Ridgid EB4424 spindle threads

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ridgid EB4424 spindle threads

Does anyone have the tread count and pitch information for the spindle knob? I have looked through the parts diagram but haven't found the information yet. I have not found a local store yet that has a reverse thread bolt or nut available that fits to get the information (still looking though).

Thanks

Re: Ridgid EB4424 spindle threads

I'd contact Ridgid's tech service for that info.

Comment

I have one of these sanders, and have the nut, but I don't know how to measure the pitch and thread count. I can probably figure out thread count (I will assume that means count the number of threads in an inch). I have a dial caliper if that helps. If anyone can teach me how to get the thread pitch, I can post it for Stan.
      I put it all back together better than before. There\'s lots of leftover parts.

Comment

It's metric and left handed threads!
        I can't tell you right now what the thread size is but you can order a replacement
        easily and it's not too expensive.

The kicker is left handed threads as any hardware store with metric hardware will not carry left handed threads

Cactus Man

Comment

Cactusman is right, of course! The ridgidparts.com site has this part diagram:
          http://ridgid.arinet.com/scripts/Emp...umer1|Password. Select Ridgid from the 2nd drop-down list, then select Benchtop. The sander is there on the list.

The knob is Part #825539, and gives the description as Knob (10-32x1-1/4in.). Since it's a left handed thread, you'll probably just want to order it from there. Parts deliveries are usually pretty quick.

Good luck!
          Last edited by VASandy; 12-01-2008, 10:06 AM.
          I put it all back together better than before. There\'s lots of leftover parts.

Comment

Thanks for the info so far. The reason for the need of the thread count and pitch is I am having a 1-1/2" extension made for the spindle so I can go to 6" drums.

Thanks again.

Comment

Stan-MT you may want to rethink your project of extending to 6" sleeves.

I say this because of a number of factors:

1. stress on the motor! It's designed for the 4 1/2" sleeves the machine is engineered for.
              2. extra weight of the additional threaded part you're making will stress the transmission
              as it too is designed for a 4 1/2" sleeve.
              3. the rubber form for the sleeves are designed for 4 1/2" replacing them with 6" will stress
              the unit
              4. The motor is a 3/8hp and may burn up with a longer sanding drum. Don't expect any
              Ridgid warranty support.

What are you going to use this tool for if 4 1/2" won't be sufficient?

The argument of availability of 4 1/2" sanding sleeves is not valid as per other discussions they are available at many places [although not often at a local Home Depot---rats!]

Cactus Man

Comment

Thanks for the info Cactus Man,

The extension will be used for bandsaw boxes that are about 3/4" taller than the stroke on the 4-1/2" drums. Primarily sanding aromatic cedar. This is kind of a hosed up unit that I have anyway, display clearance item (missing the belt sander attachment). Only paid $49 for it so if it goes south it will be a good excuse to get a larger spindle sander.

Comment

OK, then there may be some other options and less grief or cost:

1. how about using the stock size sleeve say 1 1/2" then slip a 6" larger diameter sleeve
                  over it say 1 5/8" to make it snug use filler like paper towels or a rag to fill the space between the two sleeves.

2. Or use some PVC pipe as the sanding drum at 6" size it to slip over an existing sanding drum and use filler to ensure it does not slip. 1" 1 1/2" or 2 " PVC 6" tall

3. If you will not apply too much pressure while sanding [which you should not do anyway]
                  why not buy a 2" sanding sleeve 6" long and slip it over the 2" sanding drum. The tightening screw can still be reached and you can tighten everything down. The top 1 1/2" may be fragile if you press the item to be sanded too hard...Again you can fill that void with shop paper towels to stiffen it up.

this way you won't be adding excessive weight to the transmission drive assembly

Cactus Man
                  Last edited by cactusman; 12-02-2008, 02:26 PM.

Comment

Well, I have a source that will make the spindle extension for free, figured that would be the easiest way to go.

Comment

Working...
                    X