X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Oscillating Spindle /Belt sander

I just purchased this unit and tried it out for the first time. I thing it is unusually noisy. While it is running the gears sound really rough like loose metal rattling around. Has anyone else had similar problems. Do I have a bad tool?

K,

Does it make the noise all the time, or only when the belt assembly is mounted? I will say that the belt assembly is generally noisier than the sanding with the spindle only.

The reason I ask, there are no gears in the traditional sense on the machine, and in most cases a significant amount of the noise is made by the belt assembly.

Jake

Comment

I would agree that it is somewhat noisy with the belt assembly mounted, but a fine piece of sanding equipment nontheless. I have heard no
      rattling whatsoever.

Comment

Hi: I agree it's a little noisier with the belt assembly running but it sounds like good smooth running machinery. I assume that the belt assembly is properly seated and snugged up? If it sounds as you say "like loose metal rattling around" then I'd get it checked out before any further use.
        Ross

Comment

I don't find this sander noisy at all. It is one of the few tools I have that doesn't require ear protection. You may want to call service.

Comment

I have not used the belt yet only the spindle, I only got it yesterday. Actually it makes the noise without the belt or spindle installed. At first I thought it was the table inserts rattling but it is definately coming from inside the tool.

Comment

At least it's a light tool, you can carry it back in easily. [img]smile.gif[/img]

Comment

When I bought mine I had to take it back, the motor wouldn't turn at all. It was a hour drive to take it back so Home Depot gave me $75.00 in cash back on it for the trouble.
                Scott

Comment

It's going back after the weekend. Can anyone recommend a good light duty spindle sander?

Comment

I've had this sander for about a year and a half. i use it all the time, and I really like it. It may make a little noise, but it really does the job.

Sincerely,

Mike

Comment

I would just go back to the store open a new one up and have them plug it in and see if it is the same. I was going to buy the Delta BOSS, I am glad I bought the Ridge sander. The belt is real nice feture.
                      Scott

Comment

Working...
                      X