X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Wood_Junkie View Post
    Just ordered this puppy yesterday. Toolking via eBay, for $299. Shipping, surprisingly, was free. I can't wait to get it!
    I was looking at that add on ebay today. Looks like a good deal. Can you report back when you get it to let me know how the transaction went. The guy has good feedback so it shouldn't be a problem.

Comment

Thanks for all your comments on the Bench Dog Pro Max. Great help! Now if I can figure out how to pay for it...

JD

Comment

Hey

Hello, all. I've been keeping a pretty low profile since I started this thread. Glad to see it's still alive and has been some help. This table continues to impress me and is still going strong!

Comment

Bench Dog ProMax

Well this arrived the other day... 5 days after I placed the order. Shipping and packaging was fine and it arrived undamaged. I received an unexpected (and free) surprise with the inclusion of two Bench Dog Feather-Loc featherboards. Sweet.

It took about an hour to install the extension and get it nice and tight and leveled. The most time consuming part is setting up the miter slot and adjusting the leveling screws. I bored the side support holes to fit the Ridgid table's bolts using a HSS 5/16" bit. Took about 10 seconds, and I just used the oil from the foamy wrap around the Promax.

I'm using a Dewalt 618 router kit, with the 3 bases. So the fixed base is now permanently housed under the Promax. For any handheld work I'll be using the D-handle base. I did a couple of test cuts on the Promax for some molding I'll be making soon and it was solid, stable, level and just a joy to be using. Using the shop-vac, the dust collection is pretty darn good... nay, excellent.

Definitely expensive, but IMO, very worth the money. It fits and melds perfectly with the Ridgid TS3650, without taking up all the room of a freestanding unit.

Comment

Re: Bench Dog cast iron router table extension **PICS ADDED**

I'm new but I looked at my 3650 today and wondered why the pro max couldnt be mounted on the left and the wing that is taken off, drilled and mounted as an extention on the right. I could always need more space to set things to the right of the fence. It looks like it would help balance the weight of the router. I have been looking into getting a pro max and I am just about to pull the trigger.

Comment

You *could* mount the extension wing removed from the left, to the right side of the table... but that's not much different than just mounting the router table on the right side.

Either way you'd definitely want to add some support legs and additional structure on that extended right side. As an alternative you could add some MDF/melamine/plywood, etc on the right side just for the additional space, without adding a significant amount of weight.

Also, compared to the weight of the extension wing, the router weight is insignificant (60 lbs vs. about 10?) And unless you leave your router moter permanently installed under the table, that weight isn't present. I remove my router motor when I'm done, every time. Don't want a stray nut or something falling into the motor shroud through the router plate hole.

I personally just removed the left wing and installed the ProMax on the left. I've rarely found the need for more table-saw top space, even cutting sheet goods.

And if it helps with your buying decision, I felt a pang of pain when I purchased the ProMax ($300 is a heft chunk of change) but haven't look back since I started using it. Well worth the money. Someone else posted a quote I've become very fond of (especially when "negotiating" tool purchases with SWMBO "Buy quality, and only cry once."

As an aside, this proved itself also true recently on a smaller scale.. I needed to install a new dryer vent, as we've moved our laundry room to the second floor. I bought a Ridgid 4" hole saw and arbor for $30 and $14 respectively. I had to visit the other hardware store for something and decided to buy a lesser brand 4" hole saw and cheaper arbor for about $28 total. Lo and behold, that cheaper hole saw crapped out on me about 1/2 through the drilling and I found the teeth were all flattened out (admitedly, I was cutting through plaster, lath boards, metal lath mesh, composite siding, and cedar). I wound up also using the Ridgid hole saw and finished the job in short order. But overall it wound up costing me more - the price of two hole saws.... Thankfully brand "X" arbor worked fine for the whole task.. So instead of costing me $44, I spent $58...
              Last edited by Wood_Junkie; 02-20-2007, 12:06 PM.

Comment

After all these years , I still can't figure why someone wants to tie up there table saw ............the router table needs to be totally seperate ..........i'm mad when i'm cutting datos and need to rip something ......i have to drag out a skill saw

Just for today!
                R.S. Anderson

Comment

Originally posted by Wood_Junkie View Post
                  ...you'd definitely want to add some support legs and additional structure on that extended right side. As an alternative you could add some MDF/melamine/plywood, etc on the right side just for the additional space, without adding a significant amount of weight.
                  Attached is a pic of support legs I made for my router table extension: scrap 1x3s laying around in the garage. They're just wedged in, so it's very easy to take them on and off. And sturdy! The saw will tilt before these guys buckle...

- djb
                  Attached Files
                  sigpic

A Democracy is 2 wolves and 1 sheep voting on what to have for lunch.

Restore the Republic.

