X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Simple question...

That i can not find the answer to. I have been through all of my shop notes, and various wodworking magazines, as well as my notes from Woodworks and NYW, so i come to you guys who have always answered my stupid questions without laughing. Got a nice planer for Christmas and now that we have some nice weather i can get out to the garage and fire her up. I have a whole bunch of kiln dried maple that was milled from a tree we removed. What is the trick/technique to joint one face of a board that is more than 6" wide? Is there one or do i have to rip everything down to 6" before i can mill it?
    \"A SHIP OF WAR IS THE BEST AMBASSADOR\"<br /><br />OLIVER CROMWELL

I don't joint the face. I just run it through the planer. Joint the first edge and then rip to width for use
    info for all: http://www.hoistman.com http://www.freeyabb.com/phpbb/index....wwtoolinfoforu --- "I like long walks, especially when they are taken by people who annoy me."

Comment

Thanks Dan.

Just one question then. Maybe I am overthinking this. My understanding is that the jointer is used to square one side to a face. that jointed face is used as reference to true the other face?

If you run a board through the planer and the face on the bottom is not true, then what is the planer referencing ?

Comment

Spaceblue,
        You are correst. If the bottom of the board is not flat, the planer will just follow the irregularities of the bottom of the board. The 2 sides will be parallel, but still warped, wavy or twisted. Proper procedure is joint an edge, joint an adjacent face, plane to thickness and then rip to width on table saw.
        Is it a jointer or a surface planer that you got for Christmas?
        There is a way to joint a board wider than your jointer but I don't remember the details right now. I'll get back to you if I find that info.
        Lorax
        "Did you put the yellow key in the switch?" TOD 01/09/06

Comment

Thanks Lorax

Yeah got the Planer for Christmas. My trusty jp6010 was bought with my Ts3612 about 4 yrs ago! I seem to recall seeing/reading somewhere how to joint a board that is wider than the jointer but I can't remember where. But then again rip it joint one face glue it and then plane the other will work too!

Comment

Ed, have a look at this video on using a planer sled to surface wide boards
            FWW Planer Sled

Comment

Interesting. Looks like i need to pick up a FW jan/feb if i can find one. Thanks

Comment

Nice video, gives enogh info to build one of those sleds. As I said in my previous post I just plane the boards. I do not but lumber that is warped that bad. If I do get a piece that is warped I cut it down to sizes that are jointable and planeable to use. Have been doing this for several years without a problem. Most of the time I used my router to joint the edges. have had a jointer for less than a year.
                info for all: http://www.hoistman.com http://www.freeyabb.com/phpbb/index....wwtoolinfoforu --- "I like long walks, especially when they are taken by people who annoy me."

Comment

Sorry I can't be of more help, but I read a recent article on how to get a flat surface on a planner with the aid of a homemade jig. The article was in either Popular Woodworking or Fine Woodworking, and I believe it was the latest edition (about a month ago).
                  I have also read how a jointer can be used to flatten a board that is wider than the jointer, but can't recall where I read it.

Comment

Fine woodworking has some information on building a sled for this purpose. Here is the link to the video. surface planer sled

Comment

John Gregory provided a link to the article I was referring to.

Comment

Working...
                      X