Rigid Jointer Cutting problem

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Rigid Jointer Cutting problem

I bought it brand new and I have the blades in it that came with the jointer, It worked fine for the first 3 weeks. The issue I am haveing is I am not getting a smooth cut when I pass the boards thru. The boards have small amount of tear out along the entire length. I have tried different cutting height settings. I looked at the blades and do not see anything wrong with them but I ordered the Freud blades to put in anyway. It really looks like small chunks are being chopped out, almost like the blades have been damaged. Has anyone had this problem before?

Re: Rigid Jointer Cutting problem

Has this been happening since you have had the jointer? How deep of a cut are you making on a pass? When using the jointer are you applying downward pressure on the infeed or outfeed side of the knives?
    ================================================== ====
    All of us could take a lesson from the weather. It pays no attention to criticism.

Comment

No it just started happening in the last 2 weeks. I tried different depths even 1/32 up to 1/8. I believe I am applying pressure to the infeed side until I can move my hands to the outfeed side with the board.

Comment

It sure sounds like your technique isn't the problem. Hopefully, when you install those new knives the problem will go away. I had a similar situation with my planer at one time and new knives solved it.
        ================================================== ====
        All of us could take a lesson from the weather. It pays no attention to criticism.

Comment

This might sound silly but if you don't pay attention to grain orientation on your boards you can get ragged edges. The manual has illustrations of grain orientation. Try flipping your boards and running them through from the other direction. It seems odd that they would all be improperly oriented, but it might be worth a try.

-Tom

Comment

Originally posted by Tom W View Post
            This might sound silly but if you don't pay attention to grain orientation on your boards you can get ragged edges. The manual has illustrations of grain orientation. Try flipping your boards and running them through from the other direction. It seems odd that they would all be improperly oriented, but it might be worth a try.

-Tom
            I did that already I ran the board thru then turned it around to see if it helps but it did not.

Comment

Originally posted by BadgerDave View Post
              It sure sounds like your technique isn't the problem. Hopefully, when you install those new knives the problem will go away. I had a similar situation with my planer at one time and new knives solved it.
              I kinda figured that and ordered the Freud blades. I would believe that they are better quality than what is installed from the factory.

Comment

I always apply the pressure against the vertical fence, not the infeed or outfeed tables.

Comment

up date
                  I install a new set of Freud blades tonight and tried a couple passes and it seems to be cutting smoother all I see are real small ripples. I will check the blade heights in the morning when I have better light.

Comment

Working...
                  X