Comment

Looks like MLCS is now carrying a cast iron router table extension. For all appearances, it seems to be a rebadged Bench Dog.. otherwise, they've copied it's setup and features pretty overtly. Right down to the dual purpose miter slot and the hooks under the table for the fence

The only actual difference seems to be the router plate. It is not pre-drilled, it has removable rings, and it also has a starter pin.

Strangely, it's not much cheaper than buying the Bench Dog model. About $30 cheaper than most vendors. About $10 less than what I paid via ToolKing (eBay).

http://www.mlcswoodworking.com/shops...n_exten_anchor

Comment

HiHo Neighbours to the south!
                      This forum has motivated me to get a cast extension for my Ridgid TS. I recently purchased the Black Jack table from Workshop supply in Embro Ontario. I believe in the U.S it is sold by Peachtree.
                      Due to space limitations in my shop I decided to mount the unit on the right had side where the existing Ridgid extension is. I added the Ridgid extension outboard to it as well.
                      I reviewed all the good support examples in the forum . I decided to use a couple of Task Quick Support rods (www.task-tools.com ) that I purchased at a garage sale for $10.00 each. They were in almost new condition ,so I went about taking them apart chopping them down , a little bit of welding and mounted them on the saw. Save the remaining parts .

These extensions allow you to adjust the amount of force you want to apply to the bottom of the extension wing. The LH and RH threaded ends allow you to just rotate the shaft and they will expand and contract accordingly. I used a small rubber O-ring snugged up to the nut to prevent its unwinding under vibration. The shafts are normally yellow so I painted them orange in keeping with the Ridgid theme.

A note: the table configuration as seen here is definitely heavy to one side so I plan to add a folding 5th leg that will mount between the two support shafts. I plan to make it from the remaining bits of the Task support rods .

The Black Jack (or Peachtree) table installed great with no problems. I am still in the process of installing a plunge router to the Incra router plate and should have that done in a day or two.

Thank-you all for the good advice . Tero in Toronto
                      Attached Files

Comment

Good Day Again!
                        I spent a few hours and used the rest of the Quick Support rods to fabricate folding legs. All these parts can be found at your favorite Adult Day Care Center -Home Depot. The only parts you need other than the two quick support rods are
                        2- 5/8-11 coupling nuts (about 3 inches long I believe)
                        4- 3/4 " Rigid conduit straps (electrical)
                        1-5/8-11 threaded rod (will only use about 8" per leg)
                        2-Stanley Narrow Utility hinge 21/2" or 62mm
                        Some screws and washers and a pop rivet tool
                        1-can of Tremclad orange spray paint

Although my total cost was around $45.00 because I picked up the support rods at a garage sale the total if purchased is approx $90 USD. If the quick support rods are on special and you have some of these smaller bits then it could be in the $70.00 range.

Here is what it looks like with the folding outrigger legs. All are fully adjustable. The Diagonal braces still rotate but a little stiffer with the clamps. Note also that no holes were drilled into the table saw. The only attachment point is the 5/16 bolts that are on one side of the lower legs that hold the adjustable foot bracket. The original two bolts were removed and longer bolts put in place to allow for the 1/2 plywood.
                        Tero in Toronto
                        Attached Files
                        Last edited by 21onen; 08-21-2009, 10:12 PM.

Comment

Hotdiggity,
                          Just be carefull when you use the Herculift. I have a Promax on my CM 22114 and I can lift the other end up with out much effort. The weight really is biased toward the Promax. Enjoy, you are going to love it.

Comment

I agree . This type of extension set up is not for a TS that is going to move around a lot. Just pulling it onto the driveway was slow. In my garage shop it will be moved very little . I plan to keep the outrigger stands in place to minimize the load off the TS base adjustable feet close to the extension side. Thx Tero in Toronto

Comment

As I am looking into making a router extension for my TS I did some simple testing just a few minutes ago. I sat on the extension wings - both left and right. The saw did not tip under 190 pounds.
                              In order to understand recursion, one must first understand recursion.

Comment

Originally posted by darius View Post
                                As I am looking into making a router extension for my TS I did some simple testing just a few minutes ago. I sat on the extension wings - both left and right. The saw did not tip under 190 pounds.

Wow, I don't think I would have tried that. I have a few pounds on you but not that many (205#). What would you have done if the wing broke or you bent the rails? I am glad nothing bad happened when you did this but I would put this in the "don't try this at home" category. Maybe I'm overly cautious, but I don't think so.

21onen: You've done a nice job making your braces and the legs. I like it.
                                ---------------
                                Light is faster than sound. That's why some people seem really bright until you hear them speak.
                                ---------------
                                “If I had my life to live over again, I'd be a plumber.” - Albert Einstein
                                ---------
                                "Its a table saw.... Do you know where your fingers are?"
                                ---------
                                sigpic http://www.helmetstohardhats.com/

Comment

Working...
                                X