Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bench Dog cast iron router table extension **PICS ADDED**

All--

I wanted to let everyone know that the Bench Dog ProMax cast iron router table extension I bought earlier this week for my TS 3650 is awesome! Anyone looking for a SOLID, well engineered router table that fits their table saw should look no further. Is it expensive? Indeed it is. But, IMO, it is worth it. The table is bomb proof, the fence is one of the best offered and the integral dust collection works very well.

The only "issue" i noted in installation is that the fence mounting points in the extension are slighthly smaller than those on Ridgid's extensions. One hole in front, and one in back of the ProMax extension had to be opened up slightly with a Dremel to allow the stock hardware to fit through. 4 minutes of buzzing, and it was done.

C

ProMax table and fence:

Fence stowed on included hooks:

Back view of fence:

[ 08-08-2005, 03:25 PM: Message edited by: HotDiggity ]

I have been waiting for a review on this very thing. Thanks
    \"A SHIP OF WAR IS THE BEST AMBASSADOR\"<br /><br />OLIVER CROMWELL

Comment

You're welcome, spacebluesonoma. I was eagerly waiting for someone else to be the guinnea pig too. I finally got tired of waiting and broke down. So far, I am well pleased! Perhaps I will take some pictures this evening and get them up for you tomorrow.

[ 08-04-2005, 06:05 PM: Message edited by: HotDiggity ]

Comment

What does that beast weigh in at?
        I'll bet your TS is ready to topple over by the time you get a mid-size (2HP) or bigger router mounted under the table.

Comment

I'ts a little heavier than the stock Ridgid extension it replaced, because it's a few inches wider. The saw is by no means getting ready to topple over though. ADDING it to the right side of the saw IN ADDITION to the stock extension, however, could pose some issues if additional bracing or legs aren't put into use. In my opinion though, adding an extension, instead of replacing one of them, at least with the ProMax table, is not a winning proposition. It is dificult enough to try to get one extension on either side of the table relatively level, if you start to daisy chain them, it may become extremely difficult to level them and to keep them level. This is particularly true when the saw is constantly being moved around. Plus, I'm not big on modifications that require drilling holes where none were present before.

Comment

I can't imagine weight being a factor. Someone did not build this in his garage and attempt to sell it with no testing. The router is centered so there should be no counterbalance issues it would seem to me in my limited rememberance of high school physics that it should work well.
            \"A SHIP OF WAR IS THE BEST AMBASSADOR\"<br /><br />OLIVER CROMWELL

Comment

OK, I guess if you are replacing an existing wing it does not matter. I was thinking of adding it on along side the right-hand wing (when viewed from the front).

Comment

Bob D-- I would love to add it to the right side of the saw, in addition to the stock extension wing, but I wouldn't do it without some additional bracing to help distribute the weight and keep it off of the rails. One of these days, when I'm out of projects, perhaps I'll tackle that one! That extra space would be nice; plus, since I virtually NEVER cut wood with the fence to the left of the blade, I could leave a dedicated subefence dedicated to the router attached to the TS 3650 fence.

C

Comment

With the photos I now can see your setup and understand your setup.

That's why I added my router table to the right of the right-hand wing of the TS (mine is not CI like the bench dog). I can leave the fence installed and unless I am making a wider than ~24" rip to the right of the blade it does not interfere, so most times I can leave a router setup. I did run some bracing from the lower part of right-side legs to add support for the router table, and it took any stress on the rails away.

here's the bracing I put under mine;
                  http://home.comcast.net/~sparc/woodworking/IMG_1143.JPG

http://home.comcast.net/~sparc/woodworking/IMG_1136.JPG

Comment

Looking at your pics again I see you fabbed some stiffeners for the sides that mimic the design of the front/rear factory stiffeners, nice job. What are they made from, aluminum or some other metal or plywood?

Comment

Bob-- My side panels are made of quarter-inch hardboard and help a ton. I just posted a separate post about those earlier today. So far, I'm very happy with them. I noticed that you came up with your own strut solution. Nice work.

Now you've got me wondering about moving my router table over to the other side. Your solution looks nice. There are already a couple of unused holes on the ends of the table that seem like they' d make fine anchor points. Is that aluminum? Are the brackets stock or were those fabricated by you?

Looks like we have the same router as well!

[ 08-08-2005, 06:15 PM: Message edited by: HotDiggity ]

Comment

I wounder if you can share a bit more info on the specs of your new router table, fence and plate.
                        Are you able to do raise pannels with this table top and plate?
                        What model router are you using?
                        what is the size of the opening of the plate and fence.
                        What happens if you add one of the 3 1/4 or 3 1/2 size routers.
                        Thanks in advance,

Comment

Hi, olilugo. Yes, you could certainly raise panels on this table if your router is powerful enough. Rigt now, I'm using a Porter Cable 690 EVS, I believe. The plate is pre-drilled for a variety of router models, but you can also purchase blank plates. All the specs on the table are available from the manufacturer, Bench Dog Tools. The hole in the stock plate is 2".

[ 08-10-2005, 04:36 PM: Message edited by: HotDiggity ]

Comment

What was shipping on that guy? I think I would put mine in the right side. I think there is room for it. Is it possible to buy it without the fence? I have a good fence that will work on that table. Really like the design of your stiffners. Also like the other guys struts. May do both. Thanks for any help.....

[ 09-11-2005, 11:04 AM: Message edited by: Golfmore ]

Comment

Promax router table

Just ordered this puppy yesterday. Toolking via eBay, for $299. Shipping, surprisingly, was free. I can't wait to get it!

Comment

Working...
                              X