coats by using #00 steel wool in between coats.

I have used tung oil, loved it but time consuming. Salad bowl finish for a crib, went on nice but not much depth to the grain.

I'm just curious. Hope I get some input from you all.

I've used MinWax products in the past but find myself using them less and less the last few years. It's not that their products are all that bad, its more of a case of liking some others better. My favorite for poly and also for stains are ZAR products. I've also had good luck with polyurethanes made by Carver Tripp and Deft.

[ 02-01-2005, 02:18 PM: Message edited by: badgerdave ]
    Teach your kids about taxes..........eat 30 percent of their ice cream.

Comment

Thanks BadgerDave, I will look into those products. By the way, I have been unable to break myself away from the behlen solar-lux stains. The reddish browns please my eyes, and my customers. Have you used them?

Comment

Nope, can't say as I've tried any of the Behlen products yet. Not having nearly as much knowledge as I would like to when it comes to finishing, I tend to take baby steps when it comes to trying new products.
        Teach your kids about taxes..........eat 30 percent of their ice cream.

Comment

Jrusche,

If you have used H.Behlen stains you will definatly like the Mohawk Finishing products line. Mohawk owns Behlen and makes most of their products. Mohawk is also less expensive. Also, have you ever tried Pre Catalized Lacquer? It gives an incredible finish and if you don't have a spray gun you can buy it in aerosol. It dries in 15 min and is very hard. If you try it you will never use Poly again..

Comment

I've found that I like the Zar poly too. It seems to go on smoother and is easier to put a thin coat on. I'm sure I could thin the Minwax with mineral spirits to get a similar character. The difference that I noted could also be a matter of fresh Zar and old Minwax too!

Comment

Since you mentioned Mineral Spirits I'll go ahead and say I am extremely opposed to any finishing products that are mineral spirit based. Mineral spirits isn't even technically considered a solvelt and it takes hours to dry. Solvent based products dry much faster and give a better looking finish, although they don't lend themselves to brushing on.

[ 02-06-2005, 02:12 PM: Message edited by: Steve's Shop ]

Comment

Working...
              X