X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Herc-U-Lift vs Delta Kit

Purchased the Herc-U-Lift yesterday as part of the package for the Bandsaw and Planer. After reading some of the comments on reinforcing the frame of the Bandsaw (to reduce vibration) I'm wondering if the Delta base kit (can't remember the number but it's the one where you fabricate the beams from oak) is a better choice... seems like it works really well on my jointer and perhaps adds to stability by "capturing" the legs and preventing them from splaying out or moving at all.

Same thing goes for the planer stand...

Hoping someone here with more experience can advise as I can easily return the Herc-U-Lifts at this point.

Thanks,

-- Sam

When properly set up there is no comparision - Herc-U-Lift by light years.
    Seems many have had trouble initially getting them on right - some simple adjustments is all needed.
    The Delta/Rockler/HF bases are fine too - I have many of each label and yes, they are the same. My HF have even come with Delta instructions at that. At$14.99 on sale - if you go that route - use these vs the boxed Delta or Rockler ones and save a lot of money. And just use hardwood, not anything with flex or weak, for stretchers. I always take it a step further and add a 3/4 plwood base to top of hardwood. It eliminates any vibration, adds extra stability, and I just plain can tell the difference on each one.
    Total cost on these is roughly $18 --- don't know what you paid for Herc's but can't beat the price per unit on these.
    Only thing I would say is if you have real bad flooring, like concrete with big chipouts - they have a tendency to catch a bit. Then again I'd guess so does the Herc
    Wish I had the answers ..... even half of \'em

Comment

Thanks Cranky. Sounds like you prefer the Herc-U-Lift... although there is a big difference in price between $80 and $14.99. I've been to our local Harbor Freight store and haven't been able to find the Delta style kits anywhere. Also checked the HF web site to no avail. Anyone have a HF part number for those things? The Delta is $49 at Woodcraft or $52 at Lowes... For the diff between $80 and $14.99 I'd probably go with the HF kit...

OTOH, do you think the Herc-U-Lift adds any stability to the BS or planer stands when they're sitting still for use?

-- Sam

Comment

The mobile base that Harbor Freight offered is no longer available from them. There has been much speculation as to why but HF isn't talking. Myabe they will bring them back sometime down the road.

I'd also like to add my own thumbs up for the Herc-U-Lift system. IMHO, it's the best mobile base out there and also the easiest to use.
        Teach your kids about taxes..........eat 30 percent of their ice cream.

Comment

Originally posted by SamB:
          Thanks Cranky. Sounds like you prefer the Herc-U-Lift... although there is a big difference in price between $80 and $14.99. I've been to our local Harbor Freight store and haven't been able to find the Delta style kits anywhere. Also checked the HF web site to no avail. Anyone have a HF part number for those things? The Delta is $49 at Woodcraft or $52 at Lowes... For the diff between $80 and $14.99 I'd probably go with the HF kit...

OTOH, do you think the Herc-U-Lift adds any stability to the BS or planer stands when they're sitting still for use?

-- Sam
          I am not sure Sam if I really do like the Herc more? Sometimes I do in its simplicity so in that perspective it's "light years ahead". I see the main advantage is it is incorporated into the tool per se vs tool being added to it. I do like the platform under the tool (discussed above) in many ways - I keep additional items on it under the BS,jointer,etc so when I move it all the needed items go along for the ride. Saves me a trip to get
          And yes - it (plywood)adds support, IMO better than on a Herc or HTC. I don't see any benefit in the Herc lift while sitting still myself - sometimes see a little wobbly in fact if someone has not set it up right. Easy adjustment - one that needs to be made.

I have not tried to order the HF units recently - some say discontinued for now (how can they make a nickel at that price w/ free shipping?) but they do pop up in retail stores here-there so either they have containers still in ports or in warehouses. If you close to a store call to see. Otherwise I saw my local Rockler flyer had them on sale recently and may be still on. $31.99

As Dave says - if one is not incorporating a platform I'd say the Herc is best out there. And before I ever bought a Delta priced one I would go to the General unit. Rated #2 right behind the HTC which is 2x it's price. The rest down list including the beloved ShopFox. The Herc was not included in review.

The General unit is $49. Not much different than the Delta unit - and you have to make the stringers, etc at that on Delta. Nope.....way over-priced.

Have you tried to call CS at HF yet? It is possible it's not on web. Doesn't mean it's not available - just they may have changed P/N or similar. I'd call before I plunked down the extra cash at Rockler or like.

The item # is/was 41915 on HF units. Just ran out and checked.

[ 03-18-2004, 10:21 AM: Message edited by: Cranky ]
          Wish I had the answers ..... even half of \'em

Comment

Cranky,

I called yesterday, twice! The part has been discontinued with no explanation... nor is it available in my local HF store. I'm going to open one of the Hercs and try it. I can always return it if I don't like it. Thanks for the tip on Rockler. I'll go there if the Herc doesn't work out...

-- Sam

Comment

Put the planer together this weekend and added the Herc-U-Lift. Very nice piece of gear -- probably the smoothest base I've seen yet! Took the extra "tweaking" you mentioned but well worth it. Am keeping the 2nd one for the bandsaw.

One "improvement" I'm going to try. We've got some of that uhmw strip at the office -- real thin stuff with adhesive on one side. I'm going to put some on the crossbeams where they rub against each other. May not make any difference but it wil at least keep them from scraping on each other when you raise/lower the unit...

-- Sam

Comment

Sam,

Are you talking about the Herc -u- Lift or the Herc -u- Lift plus for the bandsaw?? I was under the impression that the regular Herc u- Lift (# AC9920)would not function on the BS1400 bandsaw.

I've still got a lift in the box because I haven't made space for all of my new tools. I did get a Herc onto the TS and put the old style caster base onto the Jointer / Planer, but after I got the BS assembled I don't quite see how to make a Herc fit onto that base. If you've figured out how to make it work I'd truly appreciate hearing how you were able to do it.

If all else fails I'm going to go ahead and assemble the universal stand for the thickness planer & put the herc onto that!!!

Comment

I don't know the difference between the regular Herc and the Herc +... I think the two units I purchased were both Herc +'s... they have the extra parts for the bandsaw (little leg bracket things to fit on the outside of the bandsaw legs). Don't know if there's any other difference....

I noticed in the instructions that it said you'd have to drill holes in the planer stand legs for the Herc to bolt up. My planer stand had the holes pre-drilled. Don't know if color means anything, but my Herc units are both the older color (what is that? Light gray or off-white?). I'm planning on opening up the bandsaw tonight to see if those legs are pre-drilled or not...

-- Sam

Comment

Working...
                  X